Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

trailhiker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

I've been a member of FM for a few years now and post mostly at the Nature and Wildlife forum, but as I hike and backpack, landscapes are my second love photographically-speaking. I'd like a full-frame camera, but I'm making do until then by using a Canon 40D and the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS lens. I think they worked superbly during my recent trip up to the eastern Sierra Nevada and Owens Valley with my Toyota Tundra and Lance 1685 travel trailer that I've named "Discovery", as I'll be retiring next year and traveling on the roads of the US and Canada for a year or two. Here are a few photos from the trip, with exif info. The entire trip gallery that I've done in a "photojournalistic" style, is at http://www.lonewolfephotos.com/TheEasternSierraandOwensValley/Fall-Colors-and-Snow-in-the/25939165_5DDR8q All photos were shot in RAW, processed and converted in Canon DPP software, and tweaked in Paint Shop Pro X3. Comments, critiques, and suggestions welcome.

Best Wishes,
Steve

trailhiker 2012

Fall Colors at Laurel Canyon

Canon EOS 40D    17mm    f/7.1    1/160s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

trailhiker 2012

Convict Lake and Canyon

Canon EOS 40D    17mm    f/6.3    1/125s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

trailhiker 2012

Eastern Sierra From Ed Powers Road, Bishop

Canon EOS 40D    40mm    f/3.2    1/250s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sunrise at Klondike Lake and Eastern Sierra

Canon EOS 40D    20mm    f/2.8    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Very fine work Steve!
Douglas

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM
trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

douter wrote:
Very fine work Steve!
Douglas

Thanks Douglas! The camera and lens certainly seemed sympatico to the fabled "Sierra Light". All I had to do was check the histogram; very little post-processing was needed.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Hey Steve,

You captured some really nice color here. #3 is my favorite, though I wish the human structures could have been avoided in the shot.

That's great to hear about your upcoming adventure. How do you like towing a trailer. How does that work for you? Advantages? Disadvantages? I am toying with different options for some extended week, 2 week trips.

Jim

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:11 PM
trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

JimFox wrote:
Hey Steve,

You captured some really nice color here. #3 is my favorite, though I wish the human structures could have been avoided in the shot.

That's great to hear about your upcoming adventure. How do you like towing a trailer. How does that work for you? Advantages? Disadvantages? I am toying with different options for some extended week, 2 week trips.

Jim

Thanks Jim, yeah, I wish those structures weren't in there, too, but it kinda gives the whole thing a "cowboy rustic" flavor... At least it's not, say, a Mickey D's!
As far as the trailer -- I LOVE it. I have friends with RV combos or campers, and they find themselves wishing they had gone the trailer route as you can separate truck and trailer and take off on rough 4-wheel-drive roads which you couldn't otherwise do. I plan to use Discovery as a base camp, take off for a few days in the Tundra for hiking/backpacking/exploring down rough roads, and come back to a nice shower and electricity. And do it all over again...I used to just sleep and stay in the truck camper shell, but the ol' body doth protest the older I'm getting. So I highly recommend a trailer...

Hey any other questions about trailers etc feel free to PM me...

Best Wishes ,
Steve

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

The last two really work for me. Nice trip!

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Hikin Mike
• •
p.1 #7 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Great series! Love the third one, even with the man-made structures.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Gorgeous scenes!

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Jeffrey wrote:
The last two really work for me. Nice trip!

Thanks Jeffrey! The 40D/17-55 f2.8 really proved to be a great combination. I'd like a full-frame camera, but until then they will do just fine. And it was a GREAT trip. The fabled Sierra Light was at its best then.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM
trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Hikin Mike wrote:
Great series! Love the third one, even with the man-made structures.

Thanks Mike, and looking at your "handle" here I see you're a hiker too, and live in the area here. Then you must have been to the Owens Valley and eastern Sierra, and understand when I say it's one of the premier spots in the West, if not in all of the US. Landscape photographers were there by the dozens; I kept bumping into them, or trying to stay one step ahead of them! And as far as that 3rd one, yeah, I think it blends in somewhat with the scenery, not too jarring, besides I wanted to capture the scene at that moment and couldn't wait to find an angle without the structure.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM
trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Gorgeous scenes!

Thanks Scott! And believe me, it was one gorgeous scene after another...

Steve

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.1 #12 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

What a series... I think you are making due with the 40d just fine. You really did catch some spectacular light in all of theses photos. Thanks for sharing

Charlie

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:38 AM
trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Thanks Charlie, I think the 40D is hummin' along right nicely too! Though I lust for a full-frame camera, I keep that under control by looking at the photos from this eastern Sierra trip. And yes, camera and lens did capture the fabled "Sierra Light", and for that alone I'm one happy camper.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #14 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Lovely photos. The light in the last two is wonderful. Have you considered a crop of the last one? It might be nice to have more emphasis on the land since the sky is so blank. Just a thought.

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:15 AM
trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra October 2012

Phrasikleia wrote:
Lovely photos. The light in the last two is wonderful. Have you considered a crop of the last one? It might be nice to have more emphasis on the land since the sky is so blank. Just a thought.

"Phrasikleia" (boy did I have trouble with that one on keyboard ) thanks for that idea! You're right, the sky is pretty empty; if I crop it that would put more attention on the landscape. And I'm not totally satisfied with the color on that one; seems like I laid it a bit too heavy on the circular polarizer. Thanks for the comment and critique!

Best Wishes,
Steve

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:28 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password