Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Compact Flash connection to iPad

dmcly

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Compact Flash connection to iPad

I'd like to dump my images from my Compact Flash card onto my iPad. The apple proprietary Camera Connection Kit won't help me since it doesn't interfact with CF cards. Any ideas?

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Compact Flash connection to iPad

There is a CF reader available for the iPad thru a 3rd party . I think it's on amazon .

As i was thinking much the same thing i tried one and it didnt like my ipad3 . i gather there are a couple of verions but in the end I went for a CF to SD adapter . Ok it's not as fast as the faster CF cards but unless I'm filling the buffer all the time the difference is worth it for the convenience

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:24 PM
dmcly

p.1 #3 · Compact Flash connection to iPad

Thanks! http://www.amazon.com/iPad1-Connection-Kit-Card-Reader/dp/B005NN8V3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351608933&sr=1-1&keywords=cf+card+reader+for+ipad

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Compact Flash connection to iPad

dmcly wrote:
Thanks! http://www.amazon.com/iPad1-Connection-Kit-Card-Reader/dp/B005NN8V3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351608933&sr=1-1&keywords=cf+card+reader+for+ipad

That was the one I tried , as I say it didn't like my ipad3 . I did try it on an iPad 2 but even then it was a bit iffy . Maybe it was a bad device.

This one may be a better option
http://www.amazon.com/Reader-Compact-Flash-Adapter-Apple/dp/B005D1IWHO/ref=pd_sim_e_4

Also there are a few things to remember with any cards via the camera connection kits (the apple SD version or the 3rd party ones)

1: the iPad will only see images within the DCIM folder (this can be used to your advantage as well )

2: the file names must be the standard length (7 characters I think). You can't have file names any other formt as the iPad won't see them.

3: the camera connection kit is one way traffic only. You can't save to the card from the iPad .

4: raw files are a pain on te iPad. They fill the pad up but the iPad only uses the embedded jpeg . (There is a raw converter app but its slower than usless) . But the worst thing I've found with raw files is that it can result in dead space . Im not sure if this is still current on the latest iOS but I have found previously when I deleted a whole bunch of raw files on te iPad I only recovered a little amount of MB . When I connected the iad to my pc I found I had a lot of memory that was listed as 'other' . I had to Basicly reset the iPad to recover the space .

5: shoot raw+jpeg and the iPad imports BOTH files and you can't seperate them .

I have eventually found some workarounds for some of te above

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:27 PM
dmcly

p.1 #5 · Compact Flash connection to iPad

Thank you so much for taking the time for your long reply! I'll order the one you say is better.

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Compact Flash connection to iPad

don't waste your time, money and ipad power. you are trying to force an ipad to do something it cannot do well.

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:11 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password