Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Wood Fired Pizza

neighbourboy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wood Fired Pizza

A really good friend of mine and his lovely wife started a small pizza company. I went out and took a few pictures for their website and such. Of course they paid me with pizza! Granted I'm biased 'cuz he's my friend, but it was good - *really* good. It was a bit of a drive for me, but I'll be back to get some more pizza for sure. If you're ever in Maple Valley, WA be sure and stop by - they're on the corner of Hwy 169 and 516.

Interesting side story - I was taking the pictures and I noticed a gentleman that would literally jump outta the way when I pointed the camera in his direction. I flashed him a big grin and he came over to me. He was extremely nice and told me that he's in law enforcement and prefers not to have his picture floating around. I apologized profusely and deleted the pictures that even showed a hint of him, right there for him. From then on out, I asked permission from all the customers to have them in my pictures.

Always open to CC

7 I scrambled her signature, just to be safe

Thanks
--David

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:36 PM
millerguy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wood Fired Pizza

Very nice....................

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:39 PM
TTee

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wood Fired Pizza

Nice job. I really like the montage of #6.

Oct 27, 2012 at 09:00 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wood Fired Pizza

Hold onto that first one.
The Texaco sign in the background with the gas prices might make for interesting yesteryear conversation one day!

-T

Oct 27, 2012 at 09:49 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wood Fired Pizza

I'm hungry now.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wood Fired Pizza

T-bone1 wrote:
Hold onto that first one.
The Texaco sign in the background with the gas prices might make for interesting yesteryear conversation one day!

-T

Not really. The sign is 90% obscured!

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wood Fired Pizza

rattymouse wrote:
Not really. The sign is 90% obscured!

I don't understand this comment.
However, to be clear and to be sure the original poster knows I am not making a smarmy comment about the depth of field, I made the comment in reference to the times we view old photos today where a gas price sign is viewable in the background. The price stirs fun conversation.
Hence, any part of this Texaco sign which is obscured is not relevant, and the current price may stir conversation in the future.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wood Fired Pizza

Neighbourboy -- you've done an excellent job here as your photos tell a nice story. My wife and I have owned a pizza restaraunt for 24 years and your photos made me smile.

By looking at your photos I can tell a lot about the couple featured in them and even feel like I know them, they remind me a lot about our pizza restaraunt start up nearly a quarter century ago.

FWIW just a couple of nits that I think would help make this photo project just a little better:

The top photo in 1) has a busy background, especially the "Texaco sign" as it pulls my attention away from the trailer, the light pole is a little distracting as well but not as bad as the "Texaco sign." The black sign also competes with the black trailer and at first I wasn't sure where one stopped and the other started. I'd also crop down a little and lose the stop light's "red lights, maybe not all of the light just the glowing "red lights" as they pull my eyes up.

The picture as a whole is a nice establishing shot and would be better, even as is with a little tighter cropping on the top. It would also be better if it had some actual moving (blurred) "car traffic" in the background.

The "soda bucket display" in the background of the bottom photo in 4) and the "blue hoodie" in the background of the bottom photo of 5) are also a little distracting as their focus is a little too sharp and my eye wants to wander there.

Some of your crops are a little awkward, your use of the triptych, quadtych etc. framing technique is the culprit here as that style of framing usually has to compromise "croping and sizing" somewhere as I've described below.

In the top photo in 3) I would like to see a little more of the sauce laddle, in the top photo in 4) I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of the oven (on the left) and in the top photo in 6) I want to see more of the pizza cutter wheel. If they were a little wider, especially if they included more of the items I mentioned this photo project would be better.

Again you've done a great job here, just take my C&C for what its worth as I'm probably being a little to picky. Thanks again for posting these pictures I really enjoyed them.

Steve

Oct 28, 2012 at 01:34 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wood Fired Pizza

Overall, really good stuff. I think the opening image is a little awkward, but I realize that you may *need* to get a shot showing the entire truck. Honestly, I think you could have opened with the last image (just their logo) and it would have been better. We get shots of the truck throughout so the opening with the busy background could be tossed.

#6 is just fantastic. The piping hot pizza is great and mouth-watering. 6 is going to be a really strong set of images for their website.

Love the action in # 2.

My 2 cents....

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:05 AM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wood Fired Pizza

I'll have a Red Star and a Mexican Coke. I'll bet the aroma of the wood smoke and pizza cooking pulls in a crowd wherever they set up shop. Your pictures work for me because I am craving one of their pizzas and if they were in the my area I would definitely give them a visit. Gas is .40 cents a gallon cheaper here in Wisconsin, so I guess we don't have to wait for "yesteryear" to take notice of that.

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:19 AM

rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wood Fired Pizza

T-bone1 wrote:
I don't understand this comment.
However, to be clear and to be sure the original poster knows I am not making a smarmy comment about the depth of field, I made the comment in reference to the times we view old photos today where a gas price sign is viewable in the background. The price stirs fun conversation.
Hence, any part of this Texaco sign which is obscured is not relevant, and the current price may stir conversation in the future.

