Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

DmitriM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

Lately I've been noticing family photos on my clients' walls from their grand parents and beyond.
They all are posed very well and look very good.

Then you look at the stuff most photographers produce now... All modern photos usually have peole standing in 1 line. I have to ask myself, why do we take such horrible photographs? Even 1920s photographers were taking better family portraits?

Yes, because it's easy to get in, most of us just bought a camera and started shooting photos,inspired by images from neighbors. Why not advance yourself? Why not take a few hours(It's all you actually need) and learn the art of posing and lighting.

Example
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/4999/75316997.jpg

I can see how most photographers will not want to involve themselves in this convo...but I still hope to hear from perhaps a few.

Edited on Oct 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

While the "epic portrait" or off-camera lighting seems to be the thing photographers are chasing these days we've been perfecting our formals work over the last 2 years. We're getting hired for how we shoot formals these days. It can clearly be different for everyone, but we find that clients and families still care about this and in an era where many wedding photographers act like formals are beneath them or an affront to their creativity there is a real need in the market for good formal work.

- trr

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

TRReichman wrote:
we've been perfecting our formals work over the last 2 years

What has helped you to improve?

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

We do and have always done family formals, but like anything on the wedding day it is tough to get overly creative when the couple springs on you more family member combinations than will realistically fit in the time provided. We do try and try to get all of this information up front so we can give them a realistic expectation of what can be done in the timeframe provided, but there are always some who try to fit 20 different groupings in a ten-minute span with random people wandering off in every direction.

That said, I am probably not going to place adults on the ground like in the sample photo above. It's a wedding, they wore relatively nice clothing, and most of our weddings are at outdoor venues. They don't need to get dirty. This doesn't leave many posing options beyond the standard line, but we try to do even that the best we can. We thoroughly light everyone so eyes look like eyes and not black pits from the shadow of the brow. A large number of our online print orders are family formals.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

Well, we put an enormous effort into preparation so that we know exactly what setups need to be taken and who each person is by name. Then we've established a system so those people have the proper communication to be where they need to be on time. We've significantly eliminated the "cat wrangling" aspect of formals. From there we've gotten the posing down to a science using depth, levels and posing to knock out great looking group shots quickly and efficiently. Basically, extensive planning, understanding what the brain/eye finds interesting, and learning how to arrange bodies to look their best.

I'll also mention that many people place their formals for the background and we've started picking the location for the light and simplifying/minimizing the background has been a huge help. That and just being able to know the best place to take the images (a combination of light, furniture, accessibility) helps a bunch.

I'm working on some way to teach this stuff, so if anyone has suggestions let me know.

- trr

Oct 28, 2012 at 01:01 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

Portraits today are usually shot to include a lot more than just the people in the image. Additionally, we have a lot more focal lengths and speeds to work with that allow us to creatively achieve the results our clients want. Personally, I would never want to deliver such an image as the above to a client. It's flat, uninteresting and boring in my opinion. Well, maybe I'd deliver that if I was shooting the high school debate club.

Edit: iPad auto-correct sucks donkey.

Edited on Oct 28, 2012 at 06:02 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2012 at 01:04 PM
coreymatthew
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

People still shoot portraits that way... if they are doing team pictures at the high school.

Oct 28, 2012 at 05:25 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

DmitriM wrote:
Lately I've been noticing family photos on my clients' walls from their grand parents and beyond.

Example
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/4999/75316997.jpg

I can see how most photographers will not want to involve themselves in this convo...but I still hope to hear from perhaps a few.

Do you do portraits this way? If not, why not?

Oct 28, 2012 at 05:40 PM
deeno
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

I can't tell which one's the bride....

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:31 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

alohadave wrote:
Do you do portraits this way? If not, why not?

I do, unless clients don't want it.
Here's an example of what I try to do.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1063/wedding439.jpg

Here's an image I took yesterday at my client's place. All pictures were taken by typical local photographers.
You can see how beautiful the first photo is from 1922

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2715/img6474a.jpg

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:34 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

deeno wrote:
I can't tell which one's the bride....

