Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

GeorgieGirl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Edited by Fred Miranda on Nov 02, 2012 at 08:38 PM

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:43 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

I like this. Got some good light & a nice palette of color
Dan

Edited on Oct 30, 2012 at 08:33 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:39 AM
John Richter
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Wonderful backlit scene. Very delicate. Nice eye.

JBR

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:59 AM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Thanks for the feedback. I've been out of touch due to the storm. Sorry about the trouble getting the shot up.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:05 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Very nice. I like this more intimate landscape scene here. You handled the highlights really well on this. I look forward to seeing more of your work here.

Jim

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Hi Georgie Girl.
I love this!
It's not only unique; it's very well done.
Because the in-focus bits are on the left half, you might consider cropping out some of the oof on the right side. IMO that would place more emphasis on what I consider the most important parts of the pic.
$.02 Charlie

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Great, creative capture.

Bob

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:36 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Thank you everyone for your comments; they have been very helpful to me in terms of the descriptions that are being used. For example: delicate, intimate, color palette...these are all meaningful so that I can consider these characteristics in my work and others work as well. So Thank You again!

Charlie - I thought about what you suggested about a crop and so I cropped a bit more into the left and this is what I have come up with. I like the balance of the orignal crop and perhaps it needs more work to bring the OOF side more pop, but you can tell me what you think with this version which focuses more on the subject as you described it.

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Hi Georgie,

I like these intimates, too, and have tried to create similar images. They are very challenging and, because I'm very particular about them, I often find more that I do not like more things about them than features I do like. I think we need to focus our attention and efforts on the backlit edges that are sharp, as that is the real draw of this scene. Like many, this image is too busy with sharp elements intersecting with OOF ones and no real separation of individual grasses. Having bright, blurry areas right behind the sharp edges we really want to look at is bothersome. There's too much stuff going on here with too many grasses and too many overlaps. I'm not trying to disect or dismiss your image. If there were just one or two grass fronds separated against a dark background without any of their upper parts running off the edge of the frame, you'd have oohh's & aahh's all day. Did I mention that it is not easy to do?

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:48 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

Jeffrey, thanks for your thoughts. I follow exactly what your are saying about the intersections and the overlaps. My intial wonder to your comments are would this sort of grass would be contemplated as a single frond since this specimen is naturally so mounding, dense and lush. If I set aside the idea of the entire mass as you suggest and consider your approach to minimize the visual elements, my initial reaction to the the composition you propose is a more isolated and perhaps less recognizable form of this grass. If I accept that approach then I must then follow along and contemplate if that then might feel to me that it would be potentially closer to some sort of a quasi-still life than a quasi-landscape.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Landscape. Thoughts and Coments...

You're right, it might be that. Truth is, it could be whatever you say it should be. It's your image. You need to express what about it is interesting to you. I've made abstracts from landscape scenes that many people could not recognize as the original subject as well as very straight up grand landscapes. Your mood and your vision will guide you. Try spending a lot more time with your subject and look at it from different angles and in different ways well before you take your camera out of it's bag. Always look more to the right, then left, up and then down. Get very close in and then back way off. When one of these things provides a spark of interest that you feel can be a meaningful image, then set up. More time, less exposures!

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:06 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password