Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

fpimentel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

I have read a review-comparison by Ken Rockwell in which this guy argues that:

"The D600, D800, D800E and D4 produce the same images with the same processing power, the same LCDs, the same green-shift problems and identical AF controls. They differ only in exterior packaging and when Nikon chose to announce them to make them appear different. It's just like 1980 again!"

And he also says:

"Today, Nikon's 2012 FX trio of D600, D800 and D4 obviously were all designed and manufactured at the same time with the same innards, and merely announced in descending cost order at different times to try to hide the simple fact that they're the same camera inside."

The entire review can be read at: D4, D800 & D600

I am curious about Rockwell's arguments since I am using a D800 and the only thing that really bothers me are the huge RAW files of the D800 that take too much space in my computer HD. I tend to agree with Rockwell when he says that 36MP is too much and 24MB may be more than enough for high IQ digital photography.

On the other hand, I cannot buy his key argument that the 3 newest Nikon DSLR's do have the "same innards." Anyway, what do you think about Rockwell's claim about these FX bodies.

FP

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:49 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

He's just spouting nonsense for attention - not the first time...

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:59 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

Yes exactly the same....not!

Move along nothing to see here.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:04 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

I think KR oversimplifies things to a great extent. I respect the guy and he has many useful reviews and guides that helped me a lot when I was starting out. D4, D600 and D800 have similar IQ maybe (according to DxOmark), however, they are different cameras with different features, different AF systems and different target audience. The last point, target audience, is the key point here.

This is like saying that BMW 328 is the same as the BMW 528...

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:04 PM
RDParker

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

I think he's right. Parts is parts, it only makes sense to make the most of what you have on hand at any given point and to package them to reach their intended price ranges/ targets.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:06 PM
fpimentel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

RDParker wrote:
I think he's right. Parts is parts, it only makes sense to make the most of what you have on hand at any given point and to package them to reach their intended price ranges/ targets.

Following that logic, I should sell the D800 and get the D600. I don't know but I cannot believe that all the three new FX bodies are basically the same thing.

FP

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:18 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

When the specs for the D600 were announced, I noticed that Nikon's processing power was very similar among the FX bodies. However, other features differentiate the bodies and their best uses. Having similar controls is a benefit not a liability as it helps migration from one body to another. I think Nikon should have brought out the D600 before the D800 as many D800 purchasers don't need it. From a sales point of view it was money in the bank from Nikon's point of view with the pent up demand for a higher resolution, cheaper FX body. With all his negative views of the Nikon bodies, I don't see KR selling his, which should tell you something.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:21 PM
loudtiger
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

yup exactly the same

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

Only thing I say is if you are concerned about hard drive space wwith D800 raw files, buy a 2 or 3 tb hard drive and add to your computer. They aren't that much money.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

Sure they share same design ideas and few parts will be same too probably. But inside is D600 closer to D7000.

D800 and D4 perhaps have quite a bit more in common, but its not same.

Main difference is sensor source, then CFA (colors) and AA (or in case of D800E, neutralized AA) and ADCs. Which will cause very different results between those three. So far easiest thing to spot is color difference, tho mostly in JPEG. RAWs are more or less similar with D600 having slightly odd colors (cant say I like D800 ones either, D4 wins this for me).

So answer is yes and no. They share few bits, but essence is very different.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:22 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

Buy one, I did!

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM
rc12k
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

Since this thread started with a reference to a guy who admits up front that he makes sh*t up . . .
2. IBTL

Go shoot and make some prints y'all.

Oct 29, 2012 at 07:32 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

harvey steeves wrote:
When the specs for the D600 were announced, I noticed that Nikon's processing power was very similar among the FX bodies. However, other features differentiate the bodies and their best uses. Having similar controls is a benefit not a liability as it helps migration from one body to another. I think Nikon should have brought out the D600 before the D800 as many D800 purchasers don't need it. From a sales point of view it was money in the bank from Nikon's point of view with the pent up demand for a higher resolution, cheaper FX body. With all
...Show more

Well you have a good point. My case is exactly that.

