Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New at Portraits C&C Please

NCam
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · New at Portraits C&C Please

I'm very new at portrait sessions. Based on landscape work, a family that I know asked me to do their pictures last week. It was either me, or Sears, and apparently all of the kids preferred me.

With that being said, please take a look at these and let me know what you think. I'm looking to start doing more sessions and I am excited to hear all of your criticisms.

_NAC6568s by NCamardo, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/7.1
Focal Length 38 mm
ISO Speed 100

_NAC6575s by NCamardo, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 55 mm
ISO Speed 100

_NAC6578s by NCamardo, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 70 mm
ISO Speed 100

_NAC6629s by NCamardo, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/5.0
Focal Length 70 mm
ISO Speed 100

_NAC6547s by NCamardo, on Flickr

Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture f/7.1
Focal Length 36 mm
ISO Speed 100

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM
M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · New at Portraits C&C Please

The lighting is fantastic.

Posing is abit dull and limped-fish.

Err... the first picture is kinda funny. Seems "lop-sided".

Did you use some greenbox or some kinda portrait mode?

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:10 AM
NCam
• •
p.1 #3 · New at Portraits C&C Please

M Lucca wrote:
The lighting is fantastic.

Posing is abit dull and limped-fish.

Err... the first picture is kinda funny. Seems "lop-sided".

Did you use some greenbox or some kinda portrait mode?

Thanks for commenting! You really think the lighting was good? I just used my Vivitar 285HV on camera. As far as posing, I was told to let them do the work and I know exactly what you mean on the first picture hahaha. The only words I could use to explain their family are "21st century heavy metal brady bunch" lol

No I shot the pictures in aperture priority with a default settings. Shot them in RAW and then pumped up the yellows to give the autumn feel to the pics. They loved them.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:16 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #4 · New at Portraits C&C Please

I agree with M Lucca about the posing. But you're new at this, you're not supposed to have posing down pat. Still, read up on it and practice.

Be sure to number your pics going forward, easier for us to make specific comments on. I'll focus on the very last picture. You're shooting at 1/80 at f/7.1. Why do we care about that house in the background? Why do we care about that streetlight in front of the house in the background? Why do we care about those trees behind her? We don't, on all three counts.

You want to be shooting wide open so you can throw in some delicious bokeh in the background, and then all the attention goes to your subject instead of all that stuff in the background competing for attention.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:54 AM
peterindb

p.1 #5 · New at Portraits C&C Please

I would like such results on my first family posing!

White balance on #2 and #3 looks cooler compared to the later pictures.

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:48 AM
NCam
• •
p.1 #6 · New at Portraits C&C Please

friscoron wrote:
I agree with M Lucca about the posing. But you're new at this, you're not supposed to have posing down pat. Still, read up on it and practice.

Be sure to number your pics going forward, easier for us to make specific comments on. I'll focus on the very last picture. You're shooting at 1/80 at f/7.1. Why do we care about that house in the background? Why do we care about that streetlight in front of the house in the background? Why do we care about those trees behind her? We don't, on all three counts.

You want to be
...Show more

Thank you so much for the help! Any books you can recommend for posing?

As far as the aperture, I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I just didn't want to miss focus on my first paid shoot. I should've pushed it right up to 2.8. I'm using the Nikkor 24-70, so I know its more than capable. I will remember that for next time though!

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:21 PM

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · New at Portraits C&C Please

Howdy,

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

friscoron wrote:
You're shooting at 1/80 at f/7.1. Why do we care about that house in the background? Why do we care about that streetlight in front of the house in the background? Why do we care about those trees behind her? We don't, on all three counts.

You want to be shooting wide open so you can throw in some delicious bokeh in the background, and then all the attention goes to your subject instead of all that stuff in the background competing for attention.

I disagree.

Why?

Here are a few of my reasons. I don't expect friscoron or others to agree, but I would like the Original Poster (OP) to see that others may feel differently and appreciate his photo as shown.

The deeper Depth of Field (DOF) gives this image some DEPTH. Something that is sorely missing in a lot of "shot wide open" photos I see here.

I AM interested in the scene. Makes me think "New England in the Fall." I don't know where it is, but including the scene gives me something of a clue and also an appreciation for a place.

The family may live in that house. It may be the family home. It may be hometown. Who knows? To include it in the picture is a valid choice and possibly a very good choice for reasons we on this forum don't know.

I like trees in a scene, when they fit the theme or are more than something to lean against (as is shown in so many poorly composed photos of a girl and nothing but a tree trunk). Including those other trees in the distance gives me a feeling of "wooded area" like a park, rather than "part of a tree trunk" if they were not shown.

I get so tired of seeing "nothing but bokeh" portraits that are so common on a forum like this. THOSE look dull and common to me.

This photo is a good example of including a natural outside background scene that fits the theme (fall family photos).

I hope these comments help and encourage you.

Now take a look at the photo of the child on her mother's leg.

My Simple Suggestion: Avoid that pose in the future.

Why?

Because at a glance it appears the mother only has one leg ( what I call Amputee Illusion).

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #8 · New at Portraits C&C Please

Ha! We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Steady! But that's the beauty of this forum, getting to hear different points of view and really trying to understand it from another's perspective. And the point is, neither Steady nor I are right when it comes to your photography. Only you can determine your style. You have to decide what's right for you.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:47 AM
tbini87

p.1 #9 · New at Portraits C&C Please

I like the colors in these shots! The posing and lighting are a little boring to me. I also think the background seems a little distracting which I think would be improved with shallower depth of field. I don't think you need to shoot everything wide open but a little more open and the background kicked a little more OOF would be helpful imo.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #10 · New at Portraits C&C Please

OK, all of this offered with improvement in mind!

PROS: Appealing color, good exposure, nice fill flash (only obvious in one frame), and pretty good posing for a first attempt! You definitely kicked Sears all over the place!

CONS: Posing (Try to avoid stacking heads - #2 - slightly offset everyone / Hands! That last shot they are begging for something to do! In family shots, the placement of hands can express closeness and intimacy), Background - too busy - I guess I am like the dog on "Up!" - Squirrel! Where? I move right off the subjects into the background... (Location, angle, DoF), WB does look a little varied - if you shoot people - get some sort of WB device - I use a $15 WhiBal gray card...

Hope this helps!

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:32 AM
cannpope
• •
p.1 #11 · New at Portraits C&C Please

#4 is my favorite. Good lighting, composition, and exposure. Be careful when framing too tightly. Leave room for crops. Good job though!

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password