Bride can be any of them....that's the thing!

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:39 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

Ryan Britton wrote:
We do and have always done family formals, but like anything on the wedding day it is tough to get overly creative when the couple springs on you more family member combinations than will realistically fit in the time provided. We do try and try to get all of this information up front so we can give them a realistic expectation of what can be done in the timeframe provided, but there are always some who try to fit 20 different groupings in a ten-minute span with random people wandering off in every direction.

That said, I am probably not
...Show more

You'd be surprised how willing people are when they trust it's needed for a good photo. When I started doing it, I was surprised how many "yah, no problem" I was getting. Yes, not everyone will want to do that, but a lot of folks will still be happy to be sitting on chairs or doing SOMETHING OTHER THAN STANDING IN LINE.

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:41 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

For weddings time is limited and valuable. For a portrait shoot we spend more time posing.

I never really have a problem with sitting people on the floor. There are those who will not and those who will. When you have people who cooperate and are willing to sit on the floor we will have them do that and have the other (complainer) stand.

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:54 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

I am one of the people that suck at this...but desperately want to improve it.

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:15 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

If I can find a chair or two to create some depth I will, but like last Saturday, it can be like herding cats and suddenly we're running late. Anyway, I'll do what I can in the time frame I'm given.

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:20 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

DmitriM wrote:

Then you look at the stuff most photographers produce now... All modern photos usually have peole standing in 1 line. I have to ask myself, why do we take such horrible photographs? Even 1920s photographers were taking better family portraits?

Yes, because it's easy to get in, most of us just bought a camera and started shooting photos,inspired by images from neighbors. Why not advance yourself? Why not take a few hours(It's all you actually need)
...Show more

Interesting thread thanks for bringing up - I'm still work in progress so wont comment on others work but here is one I did from my last wedding - just the "women power" and bride and her family loved it especially as it reflects 4 generations in one frame.

http://www.sonujoshi.net/Weddings/Stacey-Weds-Erik/i-BZQKjq4/0/L/120922-SE-300-MG7816-Edit-L.jpg.

Is it perfect ? Nope, I think this could still be improved. But one important aspect is bride loved this one for the meaning it conveys for herself and her family. Was this planned shot, nope it wasnt planned. It was more of improvisation upon what was available at that moment.

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:02 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

Clients started asking for no posed images. What they meant was they did not want a line up, or a poorly posed image.

Photographers took this literally and moved toward a more pj style which seemed to fit the request.

But here is the pinch. By moving to what they thought the clients wanted they never developed the skills to pose. Now because there are always some posed group shots in most weddings these unskilled shooters do what? they do a line up thinking that by not being too controlled the shot is more unposed.

Therefore giving clients the very thing they didn't want.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

mjoshi wrote:
http://www.sonujoshi.net/Weddings/Stacey-Weds-Erik/i-BZQKjq4/0/L/120922-SE-300-MG7816-Edit-L.jpg

That's nice, mjoshi!

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

D. Diggler wrote:
That's nice, mjoshi!

+1. It's simple yet great. If it was from my wedding, I would've been happy

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM
katiedis
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why did we forget how to take good portraits?

I am going to venture a guess that WEDDINGS themselves were quite different in the 1920s. Less activities to compete with portrait time. More time to set up a studio light and take the portraits (or travel to a studio to get the portrait done). Far fewer people in attendance, far fewer family members present. Hemlines were longer (women could sit). Chairs were beautiful and plentiful.

Today's weddings are so packed with activities and transportation and timing and schedule, that very little time can be allocated to a true "portrait" session for family photos. My clients prefer that the photos are a minimal time impact on the overall day. Finding chairs and props is time consuming. Crowd control is difficult now that weddings have over 200 guests milling about in the background of many areas during portraits. Lots has changed since the 1920s.

It's photos about a day...not a day about photos. With rare exception, weddings themselves are different enough from the 1920s that those style of heavily posed photos are unrealistic for the vast majority of my clients. And, I see little value in them myself in a wedding context. However, as a portrait session separately...absolutely.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.