Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hockey Tyro

ssc45
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey Tyro

We took my 3 year old grandson for his first hockey lesson. I have never shot hockey or any indoor sports. Read a bunch. Took a bunch of test shots and settled on a WB of 3700K. Switched from 70-200F4is to my 85 1.8 for a bit more speed. Had to shoot through the glass and there was some glare at times. I am not too unhappy for our first time, but there is always room to improve. Any thoughts and feedback is appreciated. I do shoot in jpeg.

Cheers, Steve

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Widgic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey Tyro

It looks like your white balance is off (greenish). It's hard to judge the white balance by looking at the display on the back of your camera as these are usually not color calibrated.

My recommendation is to get a grey card.

If you shoot in JPEG, do a custom white balance before you shoot (make sure that you set your shutter speed at 1/60 to absorb a full cycle of the lights).

If you switch to shooting in RAW, you can just shoot a few pictures of your grey card in various sports / orientations around the rink and use that in post to adjust the white balance.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:49 AM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey Tyro

Nice work, especially 2 & 4. White balance looks good in # 4 but it might be because of the crop

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:47 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey Tyro

Thanks for the feedback. I will do the custom white balance next time. Looks like it is time to buy a 70-200 2.8.

Cheers, Steve

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey Tyro

You can always do a custom white balance off a dirty sheet of ice (before the zamboni takes the ice). That will give you a good setting as well. Figure its not easy to get a grey card on the ice and then back off!!

And they are a little underexposed, try for 2/3 - 1 stop overexposure as the ice will throw off the internal meter.

Nov 06, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Myra J

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hockey Tyro

Steve, I shot hockey for two years with an 85/1.8. It's a super lens. Did you try automatic WB? I know some people might gasp at that idea, but it's worth a try. If you're like me, you tend to wander to different spots around the rink, so doing custom WB might not always be practical, unless you can do this in advance and then note/change your settings as you go.

You might also want to play around with shooting in shutter priority if you're using your 85mm. You can probably freeze those little fellows at 1/200 to 1/400 with an ISO anywhere between 800 and 1600 depending on your rink's lighting. If your camera has auto ISO, see what that can do for you, too. Just take a whole lot of photos using different settings. When you're viewing them at home, you can determine which ones worked best.

As soon as you get the technical aspects established, you'll be amazed at how great your photos will look!

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:50 AM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hockey Tyro

Thanks for the info. I will do the custom white balance off the ice. I shot 1/3 OE. I will try 2/3.
Thanks Myra. I might try AWB, just to see the results. I need to practice and use different settings. Who knows, I might get lucky.

Cheers, Steve

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:18 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password