Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

Framing the subject...now I need a refresher on this again. Specifically, I am referring to posed photos only...

So, what I often do is rule of thirds, often horizontal (need to do more vertical framing)...with rule of thirds and horizontal framing, I find myself doing shots like having her wrap arms around his neck and focusing on the ring, focusing on her face...or full body shots, or waist-cutoffs, or sometimes closer...but I am now bad at making compositionally good tighter framings except occasionally face-to-face (often with backlight), silhouette, etc...which backlit framing incidentally throws my lens AF off most times.

I also put them on a right/left corner of horizontal framing, usually cutoff around around chest...but this creates distortion (especially fat arms) with anything less than 50/85mm.

With vertical framing, I basically don't remember how to do effective full-length portraits anymore. Anything I do here frequently gets framed where the waist or abdomen is the cutoff point.

Basically, I have forgotten how to do good framing and cutoff points. As I was culling a set of photos yesterday, I saw some of that old experimentation I used to do...but some of the ideas were horrendous and I had to throw out the entire set of frames because they were just without purpose, were uninteresting, etc. This happened probably 2-3 times within that particular shoot. It seems that, in my attempts to try to experiment again, I've also ended up trying pointless/ineffective ideas that I should not be wasting time with.

As I said, seems like I have forgotten how to do good framing. Tony's use of lines, walls, and framing within the frame to draw the eye to subjects has always been very good IMO, but I haven't been able to understand very well how to achieve similar effects.

I seem to do a large amount of waist/midriff cropped framing, and a lot of chest-height framing.

This time...I'm actually going to show samples from one of my most recent shoots that I did some experimenting with - and also had many dry spells of creativity:

In this one, I notice that I tilted him toward her with all the lines and framing. I'm not sure I should have done that. I also think that somehow I could have put them in a much better position relative to the lines, but I can't seem to think of the better option.

This is an experimental type of shot I have been doing a bit lately, sometimes with the groom's eyes (or more) cropped out of the frame. Seems like I framed her eyes in center this time, I don't know how I could have framed better but I have reservations about this too...

Possibly my favorite of the whole set (or one of them), because of the backlit flare. I probably should have tried to avoid the flare on his face.

Another experiment, I basically could not figure out how I should frame this idea at all. Quite possibly a set of photos that I should not have taken...my full-body stuff is often lacking (partly due to posing knowledge deficiency).

Looking at it now, perhaps this is actually the opposite of a leading line - although them being on the right side of the frame is more keyed to those who read from left to right. I don't know if this is appropriate framing or not.

I do this type of shot often, usually have to watch out for big shoulders so often shot from above, always have to frame them in mid-bottom (controlling fisheye distortion), and usually with ambient light instead of the flash I used this time. Wondering if there are other framings for a similar shot that would work without distorting them badly...

Watch out for big front hand, 24 or 35mm - distortion of the hands in bottom right was actually reduced a little in photoshop. This is a common framing I use for having the Vegas background - them towards left/right edge, vertical framing. Any suggestions to improve it are welcome...

I experiment with this type of shot often, but the light in this specific situation wasn't as good as I would like. Ideas on this also extremely welcome -

Similar framing concept (and better overall image IMO, though not sure how to duplicate the good parts) from a previous shoot:

Not sure, this seems fairly good overall to me, not sure if anything is specifically wrong with this shot...

Corner framing, others without arm in photo might be better...

This is just a small sample set and does not reflect all of my framings, but I really need/want some suggestions about framing differently, more effectively, how you frame things, etc...

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:30 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

#2, if the person is blurry because of thin DOF, it is probably better if the person isnt looking at the camera. If his eyes were looking at her, it will probably be a stronger photo.

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:58 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

I had forgotten that completely. It goes back to the rule of how eyes direct the viewer to look in the direction the eyes are looking.

I'm sure there are tons of similar rules and concepts I am forgetting/didn't learn. That's why I posted these with explanations.

I wonder if I get distracted by focusing on light or position-related defects in images so I can't think about other things. I've become obsessed with avoiding double chins, huge hands, shadows under the eyes, trying to avoid bad light or having good light (even though I end up misusing the light half the time anyway), hairs on the face, avoiding covering the eye with a lock of hair, arm/back fat, excessive arm size in the image, undesirable facial distortion, etc...

Edited on Oct 27, 2012 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:00 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

He doesnt even have to look at the primary subject.. even if he is just smiling away and look to the left would be better. Anything but looking at the camera.

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:02 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

See, perhaps I completely misunderstood again.

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

i think you will feel a lot more creative if you get off the strip. a lot of us have the luxury of shooting in different places which will naturally make you more creative and give more ideas.

so much of photography happens without the camera... maybe forget about posing and just go scout some new spots to help boost your imagery.

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:18 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

I wish I could get off the Strip and stay off. However, most clients want to at least visit there for a few hours of the day. I prefer golf courses and more private areas like Lake Las Vegas because I enjoy greenery, manicured landscaping, and other views away from the Strip.

I did somewhat better with the most recent wedding, after I had been reading and reminding myself of the importance of line and really isolating subjects well...

Oct 29, 2012 at 04:54 PM
chris.bersbach
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

I don't post in the wedding forum much, because I don't shoot that kind of work, but because of the Vegas setting (and the suggestion about getting off the strip), I thought I'd ask if you've ever shot - or considered shooting - out at Red Rock Canyon. As a rock climber I've spent some quality time out there, and it seems to me that it would make a beautiful backdrop for wedding/engagement portraiture, presuming that it was a meaningful location for the couple.

Oct 29, 2012 at 05:15 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Moving my thoughts away from posing for a minute

It would be, if there wasn't #1 blazing sun and no clouds many days (hard light to shoot with), and #2 a war going on between photographers and BLM/Clark County-owned land including Red Rock. Right now they have finally settled on something around a $200 permit for a single outing, I can't remember if it provides permission for all-day or just an hour or something. However, I have shot at Red Rock as a second photographer once.

Oct 29, 2012 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password