Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

geaves

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

I just purchased a used Canon 40D that actually takes good photos, but is stuck in Portrait mode and no matter what I do I can't change anything. EOS Utility shows it's at ver. 1.1.1, but the menu shows very abreviated options and even taking out both batteries and letting it set overnight doesn't change anything. Is there some secret handshake magic that you can do in conjunction with removing both batteries that can force the software to reset, or let me re-install the firmware?

Also, when you hit the Info button it has the words Restricted D, I can't find any reference to that in either the user manual or the downloaded service and repair manual.

I'm trying to keep my investment down to a minimum on this body, so any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary E

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

The secret handshake is taking out the two batteries.

I've never heard of the "Restricted D" display. Maybe you have a hacked camera. You should be able to download the OEM driver for 1.1.1 at Canon USA, and try it a 'vanilla' installation.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_40d#DriversAndSoftware

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:44 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Maybe it was a demo with restricted functions.

It likely has a button battery somewhere. Pull it too with the other battery overnight and see what happens after that.

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Portrait mode is one of the point 'n shoot modes on the "Basic Zone" side of the mode dial. So you're saying the dial does not rotate or that it rotates but remains forever stuck in Portrait mode? Realize all the modes in the Basic Zone limit user access to both menus and input controls. So you rotated the mode dial to the "Creative Zone" (P, Av, Tv, M, etc) and reset the PRAM (button cell & mains out) and it's still in Portrait mode? Not much more you can do at a user level. I'd have to say either the mode dial is broken or the internal electronics have failed. Both require a trip to Canon Service.

geaves wrote:
I just purchased a used Canon 40D that actually takes good photos, but is stuck in Portrait mode and no matter what I do I can't change anything. EOS Utility shows it's at ver. 1.1.1, but the menu shows very abreviated options and even taking out both batteries and letting it set overnight doesn't change anything. Is there some secret handshake magic that you can do in conjunction with removing both batteries that can force the software to reset, or let me re-install the firmware?

Also, when you hit the Info button it has the words Restricted D, I can't find
...Show more

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Gochugogi wrote:
Portrait mode is one of the point 'n shoot modes on the "Basic Zone" side of the mode dial.

I figured he knew this... [shoulder-shrug-icon]

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:01 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

jcolwell wrote:
The secret handshake is taking out the two batteries.

I've never heard of the "Restricted D" display. Maybe you have a hacked camera. You should be able to download the OEM driver for 1.1.1 at Canon USA, and try it a 'vanilla' installation.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_40d#DriversAndSoftware

Yep, sounds like hacked firmware

If the suggestion above doesn't work, send the camera back to the seller - it's pretty much unusable in its current state.

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:06 PM
geaves

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Thanks for all the replies. The mode selector does turn, but nothing changes. It seems to click properly into position, but I don't think that's the problem.

I'm looking at the schematics and I didn't see any place for a third battery internal to the camera.

I guess I'll start looking into the hack aspect and see if I can find any way to back out the hack software.

Thanks again, I'll pass on the final result, when and if that happens.

Regards,

Gary E

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:29 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Try calling Canon. 1-800-OK-CANON

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:32 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Does the CF card you are using have magic lantern on it?

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:58 PM
geaves

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

No, it doesn't have Magic Lantern on it, that I can see.

Right now I'm doing research to see what is required to remove hacked firmware. This should be interesting.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

geaves wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. The mode selector does turn, but nothing changes. It seems to click properly into position, but I don't think that's the problem.

I'm looking at the schematics and I didn't see any place for a third battery internal to the camera.

I guess I'll start looking into the hack aspect and see if I can find any way to back out the hack software.

Thanks again, I'll pass on the final result, when and if that happens.

Regards,

Gary E

Check page 171 of your manual and it explains how to remove the date/time battery. It's a button cell that holds your personal settings, date/time, last mode used, etc. It's basically the same as the PRAM backup battery on computers. Remove this battery, let sit a spell and it resets. Sometimes the PRAM code gets scrambled and resetting it forces a reload of fresh code. Fixed my gear many times...

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

geaves wrote:
... even taking out both batteries and letting it set overnight doesn't change anything.

geaves wrote:

Gochugogi wrote:
Check page 171 of your manual ...

He's already tried the two-battery procedure. I think it's a hacked camera.

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

jcolwell wrote:

He's already tried the two-battery procedure. I think it's a hacked camera.

Are you absolutely positive about that? According to his last post it appears he pulled the two 511 (grip I assume) but not the internal button cell.

geaves wrote: "...I'm looking at the schematics and I didn't see any place for a third battery internal to the camera."

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Gochugogi wrote:
Are you absolutely positive about that? ...

You're kidding, right?

There are very few things about which I am absolutely positive - maybe...

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM
geaves

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Guy,

Yes I've pulled both batteries and let it sit overnight, to no avail.

I can't even get to the menu item that let's you reset the camera either and in the Info screen it shows Restricted D. I can't find any referenct to that.

I've contacted Canon, but they just keep sending me automated responses with the first easy things to try.

If we come up with anything I'll update the post.

Thanks again for your replies and help.

Gary E

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:49 AM
geaves

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

That's very helpful, but my camera only shows the first 5 tabs in the menu screen and I can't get to that menu.

Any idea on how to get there??

Thanks,

Gary E

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:03 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

I have been playing with my 40D and I can't see any way of setting a 'restricted' mode ...so very strange!!

The small battery cover can be viewed when the battery cover is open...I would remove this and see if it sets all functions back to the original factory settings...if you haven't done this.

I have also noticed that if I begin the process of updating the firmwear I am restricted to the first five tabs if in portrait mode...but allows the 'format' option. It might be someone has tried to update the firmwear and messed it up...nothing to lose by having another go probably......

Edited on Oct 29, 2012 at 02:45 AM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2012 at 02:43 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 40D stuck in Portrait mode, can't make any changes.

...hacked...

Oct 29, 2012 at 02:44 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password