Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2012 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

j.liam wrote:
I bought this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/825785-REG/Foolography_0100_Bundle_Unleashed_DX00_M_1200E_Receiver.html

For less than $300, you can have GPS on your D700.

Well, GPS is not must have feature for me, not to mention it add additional weight to me.

May 04, 2013 at 08:42 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

Wfrank, I agree with shutter and video of 6D should be good enough. Leitax Can be convert back but I can't use C and N at the same time. Especially convert to F mount take time.

I will try one cheap stuff to see how I like it, more user experience on those will be helpful

May 04, 2013 at 08:46 AM
j.liam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

zhangyue wrote:
Well, GPS is not must have feature for me, not to mention it add additional weight to me.

Actually not. It's a tiny attachment to the front of the D700. Dimensions are: 0.73 x 0.51 x 0.43"

Weighs nothing. The GPS receiver can sit in your pocket.

May 04, 2013 at 09:22 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

wfrank wrote:

I have as I said not been investing in expensive adapters and had no infinity problems. But I guess you can be unlucky with cheap as you can with expensive. Goes for camera bodies and lenses too, so why not start with cheap was my take on it.

Well I might just want to rephrase this one as of today. Just got a crap Leica M -> NEX adapter in the mailbox. Loose fit and in all respects unusable. They'll refund it but I mentioned that the postage from Sweden to UK was about the same price as the adapter itself. Looking forward to their response to that one :o)

Never had anything like that with X -> EOS though. But now I know cheap isnt always good, and in fact today it was sheit.

May 08, 2013 at 12:46 PM
alwang
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

wfrank wrote:
Well I might just want to rephrase this one as of today. Just got a crap Leica M -> NEX adapter in the mailbox. Loose fit and in all respects unusable. They'll refund it but I mentioned that the postage from Sweden to UK was about the same price as the adapter itself. Looking forward to their response to that one :o)

Never had anything like that with X -> EOS though. But now I know cheap isnt always good, and in fact today it was sheit.

Leica M->NEX is the one case where I think it's worth it to spend more on a decent adapter, particularly one with a focusing helicoid.

In all other cases, I've been pretty happy with Fotodiox adapters: not even the Pro ones, just the normal cheap ones. At least if there's a problem, they're a little more willing to work with you than a random factory on eBay.

May 08, 2013 at 01:04 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

After wet my feet in Canon, I can safely answer my question now. The best Camera for Manual focus is Nikon D700. I don't realize I use their focus confirmation more than I thought. Especially at Night, I can't judge focus by eyes clearly, the focus confirmation given good enough result for 'mood' shot. 90% of time, absolutely accurate focus is not required for ultra low light.

The reason choose D700 over D800 is pixel density. 36M is overkill if not landscape or studio....12M is enough for 18X24, how often I print bigger than that? I feel shamed even ask myself.

Give me a good color, good DR 12-18M latest sensor D700, I am done with DSLR rest of my life (Actually D700 is close to that already)

Canon's focus confirmation is not useable unless shooting something never move....unresponsive and unconsistent, even though it is the best platform for Alt with shortest flange distance.

Leica M is good for predict/trap focus, but their shutter delay is annoy. Too pity once you thought its reputation for the tool for the moment.

If you like EVF, Sony NEX is very good for WO and stop down at short distance for its real DOF. A99 is also pretty good based on several 'store' experience. But nothing beat look through bright optical view finder with fast glass. The only reason I miss the moment is me but not tool....

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:05 AM
lithos

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

Very interesting thread.

5d2 (I've used it with many m42, contax and leica r lenses, now sold) is not reliable even with af confirm chip. With fast lenses the eg-s matte screen is a must, but I agree with zhangyue: in comparison the D700 OVF experience and focus confirm is another league.
D800 36Mpx on a 35mm sensor is too much demanding in my opinion, and I don't want to have tripod always on my back, even if I print big.

Now I'm shooting with fuji x, and I'm gradually getting used to the EVF: guys, life is easier!
With the upcoming nex fullframe i don't know the future of a99 (and a-mount)... maybe the price will drop enough to make this camera more than an option?

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:36 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

lithos wrote:
Now I'm shooting with fuji x, and I'm gradually getting used to the EVF: guys, life is easier!
With the upcoming nex fullframe i don't know the future of a99 (and a-mount)... maybe the price will drop enough to make this camera more than an option?

Don't know about Fuji, but all EVF I have used/seen so far has slightly delay. For one used to capture what I see instantly, it disconnects me from real world. especially noticeable when things moving. EVF is usable, just need extra effort to get known it such as predict.delay in advance or take more shots..
Theoretically, Leica M could be best without mirror blank out, their M film IS, but M9 is NOT, for its shutter delay.

Oct 04, 2013 at 11:39 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

I was playing with a Fuji X20 in the store today, and I was surprised how natural and fluid the EVF was. With something that good I could give up real viewfinders. Then I realised that it was a real viewfinder, not an electronic one

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:36 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

carstenw wrote:
I was playing with a Fuji X20 in the store today, and I was surprised how natural and fluid the EVF was. With something that good I could give up real viewfinders. Then I realised that it was a real viewfinder, not an electronic one

ha! those kind of finders are great when you can't focus the camera anyway...

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

Yeah, actually it was kinda nice, no distractions. A bit small. I didn't try if it zoomed, which would be a nice touch.