I had been waiting for a high res D700x or similar to upgrade from my D300. The moment the D800 was announced, I jumped ship and sold the 300.

Months have passed and I have now bought the D600 for my wife. After having used both cameras, the D600 was the camera I really needed/wanted. The D800 is overkill for my needs, but I'll keep it anyhow.

I do not regret having bought the D800 though. It is a little sturdy monster that has definite improvements over the D600 for ease of use/functionality (setting aside the different MP count). I would have easily settled with the D600 and be a happy shooter. I am no professional but rather, an amateur who missed the big viewfinders of cameras like the F100 over the miniature DX viewfinders. The ability to use FX lenses at their true FL was a big plus, as I like WA lenses.

Anyhow, I doubt the D800 would have been such a hot seller if Nikon had announced that two FX cameras were in the works. Releasing the 800, making the big bucks and then announcing the D600 must have played off very well financially for them..

Oct 29, 2012 at 07:52 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

One big difference on the inside is the autofocus module. By all accounts the D4 and D800 are faster to focus and more accurate in low light.

When reading things from KR that seem strange it's best to keep things in perspective. It might be helpful to keep in mind that this is the same fellow that wrote this last week as well:

D600

I've not seen any dust spots on my D600, since so many people ask.

You'll see dots on most any DSLR if you shoot the sky at f/22, but that's stupid because f/22 softens the entire photo! DSLRs are sharpest around f/8 to f/5.6.

While we're on the subject of conspiracies, what makes us New Yorkers laugh is how few people outside of New York realize that a third World Trade Center tower, WTC 7, also fell on September 11th. This is a bit odd, because no plane hit it; the plane that was supposed to crash into it fell instead into a

As a native New Yorker these incongruities seem more worthy of investigation than dust in other people's D600's, but as New Yorkers, we have real work to do instead of wasting time pointing fingers. We're more interested in fixing problems we can fix today, not wasting time fixing the blame for stuff that's already happened.

Back to dust, I always have crud on my D3 sensor which has no cleaner, however my 5D Mark II ran for a couple of years before I sold it when I got my Mark III, and it never had dust on it. Those little cleaners really work.
...Show more

Uh....wha..?

brad

Edited on Oct 29, 2012 at 09:06 AM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:06 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

fpimentel wrote:
Following that logic, I should sell the D800 and get the D600. I don't know but I cannot believe that all the three new FX bodies are basically the same thing.

FP

HELLO!! HELLO!!....
1. What are you doing listening to Ken Rockwell.
2. RDParker is either being sarcastic...or....he knows even less about photography than Ken Rockwell.

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:59 AM
RDParker

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

DigmeTX- all that stuff is out there online- Loose change, etc. check it out if your so inclined- KR isn't just bringing it from nowhere.

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:12 AM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

I have the Japanese-made D800. Set aside the feature sets that obviously differentiate the cameras for a moment and focus on the general notion of "precision made, durable quality". Those are characteristics we all want in our camera gear. I have carefully examined the "feel" of the Chinese-made D600. I am not a camera expert in any area but I am a professional museum curator.. and a significant measure of what comprises "quality" can really, truly be felt in the hand. (Just as with a fine shotgun balance between the hands or through the steering wheel of a fine race car.) The The D600 is definitely solid feeling and is winning rave reviews. But it does not feel as solid in my hands (body size difference not counting). There is more metal in the framework of the D800, and just as the Japanese made lenses are so much more solid and smooth feeling than the Chinese variations, so it is with the D600-D800 comparison. Time could prove me flat wrong on the durability aspect...

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:29 AM
edl415
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

KR is the foremost authority on everything....even cars! I trust his viewpoint on everything.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/cars/index.htm

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:35 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

RDParker wrote:
DigmeTX- all that stuff is out there online- Loose change, etc. check it out if your so inclined- KR isn't just bringing it from nowhere.

Oh Wow!! If its online it MUST BE TRUE!!...and....yes...KR..IS "just bringing it from nowhere"...

Loose change really?? Really?? Says a lot right there.............

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:36 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

RDParker wrote:

You're missing the point. It is irrelevant.

brad

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:46 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.