Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

volyrat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

Last night I shot a Senior Night / last home game for a local high school varsity soccer team. Here's the dilemna. The team has 2 Senior Goalies. One played every minute of the season, up until the last 4 minutes of the game. The coach wants to make sure all the Seniors get to play in their last game.

I get lucky and the play comes toward the new goalie from my sideline, so he is angled perfectly to me. The stopper gets out of the way and I have clear line of sight. Frame 1 is him crouching to dive to his left. Frame 2 is the ball going by him. Frame 3 is him lying face down with the ball hitting the side panel of the net.

45 seconds later, the same scene plays out. 1 frame with him getting ready, next 3 showing the agony of defeat.

The kid is clearly upset. Played 4 minutes and gave up two goals. So here's the question.
- Do I post all of the frames (they are the only 7 pictures of him playing varsity in his senior season),

or

Do I post the 2 frames where he is getting ready to try to make the save

or

Do I hold all of them out

It's tough enough being a teen aged kid, I don't want to make it worse by putting up pictures to remind him of those last few minutes of his Senior season.

What do you think? Have you ever had to deal with something like this?

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:33 AM
shaneroper
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

I would post the ones that don't show the one of the pop scoring..that goal will probably be forgotten within the hour but having a picture will last a lifetime

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:21 AM
GraceNFaith

p.1 #3 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

2 frames of him getting ready.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:31 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

Bob: I understand your dilemma, and my strong feeling is that you don't do anything that will embarrass the kid publicly. You can't know what he would think of the images you have, so you've got to proceed with some care. I haven't seen the images so I'm going strictly by what you've described. In the first case, I'd go with the first and second shots. Okay, so the ball got by him. That's not a deal breaker for me if it's a cool pic of him diving. But I definitely wouldn't post the shot of him face down, not given the way you have described this kid's season and his place on the team. For the second set, it really would depend on the images but, again based only on what you've described, I probably would go with only the one frame of him getting ready, unless you can look objectively at one of the other three and see it as a strong capture of a disappointed athlete. There's nothing wrong with that type of image.

I think you're right to be sensitive to the issues you've raised, but you never know, this kid might love all of the shots you've got. Might be nice to find a way to let him know you have a few more than you're posting and then leave it to him.

One final point: As you've described the situation, it sounds like the kid was very unhappy with his performance, and maybe that's the case. But I'm kind of wondering about the other 10 guys on the field who somehow managed to allow two tough shots in a matter of minutes. My point is that the way you've told the story, the easy conclusion is that this kid sat the bench for good reason, which leads to the assumption his performance was embarrassing, and thus the reason for proceeding with caution with the photos. But maybe that's not the reality for this kid. It's a bummer that he played four minutes during which his team gave up two goals. (Did the starting keeper average a save every 2 minutes?) But he did get to play, and that probably is a big deal to him.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:46 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

Bob I didn't catch the reason you were shooting this event and where you will be posting the images.

Anyway....I agree with Russ on his comments. But there are other factors here like Russ said. ANd I'm sure the kid gave his best....but when you are only given 4 minutes of play out of an entire season....I feel bad for this kid. He gave up X amount of years practicing....and I don't want to turn this into a rant but how good of a job did the coach do to prepare the boy?

I just shot 4 mini football games on Sunday (their Super Bowl) and in the one game this coach comes running over to me with 8 seconds left in the game and said...hey...you gotta get a shot of #99 he hasn't played a down all season. I looked up at the clock...looked back at the coach (probably with a glare of fire in my eyes) and walked away and shot the last 8 seconds of #99 who was in the middle of the line.

If you know the goalie in question or even of you don't....maybe meet with him and explain the situation ask him. Maybe.....because he only got the last 4 minutes of playing time....he may want them because them may mean something to him for the time he dedicated.

Bob.....you have a conscience - I like that.

Oct 30, 2012 at 09:26 AM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #6 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

thanks shaneroper and gracenfaith. that's the direction I'm leaning toward.

Russ - thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I'll post the frames before the ball is by him. On the final point - it was the end of the game and the team was losing 1-0 when he entered the game, so the mids were pressed forward, leaving the defense on an island. His team mates were very supportive - lots of seniors on the team who recognized the big picture.