AH, my mistake! I was thinking about the disappearance of the Texaco company. That's why I focused on the brand sign and not the price. In future folks wont even know what Texaco was. I didnt think about the price of gas in the image. I like old oil companies from the past, Standard, Arco, Union 76, etc. Images with signs of those companies look quite nostalgic.

Edit: Wait, Texaco is still around? I thought they were bought out and the brand retired. Hmm..off to Wikipedia..

Oct 28, 2012 at 04:11 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wood Fired Pizza

Thank you very much everybody.

Tim, no worries, friend. I knew what you meant, 'cuz I talk about how when gas was somewhere around $1.00 when I started driving.

Steve, I'm really glad to hear from you. Getting tips from somebody with that type of experience in the industry is fantastic. Especially because I'll get to shoot them again after they do a little renovation to their trailer. They're gonna put some tile and stuff by the stove.

Yeah, I struggled a bit with #1, I wanted to give a bit of sense of where they were. I really like your idea of some car motion blur. Maybe next time, I could cross the street and shoot them 'through' the traffic from across the intersection.

Argh - soda bucket. Didn't notice it before, now it's all I can see ;-). I could probably remove the sodas themselves fairly easily and maybe just the bucket wouldn't be so obvious.

Unfortunately on those that you'd like to see wider, I didn't crop at all, so that's all I have. For 4 and 6, I simply wasn't paying that close of attention, but for 3 with the ladel, I was actually thinking the same thing as I was shooting. Unfortunately I already had my widest lens and was squished up in the corner and couldn't fit any more in the picture. I thought about going portrait, but then her coworker got chopped a bit, so I stuck with chopping the ladle. A nice 16mm might have been nice here.

oh and I don't think you're being too picky, that's what I want to hear! So I really appreciate you taking the time to bring all that stuff up!

Ektar and ratty, thanks much. Good to hear that you want some pizza after looking at these. I really want my friends to be successful and if I have some part in helping, that would be awesome! Oh yeah and there are still a lot of Texacos around this area.

Ben, always good to hear from you, buddy.

Oct 28, 2012 at 04:39 AM
crabcakes
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wood Fired Pizza

Well done series! I particularly like the close up of the ovens!

Oct 28, 2012 at 04:49 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wood Fired Pizza

I'm amazed at how large an oven they got into that trailer! I bet that took some work setting up.

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:55 AM
Velu01
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wood Fired Pizza

David,

First, this serie is very recognisable .. it's "you", and therefore good !

I was surprised to see there's actually an oven ! One would not expect to encounter on the street !!!
And this takes me to your first picture, which tells me that their business is along a main road, on a parking lot, near traffic lights and a gas station ...
I agree, it's not "isolated", but it actually isn't !
To me, it kinda makes the surprise even bigger, if I'd approach from the direction of picture#1 and then find out, there's actually a real pizzeria !
As you may notice, I like the oven, hah, shows craftmanship, and I like how you emphasized that.
You'd never believe that the #5 set actually fits in the #1 picture !

So in a nutshell, they have an exceptional concept and you managed to show that in a terrific way. There's a team at work, they enjoy and love their craft ... it's all there !

Good job

Rgds
Velu

PS You "scrambled" the lady's signature, but I don't get ... did she pay with a creditcard and had to sign ( electronically) or ... !?

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wood Fired Pizza

Nice job! I'm going to be shooting a pizza truck next month, so this gives me some ideas and inspiration.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wood Fired Pizza

Velu01 wrote:
David,
PS You "scrambled" the lady's signature, but I don't get ... did she pay with a creditcard and had to sign ( electronically) or ... !?

google up intuit go payment reader(which is what I think this one is attached to her phone), square up, and paypal credit card reader.
Basically credit card readers that plug in your cell or pad and customer pays on the spot and signs your device to complete just like any store. You pay a nominal fee per transaction. I believe it's 2.7% for intuit and paypal. Square is 2.75% Those are swipe rates as the keyed(manual entry of card number) is a percent higher.
You can pay intuit $12.95 a month and your swipe rate drops to 1.7% per tranaction.

Sorry to hijack, the pictures are great.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wood Fired Pizza

Nice job on the photos. This should work great for their web page. Cool idea to have a mobile wood fired pizza oven. I wish them the best of luck.

Oct 28, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wood Fired Pizza

Mmm.... pizza. Anytime is a good time for pizza.
I like the somewhat whimsical look of the joint. You managed to capture the informality well. Hope it will translate nicely to the website.

I am no food photographer but I once knew a commercial photographer that does food photography. One thing I think he might comment is to make sure the food images 'pop'.

Didn't know you're from WA David. We visit Seattle and Federal Way quite often.

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:00 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wood Fired Pizza

Thanks once again, everybody. I really appreciate the kinds words and the excellent suggestions! I too hope it translates well to a website. I've never done commercial or food photography, so I'm not sure how well my style will fit what they are looking for. But maybe it's a good opportunity to expand and try mixing up my style a bit. After all, I'd be happy to head out there and shoot some more for some pizza!

--David

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password