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:51 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

zhangyue wrote:
After wet my feet in Canon, I can safely answer my question now. The best Camera for Manual focus is Nikon D700. I don't realize I use their focus confirmation more than I thought. Especially at Night, I can't judge focus by eyes clearly, the focus confirmation given good enough result for 'mood' shot. 90% of time, absolutely accurate focus is not required for ultra low light.

The reason choose D700 over D800 is pixel density. 36M is overkill if not landscape or studio....12M is enough for 18X24, how often I print bigger than that? I feel shamed even ask myself.
...Show more

With the cost of storage these days, I'm not sure there's much reason NOT to just go with 36mp, since there's no image quality penalty when comparing photos at like size.

35mm film could also be considered enough for 18x24 prints, but 645 is better, and I think the same applies when comparing prints from 12mp sensors vs. 36mp sensors. You might as well take the extra megapixels.

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:55 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

douglasf13 wrote:
With the cost of storage these days, I'm not sure there's much reason NOT to just go with 36mp, since there's no image quality penalty when comparing photos at like size.

35mm film could also be considered enough for 18x24 prints, but 645 is better, and I think the same applies when comparing prints from 12mp sensors vs. 36mp sensors. You might as well take the extra megapixels.

That is the philosophy I used to have, just like people here living bigger house, drive bigger car We always want something more which doesn't hurt....

1, I am still not convinced 4 blur pixel can exchange one decent one.
2, Again, the DOF change is very real with high pixel, zoom 100% itself is annoy me not only time required for my 16G mem i7 mac but also realize critical focus happen earlier or later than I want even at f5.6.
3, D700's huge clean pixel is so please to look at. I don't want put macro lens on everything I take or I see unless it is a small leaf 300ft away

Plus I need think about backup all those family diary type of shots. Too bad, I am addict to raw. I am sure even I get another 36M camera, I will keep my 12M.

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:02 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

Since I bought my D800, my disk has been filling up! True story.

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:30 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

carstenw wrote:
Since I bought my D800, my disk has been filling up! True story.

Just get another 2 TB hard drive.

Rich

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

I have a relatively new Mac mini server, with a 256GB SSD and 768GB harddrive, set up as a Fusion drive, which works great. Since these are laptop drives, there aren't a whole lot of larger options, and those which exist are not enough bigger to make it feel like it is worth it. I have two external Drobos with loads of space, but I don't back those up, they mostly contain replaceable data like rips of my CDs and DVDs. I also have two external FW800 2TB drives, but those are my rotating backup drives. I am reluctant to add another drive to the mix, since it would mean pushing the two 2TB drives over the edge, and I would thus need at least two new 4TB external drives, not cheap.

Anyway, I have over 45000 photos, many of which I really don't care about. I need to make a pass or two through everything and just ruthlessly delete anything I haven't done anything with, and which aren't special for other reasons. I expect to be able to get down to at least 15000 photos, maybe even 10000 or less. At this point, most of my data on that machine is photos...

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:26 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

zhangyue wrote:
That is the philosophy I used to have, just like people here living bigger house, drive bigger car We always want something more which doesn't hurt....

1, I am still not convinced 4 blur pixel can exchange one decent one.
2, Again, the DOF change is very real with high pixel, zoom 100% itself is annoy me not only time required for my 16G mem i7 mac but also realize critical focus happen earlier or later than I want even at f5.6.
3, D700's huge clean pixel is so please to look at. I don't want put macro lens on
...Show more

All you have to do is avoid looking at 100%. Try 50% or something, instead.

Pixel counts are going up and up, and it's a good thing. Moire will start to become a thing of the past with AA-less sensors, and downsizing these larger file sizes will still be an improved image over small pixel count cameras. In another few years, 24mp will start sounding pretty small, I'd imagine.

Then again, I don't take a zillion shots, so maybe the hard drive space just isn't an issue for me.

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:33 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

External 2T drives with USB3 are around $100. You can simply get 2-3 for less than a cheap lens, store work files on the HD in the PC, and back up even 2 copies. I use a 'travelling' drive as my second backup. I feel it's best not to lose discipline with casual shots, and it is a rare year I shoot even 5000 images.

The size of the camera is the same, whether 12Mp or 36Mp. Ask Nikon what is their most advanced camera. Even the same weight, pretty much, the D700 is a brick too.

A lot of people are waiting patiently for Sony to plonk a version of that fine 36Mp sensor in a Sony camera. Latest rumoured price of the 'FF NEX' is around $2000, gets cheaper by the day, Rich

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:57 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

philip_pj wrote:
External 2T drives with USB3 are around $100. You can simply get 2-3 for less than a cheap lens, store work files on the HD in the PC, and back up even 2 copies. I use a 'travelling' drive as my second backup. I feel it's best not to lose discipline with casual shots, and it is a rare year I shoot even 5000 images.

The size of the camera is the same, whether 12Mp or 36Mp. Ask Nikon what is their most advanced camera. Even the same weight, pretty much, the D700 is a brick too.

A lot of
...Show more

Gee Philip,

As I mentioned earlier in the FF NEX thread, decisions, decisions. I will probably wait until January and purchase the 7r or the later coming more "Pro" camera. My medical bills since my Open Heart surgery May 22 have gone through the roof (fell in 2 different Medical Bill years and had to start the deductible, etc. all over again). I am trying to pay all of the bills off this year for tax purposes.

Rich

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:13 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Which DSLR for manual focus, Why?

philip_pj wrote:

I don't have USB3 on that computer. It was the last series without. I need a FW800 drive, which are somewhat more expensive. And there is only one port. Daisychaining is a bit of a pain, to be honest.

I'll just delete some photos, that is even cheaper.

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:30 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.