I personally don't think the goalie's performance was embarrassing, but I can detach myself from it. He was clearly upset at the final whistle, and he's got to walk the halls (now that the hurricane is gone). Good suggestion on trying to find a way to tell him I've got a couple of more pics - I'll see if the AD can let him know. I don't know him personally. Thanks again for the thoughtful (as always) response.

Frank - PM'd you on reason for shooting. On the coaching, the team played in a very competitive league, won a lot of close games and didn't get into the state tournament until their second to last game. I have no idea how the coach prepared the second goalie or how capable he is as a keeper. I do know that the starting keeper (also a Senior) played very well. In that game he made several very good saves and stopped a PK that was low and to the post - unfortunately the defense didn't beat the shooter to the rebound.

And on your #99 story - I was at a U13 soccer game earlier in the day and late in the first half the coach ran over to me as said "can you make sure you get some pictures of #7, she hasn't played all season". I had the same reaction as you, but got some shots. Afterward I found out the player had been very ill at the beginning of the season and had just been cleared to play. It was a pretty good reminder to not jump to conclusions. There certainly are coaches who care more about their records, but there are a good number that care about the kids.

Thanks again.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM
kateman
• • •
p.1 #7 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

+1!! "Bob.....you have a conscience - I like that."

sometimes you have to just go w/ the gut feeling.
from your OP and your responses, sound like you will
do this correctly. the fact that the senior replacement
goalie got to play will, hopefully, give him important
memories in years to come.
and, FWIW, i have to second Mr. Isabellas' and Mr Lauris'
comments. Two very smart/intuitive individuals.
good luck and please, let us know how it turns out.
B

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

volyrat
• •
p.1 #8 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

kateman

thanks for the feedback and positive comments - I've posted the couple of frames of him getting ready to make the save, and with the ball in front of him. I've told my contact at the school that I have several more frames of the keeper, if he's interested in seeing them. I told my contact that the ball is clearly by him in all frames, and clearly going in the goal. Since he knows the kid, I'll ask for his guidance.

I hope the couple of frames remind him of the camraderie of the team and all of the work he's put in practice.

kateman wrote:
+1!! "Bob.....you have a conscience - I like that."

sometimes you have to just go w/ the gut feeling.
from your OP and your responses, sound like you will
do this correctly. the fact that the senior replacement
goalie got to play will, hopefully, give him important
memories in years to come.
and, FWIW, i have to second Mr. Isabellas' and Mr Lauris'
comments. Two very smart/intuitive individuals.
good luck and please, let us know how it turns out.
B

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM
pdxammo
• •
p.1 #9 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

Well played

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:41 AM
N.Cost
• •
p.1 #10 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

I agree, post the shots of him preparing, not of the goals.

Now, from a soccer players perspective and a coaches (I've had both roles), there are reasons kids don't play. It's part of life. Just because you're on the team doesn't mean you're good enough to play but you still put in all the effort because you like being on the team, the camaraderie and what not.

We had players like this on my team, they weren't that good, but we kept them around.

When I coached I only carried 16 players and 2 goalies. I substituted like Europeans which means I didn't. I conditioned the kids that if they started they were playing the whole game. Depending on the type of game it was I might make a few or if I needed to change something up. But you get my point. We played in a premier travel league and all my kids could start for any other team. If a kid didn't play one game they started the next...except our 2nd goalie. I would mix her in now and then but she didn't play much.

So the next time you give the devils look to the coach remember, he knows his team and what their goals are, you don't.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #11 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

You mentioned that this was the last home game. If there are other away games, or playoffs, or even practices, you can get tight shots of the player during pregame warmups.

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:00 AM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #12 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

thanks.

pdxammo wrote:
Well played

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:51 PM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #13 · Senior Night photo dilemna - what would you do?

Steve - thanks - they did qualify for the state tournament so I'm going to try to make it but have conflicts because all tournament games are on the same night. If I'm choosing between my daughter's games and this team, it's no contest.

thanks

Steve Wylie wrote:
You mentioned that this was the last home game. If there are other away games, or playoffs, or even practices, you can get tight shots of the player during pregame warmups.

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password