Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

I've been using LR v. 3 for quite some time and I love it. It's fast and responsive.

At my last wedding, I had a second shooter who was using a 5D III and I wasn't able to load her files into LR 3, so I downloaded LR 4 so I could edit the pics. I'm on a mac pro with 16gb of ram so memory should not be an issue, yet LR 4 is moving very clunky. Everything I do seems to hesitate for a fraction of a second before anything happens. It's driving me nuts.

Are there any fixes I can do to make it as fast as v. 3??

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1134573/1?keyword=fastest,ever#10841107

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:34 PM
emdzey

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Have you tried renaming your preferences file? That did the trick for me.

Not sure where yours would be located, im on a PC. A quick search should point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps!

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:35 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Thanks Scott but that thread refers to LR 4 on a PC, not a mac.

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:39 PM
emdzey

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

jcolman wrote:
Thanks Scott but that thread refers to LR 4 on a PC, not a mac.

To get to your preferences file on Mac:

In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.

In the Go To Folder dialog, type ~/Library

Click Go.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroom-4.html

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Jim, I shoot with a 5D3. I currently convert RAWs to DNGs and then process as usual in LR3. I guess I'll eventually upgrade to LR4, but for now this works great. It's an extra step, but I usually start the conversion before I go to sleep, so it's done during my downtime. Guess this info is a little late though since you already upgraded.

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:55 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Thanks emdzey but I've still not been able to figure out where the folder is. Oh well, I'll muddle thru this edit and figure it out later.

Mitch, that sounds like a good idea. I won't be using this second shooter again until next year so I'll some time to figure out a plan.

Oct 29, 2012 at 02:03 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Newer Mac OS's really try to make it difficult to get to the preferences folder. I opened LR, went to preferences and showed the presets folder and then navigated up (ie: backwards) from there in the multi column view, until I got to the USER>LIBRARY>PREFERENCES folder. If you go through the MacHD>Users>your name" way using Finder, it doesn't show the folder on Mountain Lion.

Then read this to identify the fight file to modify.

http://members.lightroomqueen.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1148/198/how-do-i-delete-the-lightroom-preferences-file

Gordon

Oct 29, 2012 at 05:34 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

If your on a pukka Mac Pro then about the only thing you can do is delete the preferences file, increase the cache size and put the cache on an SSD, fix the noise and sharpening sliders at zero until you have finished al other edits.

Ultimately, 'No' is the short answer. On an iMac, an MBP and a 4.5 Ghz O'clocked hackintosh/windows box with 16GB RAM and a 256 MB SATA 6 SSD, Its still gets laggy on the noise sliders. Once the noise sliders are set, everything gets laggy.

However, those steps above should get you closer to 'happy'.

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

I have also had not the best luck with Lr4 on my mac. I have tried some of the suggested tips, helped some, but not enough for me. Is what it is.

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:25 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

morganb4 wrote:
laggy on the noise sliders

You're talking about when at 100% magnification?

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:27 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

^Cant tell if at other mags as its not so obvious but assume so. Once the noise adjustment has been applied, all sliders are a bit laggy from then on.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

I have nr set to load on default with every image and I have no lag, even with boring hard drives. and it is also fine if I make modifications to the nr.The only slow downs I see are associated with the spoting tool and when changing modules.

Gordon

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:23 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

And thus is the absurd inconsistency and variability with LR4. I do wish they would use those extra threads...

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

I have the recent 4.2 version running pretty fast on PC, after untold tweaks to the OS, video card and LR. It's one of the most poorly written apps I've seen in a long time...

Oct 30, 2012 at 09:24 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Agree with the comment that everything begins to slow down when using brush or spot tools. I fly through my work until I hit this stage. (one of my last passes)

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

I'm getting pissed at v. 4. When I use the brush tool to increase exposure on a part of the photo, I'm getting speckled spots. I can't wait to finish this edit and go back to my trusty v. 3.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Jim, it sounds like you have not tried any of the updates or other tricks mentioned in the several threads on LR4. You should take a few minutes to read those. It's worth the time.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

Dang, I may just stick with my current method of converting to DNGs and processing in LR3.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:22 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · LR v. 4 pretty much sucks for me

amonline wrote:
Jim, it sounds like you have not tried any of the updates or other tricks mentioned in the several threads on LR4. You should take a few minutes to read those. It's worth the time.

I did try to see if I could correct the issues. But I gave up when it looked like it was going to be too much of a hassle. I was half way thru editing this wedding anyway when I made the post. I'm done with the edit now. No more LR 4 for me.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.