New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

My eight year old Montrail Gentroryx 1579 finally need to hit the trash - too many holes and very are more beaten down then any shoes i've owned.

Hung on to them as long as I could becuase they were incredibly comfortable and offered great support for long hikes while carrying 50lb of camera gear.

Unfortunately, Mountain Equipment Co-op no longer carries this boot and neither do a couple of other local shops. I'd appreciate some suggestions for replacements for these boots - which outlasted all of my camera gear

Main criteria is they have to be comfortable for long hikes when carrying large loads. I've bought the running/trail show type boots in the past, but found that after three or four long hikes with a heavy load, they just weren't comfortable anymore.

Oct 28, 2012 at 03:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MemberPicks/Footwear/PRD~5018-010/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-day-hiking-boots-mens.jsp

Oct 28, 2012 at 04:43 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

There is not quick answer from me having had various hiking boots for 20+ years. Some may have a foot that easily fits many brands, mine do not. I have to go to a couple outdoor stores and try them all on with my socks and liners. If I find one that might work, I wear them indoors for a while in case I need to return them. Interestingly, my current midweight boots are Montrail. I liked them so much, I have a second pair brand new in my closet.

For general recommendations, backpacker magazine usually has a "best of" gear reviews which include boots. I'd look there.

Oct 28, 2012 at 04:52 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

I am a pretty big fan of LOWA boots. Expensive but very high quality.

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:57 PM
JeepTX

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

everyone's foot is different, but mine LOVE Vasque boots - from low-ankle day hikers to full-on boots for long 26+ mile days. I wear a US 15, though - and they've started to reduce the models they make that big. means I'm having to stock up! hah

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:58 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

appreciate the suggestions. I am going to obviously go to MEC and Out THere to try a bunch of boots for best fit, but did want to get some suggestions on durability. From the few I tried before I settled on the Montrail was that you actually need to a few hikes with a heavy load, before you can decide. That's why I'm really looking for more info on how comfortable some choices are over the long haul.

I've tried to stay away from the trail runner type lighter boots. They are more comfortable in the store, but after a few heavy hikes, I find they don't have much support.

Last time I was in MEC they suggested Zamberlan, Scarpa, Asolo and Mammut - which were pretty much the models they had at the time. Anyone have any exprience with Ecco - I really like their dress shoes, which is what I wear at the office. Not sure about their hiking boots though.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:23 PM
JeepTX

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

khurram1 wrote:
appreciate the suggestions. I am going to obviously go to MEC and Out THere to try a bunch of boots for best fit, but did want to get some suggestions on durability. From the few I tried before I settled on the Montrail was that you actually need to a few hikes with a heavy load, before you can decide. That's why I'm really looking for more info on how comfortable some choices are over the long haul.

I've tried to stay away from the trail runner type lighter boots. They are more comfortable in the store, but after a few
...Show more

I agree my Ecco's are killer comfortable in the cubicle jungle - but I had zero luck on durability taking their gear to the mountains. Suggest passing on Ecco.

On the Vasquez side I have the Wasatch GTX and the Breeze - the Wasatch is a tank and I drag em over the scree and boulder field tops of the Rockies. Scuffed, sure - but functionally solid. I use the Breeze for when I'm going to be dunked in rivers and alpine lakes a ton, they dry out fairly quick.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

Zamberlan are my go to boot for medium and long distance. Superbly made, they break in quick and last - my current pair are 6 years old and look no more than one or two. I've had good luck with Vasque and Asolo as well, but the Zamberlans are, at least to me, on a slightly higher level.

Peace,

Todd

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:34 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

JeepTX wrote:
I agree my Ecco's are killer comfortable in the cubicle jungle - but I had zero luck on durability taking their gear to the mountains. Suggest passing on Ecco.

On the Vasquez side I have the Wasatch GTX and the Breeze - the Wasatch is a tank and I drag em over the scree and boulder field tops of the Rockies. Scuffed, sure - but functionally solid. I use the Breeze for when I'm going to be dunked in rivers and alpine lakes a ton, they dry out fairly quick.

Thanks! I'll give both of the Vasquez a try.

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:09 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

Todd Warnke wrote:
Zamberlan are my go to boot for medium and long distance. Superbly made, they break in quick and last - my current pair are 6 years old and look no more than one or two. I've had good luck with Vasque and Asolo as well, but the Zamberlans are, at least to me, on a slightly higher level.

Peace,

Todd

Thanks for sharing your experience - I'll try the Zamberlan as well.

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:10 AM
anakha
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

+1 for Zamberlan boots

Anakha

khurram1 wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience - I'll try the Zamberlan as well.

Oct 29, 2012 at 02:00 AM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

Unfortunately for me I hike in the Everglades and have to wear snake boots and also they get quite wet and muddy and I use the Bass Pro shops Red Head brand. They aren't the most comfortable but they are fairly light and are kevlar and lace up almost to my knees. Wish I could find a more comfortable pair of snake boots, they just don't have enough flex in the ankle area, guess the kevlar makes them stiff, as they haven't loosened up in the 2 years that i've had them,

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:47 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

I also use Vasque. I use a full boot that it was surprisingly comfortable. The one I have (sorry I dont remember the exact model right now) is on the heavy side but they work like a charm on rocky terrain when carrying a heavy backpack. Their water resistance is quite good too (providing you dont go knee deep....obviously)

edit: I found this video online

These are the ones I have. I believe they are called Vasque Breeze GTX

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:28 PM
pacman642
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

I like the Scarpa's I have, right now they have some SuperFeet footbeds in them. I've had no complaints.

Oct 29, 2012 at 07:11 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

I have had my Scarpa SLs for 18 years, with a lot of heavy duty walking in the first 10 years - they still look new (well, nearly new). Unfortunately, my foot has changed shape slightly in the last few years and I'm going to have to go and find a new pair of boots - that hopefully will compare. My Scarpas have outlasted me . . .

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

What does this have to do with photography? Not trying to be an ass, but I'm sure there are plenty of hiking forums.

Oct 30, 2012 at 09:40 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

If you don't think the topic belongs here, why click the link? Not trying to be an ass .. ok, maybe I am, but just a little ass.

Seriously, if you hike deep in to the woods to take pictures, it sure seems to me that boots fit the "general gear" list.

Peace,

Todd

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

No matter how much advice I get from my friends concerning hiking boots, I've found it best to pay a visit to my local REI store and try on a bunch of pairs to see what feels best on my feet. Sorry that I don't have a magic answer for you...

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

I clicked because this thread seemed out of place. If I hike deep into the woods carrying 50lbs of lenses or 50lbs of rocks it really doesn't make much of a difference to my feet does it? Maybe a thread about waders for shooting in a stream or gloves that don't interfere with using the buttons on the camera, but shoes for walking while you're carrying heavy stuff?

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hiking boots for long photo hikes

i appreciate the feedback about the Vasque and Scarpa. More boots to test out over the weekend

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.