Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · About Phottix strato II triggers

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · About Phottix strato II triggers

1. They are reliable, they fire every time pretty much.

2. The batteries are easily replaceable, which is good since they accidentally get turned on and don't have an auto-shutdown (which is good because auto-shutdowns get activated by flash firing sometimes) so you will have to replace batteries fairly often.

3. The triggers have great screw-lock pc sync plugs for your camera, which is extremely nice since extended use of the pass-through trigger on your camera with a flash mounted on top will lead to them breaking.

With that, I give you this (the reason I am posting):

Every single transmitter (not receiver) has cracked in exactly the same two places: In the rear corners along the mount where all the weight is forward while the cameras are hanging down from my neck in idle position.

This is a design defect caused by the very large buttons on the back. If the plastic were solid like it is in the receivers (and if the buttons were moved to the right, for instance), then the most heavily-stressed spot would probably not ever crack like that. However, they aren't, so they did. I am no harder on my equipment than anyone else who is running (or walking at a very good pace) pretty much the whole day. I only really use these triggers with a flash mounted on top for the receptions, since I don't need that kind of light hardly any other time. They have probably been used somewhere between 30 and 40 times at the most, possibly more like 20-25 times. I have had them for just about a year now - which is right when the warranty expires. I've been supergluing them for the last 4 weddings or so.

I'm not mad, I'm just a little disappointed. However, all is not lost because they do have that great screw-lock pc sync plug, and because it is a screw-lock it should be pretty reliable.

Edited on Oct 29, 2012 at 06:40 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:33 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Where are you storing these when you aren't using them?

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:37 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · About Phottix strato II triggers

The 1's cracked as well (without the buttons),. but not this badly...yikes.

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · About Phottix strato II triggers

yikes.. Can you buy only transmitter? Just wondering. I have 3 sets as well that I bought recently. Hopefully they wont end up like this.

Oct 29, 2012 at 07:01 PM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · About Phottix strato II triggers

I have several of the first gen Strato's and the very first thing I said when I saw a Strato II in person is the plastic is MUCH thinner and weaker. I don't think I will ever upgrade to the II's for just this reason.

I will say that in the 50+ weddings I've used mine in, they are still going strong.

Jason

Oct 29, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Allan Summers
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · About Phottix strato II triggers

I got rid of my crappy Radiopoppers PX and replaced them with the strato's. Totally worth it, 100%!

Oct 29, 2012 at 07:44 PM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Man your must be ROUGH on your equipment. I purchased five total and all are going strong. Used them all this season (20+ weddings) and none of mine show any kind of wear.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:01 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Allan Summers wrote:
I got rid of my crappy Radiopoppers PX and replaced them with the strato's. Totally worth it, 100%!

Ditto.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:06 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · About Phottix strato II triggers

I want to buy separate transmitters, but I can't find them anywhere. Always a set or receiver only. I say in order to avoid this, just don't leave your pass-through on-camera lights on when you aren't using them, and don't let them hang down for too long. And don't jar them ever.

I think that they will work out fine as pc-sync transmitters only since the pc-sync is a screw-lock and will stay secure. I had originally switched to phottix because 1. pass through, 2. NO CABLES! Again, they are 100% reliable for function, they are just...broken and stuff.

Here's a second thing to note about these (and possibly other transmitters): When you use them as pass-through on-camera, I believe (haven't tried to test) that when the pass-through flash doesn't fire (still recharging, etc.), then it also doesn't trigger the off-camera flashes either. If anyone wants to test this, please feel free.

Edited on Oct 29, 2012 at 08:20 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:18 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · About Phottix strato II triggers

form wrote:
I want to buy separate transmitters, but I can't find them anywhere. Always a set or receiver only. I say in order to avoid this, just don't leave your pass-through on-camera lights on when you aren't using them, and don't let them hang down for too long. And don't jar them ever.

I think that they will work out fine as pc-sync transmitters only since the pc-sync is a screw-lock and will stay secure. I had originally switched to phottix because 1. pass through, 2. NO CABLES! Again, they are 100% reliable for function, they are just...broken and stuff.

Maybe you should switch back to Canon and get some 600s.

Jus messin with ya.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · About Phottix strato II triggers

LivLif wrote:

Jus messin with ya.

No way am I going to buy $600 flashes just to have built-in radio transmitters that only work for other $600 flashes. I still regularly use my Sunpak 383s for reception lighting.

However...in another post in the canon forum, I did recently say that I am thinking of ditching the D800 and going back to all Canon. It's just the darn sensor...the Nikon sensor is SO good...that it makes me want to keep the Nikon gear. But the Canon lenses are...gooder.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:21 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · About Phottix strato II triggers

LivLif wrote:

Of all the major gear purchases I have made, the 600's was one of the biggest game changers for me. I am thinking of picking up a 4th

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:24 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Do they still work?

If so just go buy some epoxy.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:34 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · About Phottix strato II triggers

They work under two circumstances:

1. The flash on top in a pass-through situation will fire IF the top part is not too far stretched away from the rest of the body...that is to say, sometimes.

2. No flash mounted on them, they work 100% to trigger the flashes. I haven't seen anything more reliable for actual detonation as long as a select few conditions are met.

I need a minimum of 2 on-camera flashes plus minimum of 4 off-camera flashes for various uses - 2-4 lighting up the room and possibly 1 in my hand. Therefore, to feel pretty comfortable I basically need 7 flashes. That's $4200 in 600RTs...

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:20 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Did you report this to Phottix?

I'm glad I didn't upgrade to the II's. I was tempted to when I was in Macau last summer and they were cheaper.

brad

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Come on, form, admit it. You've been chewing on your Phottix triggers.

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:31 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · About Phottix strato II triggers

I did report it very early this morning, shortly before posting the thread here.

BTW I was storing them either sitting on top of something by themselves or together somewhere. They would usually drain while in my bag just before and after a wedding, when they get stuffed in a tighter area that can easily push the power switch with only a little motion.

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:36 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · About Phottix strato II triggers

DigMeTX wrote:
I'm glad I didn't upgrade to the II's. I was tempted to when I was in Macau last summer and they were cheaper.

I've used mine weekly for a year and they still look brand new. I don't think this is typical.

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:57 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Since I almost always use at least 2 cameras at a time, I regularly have the idle camera strapped across my neck and hanging down when not in use. The pressure in that position is right in the areas that are cracking.

Maybe I'm the only person who has ever had this issue...but it's an incredible coincidence that all three of mine are breaking in the same place, and the only ones that are breaking are the pass-through transmitters.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · About Phottix strato II triggers

Scary. I've had no problems with mine, and I've used them a lot and usually with 2 cameras and both with a flash on them.

What flash are you using on yours?

Is it possible your tightning the lock too much and causing the problem? I've had trouble unscrewing them sometimes after getting them too tight. Also did you get all of these at the same time when you bought them? Maybe its a bad batch or something.

(edit) You'd have to "over-loosen" them to possibly cause a problem like that.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password