Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Would you believe, my first snow game!

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you believe, my first snow game!

Yes, I have shot skiing, dog sleds, and other snow sports during my years in Alaska, but I never got to shoot a football game in the snow. But, after moving to Colorado, I finally got to shoot a snow game....I was not impressed. I was cold, camera kept wanting to focus on the flakes of snow falling, flash (shooting at night for MaxPreps) kept illuminating every flake and the frozen grass was reflecting my flash, so basically, the night sucked....

Anyway, here we go. Canon 7D, 120-300 2.8, 580ex II, off camera cord with flash about 30" bellow camera

6. This shot ticked me off. I had the receiver framed, then he dropped down to his knees to catch the low thrown ball. The sign that is behind him states the elevation of the stadium, which, if I would have known he was going to drop to his knees, I might have changed my aperture and try to get the sign and him in focus.

Thats all for now. I have 2 more games from Friday to post later and my last MLS game of the season from last night to post later...

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you believe, my first snow game!

Nice work and great use of flash. I just got a bracket to attach to my monopod to try using flash at night games, can't wait to try it out.

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:44 PM
andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you believe, my first snow game!

I think Carl does an outstanding job with the flash. Many times I see pitch black around the player with just the player and some turf illuminated. That doesn't look like football to me. It's a good exposure on the player, but in Carl's shots I see some environment. If I could shoot like this I'd try a flash. On 7, is he waiting for the ball to stop so it can be downed? I'm not getting the story here as it looks like last rites.

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you believe, my first snow game!

Yes, it was a punt by his team, and he was the first one to get to it. It had stopped moving and he just posed over it....

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:36 AM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you believe, my first snow game!

shooting with falling snow has to be challenging

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you believe, my first snow game!

It does have challenges. Especially with flash. I have rain gear for my camera and long lens, but not for my flash, so a modified ziplock bag and a bunch of rubberbands were used to protect the flash. Even with no wind, you kinda had to keep the nose of the lens down a bit because somehow, snow finds a way to start collecting on the inside of your lens hood. It gets slippery. Illuminating every snowflake, yada yada....When I shot in falling snow in Alaska, I honestly would manual focus or prefocus depending on how hard the snow was falling. You can get some cool images. I kinda wish it would have snowed harder because kids on the sideline were having snow pile up on their helmets, but not enough to be real cool.

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password