Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Goodbye Sigma, hello Tokina

calamanthus

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Goodbye Sigma, hello Tokina

After four years of moderate use, auto focus on my Sigma 105 macro failed in a big way with a horrible noise coming from the D90 when attempting to focus from distance to close up. I certainly wouldn't have expected a mechanically driven lens to fail like that after such a relatively short time. After much deliberation decided on a Tokina 100 and although it's early days I think it beats the Sigma in all respects.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Goodbye Sigma, hello Tokina

auto focus on a macro lens ?- what's that

Yes my sigma 105 packed in with a sticky aperture after 5 years heavy use and I swapped to a Tamron 90.
Brian V.

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:32 AM
calamanthus

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Goodbye Sigma, hello Tokina

My macro lens gets much of its use photographing moths on the sheet at night. The action can get pretty frantic and there is just not the time to use manual focus. The moths and the photographer are moving constantly, all shots are hand held, often in haste, and auto focus is the way to catch them. I do of course use manual focus when there is the time and need, small subjects in poor light for instance. In the work I do in the Australian bush there's a place for both. Cheers.

Oct 28, 2012 at 04:50 AM
sassykoi
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Goodbye Sigma, hello Tokina

I love my Tokina 100

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Goodbye Sigma, hello Tokina

LordV wrote:
auto focus on a macro lens ?- what's that .

It's a device for giving your subject a sporting chance. It also gives you at time to look for your next subject while it is trying to lock the focus

I am not a fan!

Harold

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:38 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.