Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best city/state for Fall colors

ISeek

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best city/state for Fall colors

Didn't get much time this fall to take pictures. But next year, I was thinking of taking a small vacation during fall to some nice place. So what place in US do you have think has the best fall colors. Heard great things about Vermont, New England, Maine and even Colorado but never been any place in the east coast or mid west. Have always been in the west side.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:55 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Best city/state for Fall colors

New Jersey.

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:08 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #3 · Best city/state for Fall colors

I like the Mountains better in the west, but the colors are definitely way more colorful in the East.

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:09 PM
ISeek

p.1 #4 · Best city/state for Fall colors

@Matt
Where in NJ should I be going?

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Best city/state for Fall colors

Reds in VT
Golds in CO

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:25 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #6 · Best city/state for Fall colors

We just got back from a trip driving from Minnesota to Maine via Michigan 's Upper Peninsula.......and the section through Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula was the best!
cheers Andrew

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

astv99
• •
p.1 #7 · Best city/state for Fall colors

In the past 2 months I've been on fall trips in the Colorado high country and Utah, and I just came back from a trip to Acadia National Park in Maine. I missed peak color in Acadia (I'm guessing by about 1-2 weeks) but despite that I was still blown away by the fall color - most of the red had become a shade of rust and there was also lots of orange, some yellow still even. For a real variety of color, I'd say probably Acadia would be a great spot. The whole park was extremely photogenic. Probably one of my favorite parts were the carriage roads which had masses of fallen leaves strewn on them - that was awesome! Acadia is also supposed to get a lot of fog, but I didn't see any fog until the last 2 days I was there. Would've been nice to have gotten more.

I don't think you could go wrong between Colorado or the Northeast though. Henry W's post sums it up well - CO is chock full of golden trees, the Northeast has a great variety with intense reds.

CO has high mountain peaks (usually snow-covered) with alpine lakes & streams - overall a great area for getting wide-open shots of tree groves fronted by other groves, with a lake in the foreground, and a peak (or range) in the background. Google "Maroon Bells" for a quintessential shot of what Colorado is like.

I really enjoyed my trip to Maine though, and it was awesome to see lots of reds, especially with the timing right before Halloween - there were lots of fallen leaves on the ground and roads, and lots of homes had pumpkins sitting on their front porches. It was extremely picturesque, I snapped lots of pics of houses too.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Jet915
• •
p.1 #8 · Best city/state for Fall colors

I've been all over the country for fall colors, #1 for me is Colorado, aspens and snow capped mountains in the San Juans. Can't beat that. #2 would probably be West Virginia which I think is highly underrated in the east coast, beautiful foliage, mountains (east coast mountains) and waterfalls. Lastly, although not in the U.S., a favorite of mine is Nova Scotia and Cabot trail, hills of autumn colors next to the ocean!

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #9 · Best city/state for Fall colors

I agree with Andrew Thomas, Michigan's Upper Peninsula is the King of Fall Color.

Nov 02, 2012 at 09:39 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Best city/state for Fall colors

ISeek wrote:
Didn't get much time this fall to take pictures. But next year, I was thinking of taking a small vacation during fall to some nice place. So what place in US do you have think has the best fall colors. Heard great things about Vermont, New England, Maine and even Colorado but never been any place in the east coast or mid west. Have always been in the west side.

There are lots of places that are truly excellent - you don't have to find one "best." I notice that Utah isn't on your list. It should be.

Dan

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:47 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Best city/state for Fall colors

Fall colors are not all about the leaves.

Like Utah or Colorado, it is also the backdrop landscape that makes an ordinary shot spectacular.

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password