Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · AE women's soccer playoff game

pjbuehner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · AE women's soccer playoff game

Stony Brook defeats UMaine in Orono, Maine today by a score of 2-1

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #2 · AE women's soccer playoff game

nice set

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #3 · AE women's soccer playoff game

Thanks CW100. It was a pretty contrasty day but some residual fall colors helped the background some.
All the best,
Peter

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · AE women's soccer playoff game

Nothing beats a nice clean game of women's soccer. Great timing on #5 "Outta my way, I'm coming through!"..

Edited on Oct 30, 2012 at 06:12 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:30 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · AE women's soccer playoff game

Peter....#1 is a great "sportrait" shot and nice timing on #7. Be careful on the horizons.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · AE women's soccer playoff game

Nice set overall, but I'm going to nit-pick on just a couple of things. Well one thing in particular.

In #3 and #6 you have very tiny slivers of players on the side of each photo that could be cropped out. It's on the left in #3 and on the right on #6. Granted, they don't ruin these images by any means, but they could easily be cropped out and, IMO, would make the images just a bit stronger. Even the girl with the light colored hat in the right side of image #4 could be cropped out. I realize it's not possible to crop out all the people in all the backgrounds, but that hat is lighter colored and it sticks out a bit. It would be easy to crop it out.

Finally, something about that first image just doesn't feel right. Nothing wrong with the action, necessarily, but something about the crop just isn't' working for me. Since her one foot is cut off, I'd probably prefer it be a vertical crop without the dead space on each side.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the action in these, and exposure/colors look good. These are just minor suggestions that might give you something to think about down the road. Keep up the good work!!

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:12 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · AE women's soccer playoff game

I'll take it a bit further regarding #1. Everything is fine except the negative space and the cropped foot. Both of these continually tug at one's eye. Unless there is more room at the bottom to reveal the rest of the foot, it would be a bit bucket IMO. #2 $ #5 intrigue me the most, a slight horizon adjustment on #2 might make it visually more pleasing.

In all, good work

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · AE women's soccer playoff game

Separation of subject from background is stunning in many of these images, and colors/exposure look very good. But I also agree with Scott's comments, and I'm with Matt about the problems with #1. It's a dynamite photo, but that missing foot is a problem given that we really need it to anchor her to the frame. Keep in mind that these are the kinds of problems we all hope to face--all technical aspects of the images are top notch, and then it comes down to how perfect the subject/action/framing are. Anyone providing this kind of feedback knows all too well the frustration of shots that are great except for.... It's one of the primary motivations for getting out there and shooting for a better outcome next time.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #9 · AE women's soccer playoff game

Thanks so much for taking the time to look and comment everyone.

Horizons: At this venue there are so many crooked verticals in the image that it is deceiving (and tough to set for me). 4 looks crooked to me because of the background fence. In fact I used the short legs of the benches to set my horizon which I think is true level...I agree some of these look like the horizons are a bit off. I will continue to pay attention to them and get them as true as possible.
#1...driving me crazy too. This is why I posted it. I like the image but something was bugging me too but I couldn't find the right crop so I left it as shot. If I have time I will revisit that one for another go at it.

Another question for you all. I try to frame my photos as well as possible in camera (don't we all) and in post, I always crop in either a 4x6 or 4x5 ratio. I tell myself that if I cannot make the image work without some unconstrained cropping then I have failed. If I go to print it or sell a print...then there is a problem.
Anyone else operate this way?

Again, I really really appreciate the feedback. I never stop learning.

All the best,
Peter

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password