Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon price dictating?

lilyphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon price dictating?

I got this message today from a friend of a friend:

FYI... If you plan on purchasing any Canon camera -- You will need to do so in the next couple of days. As of Nov 1st. NO retail sales of Canon products will be allowed to sell the product for a discount. (Same online)

What this means is many dealers are going to try and sell down stock. So the sales are going to be the lowest right now.

Has anyone heard about this? I can't find anything online to back it up, but I did notice today that the 5dmkiii is under 3k now on Amazon.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon price dictating?

The 5d3 is on sale for $2994 at B&H. I'm going to BB tomorrow to see if they will honor my price match as I bought it less than a month ago for $3500. If they don't, I'm returning it and getting it from either B&H or Amazon.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #3 · Canon price dictating?

NVM now they have it for $2994 at BB.com

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon price dictating?

With their economics crashing, why on Earth would such a rumor be true. That'd send everyone running to Nikon. My guess is their sales are also slow because of the blast of different releases with half-ass quality. Also, they're confusing the hell out of everyone with the bazillion different offerings. If I were buying my first camera, I'd hesitate too.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:30 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon price dictating?

lilyphoto wrote:
NO retail sales of Canon products will be allowed to sell the product for a discount. (Same online)

I heard about this recently. I don't know the exact details but B&H was affirming it's true. Canon will be following along with Nikon in enforcing uniform pricing with stiff penalties for those dealers who don't comply.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:43 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #6 · Canon price dictating?

amonline wrote:
With their economics crashing, why on Earth would such a rumor be true. That'd send everyone running to Nikon. My guess is their sales are also slow because of the blast of different releases with half-ass quality. Also, they're confusing the hell out of everyone with the bazillion different offerings. If I were buying my first camera, I'd hesitate too.

Nikon is likely to do it as well.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:56 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon price dictating?

alohadave wrote:
Nikon is likely to do it as well.

Well, if they do, I know two companies that will be going out of business soon.

In all seriousness, what the hell's the difference. If they're lowering prices to street price, it doesn't really matter.

Edited on Oct 30, 2012 at 03:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Canon price dictating?

Canon makes a lot of other products other than cameras. Just because profits are down, doesn't mean that Canon is going out of business, nor does stiffening its pricing policies mean anything but positive.

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:47 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon price dictating?

That was a joke Spencer. lol

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:48 AM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon price dictating?

This is not unusual. In most industries the major players enforce "minimum advertised pricing" or a MAP.

I'm surprised it took canon this long, honestly

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Canon price dictating?

Nikon already does it. The price you get at B&H is likely the same price as any local camera store. It levels the playing field for the little guys.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:16 PM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #12 · Canon price dictating?

Just a couple companies that have set pricing;
a: Apple
b: Bose

Seems to be a good move for both of them

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:30 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon price dictating?

Yeah, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. But Canon does need to drop the price of their gear to normal levels. That's the thing that's going to hurt them the most.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password