FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

Have you ever heard someone anthropomorphize cars, appliances, etc.? Here's my latest coincidental experience: My 35L was not seeming very reliable since I had last sent it in for repair. Somehow they fixed it so it came back focusing less consistently than before. I used to trust it to be about the most reliable lens I had.

In comes the Nikon 35 f/1.4g, a lens I want to like because I like the Nikon sensor so much. Expensive. Needs -7 or -8 to get in-focus images most of the time (finding out the hard way). Having trouble with its focus accuracy, it doesn't seem to be all that great a performer...when all of a sudden, my Canon 35L starts acting like, "Nooo I'll be good, see how good I am? ??" And it adds another point for Canon, making me second-guess my decision to go toward Nikon.

The 35g really isn't performing great, I am having rear-focusing issues with it and focusing inconsistency, even at f/2-f/2.8 and with varying subject distances (gets worse with farther subjects. The 85 f/1.8g is much more consistent. Right now the 35g is dialed in for -7 microadjustment and the accuracy has improved, but I still get those strays that are somewhat or completely OOF. It's almost like I'm shooting with a Canon lens...it especially seems to have problems with reflective surfaces, like chrome or these duracell batteries sitting on my desk.

I wish Canon could see in the dark and have no shadow pattern noise (and less shadow noise). Then it would be a no-brainer.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

What Nikon body are you using?
And you can Always send the 35mm 1.4G to Nikon to get it checked, I find it an amazing performer, very accurate and sharp without any backfocusing.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

D800

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

What's stopping you from getting a MKlll? Have you tried on out to compare it to the D800?

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:13 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

LivLif wrote:
What's stopping you from getting a MKlll? Have you tried on out to compare it to the D800?

He says it's over-priced considering the poor dynamic range of the sensor.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:21 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

D. Diggler wrote:
He says it's over-priced considering the poor dynamic range of the sensor.

It has been overpriced, especially when it started at $3500. It's still a bit overpriced for what it is, although it's coming down. The dynamic range is limited by shadow noise and pattern noise. The difference is quite extreme. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to decide whether or not it is a worthy tradeoff for the rather lackluster Nikon lenses, however...specifically the lenses I use most are lackluster (35 and 85mm).

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:27 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

As we all told you before you got the 35g, it uses a micro motor like the canon 50mm 1.4.

The 35L has a faster and more reliable AF system (lens), and I still feel you would be more content with the 28g over the 35g. It has better af and is actually sharper in some ways. I personally am ok with the 35g af and slightly prefer its rendering.

Edit, you may be running into focus shift. The 35g focus plane shifts slightly rearward when stopped down to ~f2-2.8. Neither the 35L nor the 28g do this. (the 50L has a bit of focus shift as well, but the 35g may have a bit more)

Edited on Oct 30, 2012 at 04:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:39 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

What do you mean 35L has more reliable AF system? Reliable how, like breaking/failing or accuracy?

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:49 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

form wrote:
What do you mean 35L has more reliable AF system? Reliable how, like breaking/failing or accuracy?

This comment is based on the theory that many of the shorter nikon lenses use a micro motor like the canon 50mm 1.4. Some info that I have read contradicts that, but here is the comment anyways..

Ring type. Faster, more accurate, more reliable design. I may be wrong, but I think the only nikon lenses <200mm that have ring af systems are the zooms.*

*the only thing I have found online says that any lens from nikon with full time manual focus has a ring type.

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:03 PM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

I have a 35/1.4 and no issues. I did have an issue with my 85/1.4, sent it in to Nikon and came back performing as it should. Don't know if you have another Nikon body. If it does the same thing one the other body it's the lens. Ask a camera shop in your are if you can try a used Nikon body if you don;t have a second body or even a Best Buy. If your having issues with that lens at a far distance something is out of sack. Nikkor lenses have a 5 year warranty from date of purchase on them.

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:49 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

BriMcD wrote:
I have a 35/1.4 and no issues. I did have an issue with my 85/1.4, sent it in to Nikon and came back performing as it should. Don't know if you have another Nikon body. If it does the same thing one the other body it's the lens. Ask a camera shop in your are if you can try a used Nikon body if you don;t have a second body or even a Best Buy. If your having issues with that lens at a far distance something is out of sack. Nikkor lenses have a 5 year warranty from date
...Show more

Unfortunately it's my only Nikon body, I couldn't afford to make a larger investment and only bought the 35g two weeks ago. I'm not currently switching all the way from Canon to Nikon, and in fact it seems like it wouldn't be a good idea anyway - instead, I will probably end up with two separate systems: Nikon for some things, Canon for others.

Last wedding, I found it amusing to set my Canon 580EX Speedlite directly on my D800 hot shoe and fire manually. Of course I wouldn't expect any kind of eTTL to work, but it was nice to know for sure that I could use them like that in a pinch.

Another thing I've noticed...I am getting better/more consistent results using my on-camera flash set for manual, usually 1/16 to 1/32 power, for bouncing to add fill to my off-camera lighting. On any camera. I suppose it's because I was stupid enough to forget for a while that any ettl-pass-through system without ettl remote triggering would never give reliable results.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:07 PM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

I switched in the beginning of this year from Canon to Nikon. It's a better system for me and my work flow.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:19 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

form wrote:
Unfortunately it's my only Nikon body, I couldn't afford to make a larger investment and only bought the 35g two weeks ago. I'm not currently switching all the way from Canon to Nikon, and in fact it seems like it wouldn't be a good idea anyway - instead, I will probably end up with two separate systems: Nikon for some things, Canon for others.

Last wedding, I found it amusing to set my Canon 580EX Speedlite directly on my D800 hot shoe and fire manually. Of course I wouldn't expect any kind of eTTL to work, but it was nice
...Show more

You should try ettl/ittl remote triggering... Tried it twice and think I will be going back to manual off camera + ittl on camera. It was absolutely infuriating.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:23 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

After doing ettl on-camera with manual off-camera, and seeing the inconsistency and frequent overexposure, I am finding manual + manual to be a much more predictable choice that is less prone to blowing out images.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:44 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

^ FWIW,

Ever since switching to 5D Mark III and 600 EX-Rts, I have been using them off camera in ETTL for all my portraits. For receptions I still use them in manual Group control, but MAN is it nice being able to change all the settings from the back of the master flash!

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:54 AM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

Edited on Oct 31, 2012 at 04:15 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 35L behaving better magically when I buy 35g

I have both Nikon 35 1.4G and Canon 35 1.4L.

I love both lens and can't see much difference in terms of AF or IQ yet. No calibration needed for both lens.

The following were taken with 35 1.4g recently. But I was using D700 not D800.

http://www.bayphoto.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/GL_Duveneck_house_Hidden_Villa_Wedding_3s.jpg

http://www.bayphoto.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/GL_Duveneck_house_Hidden_Villa_Wedding_160s.jpg

http://www.bayphoto.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/GL_Duveneck_house_Hidden_Villa_Wedding_310s.jpg

http://www.bayphoto.net/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/AC_Club_Auto_Sport_Wedding_119s.jpg

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.