New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Yongnuo YN-622C questions

Jim Quinn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yongnuo YN-622C questions

I own five Canon flashes (two 580EXIIs, a 550EX, and two 430EX IIs), and I have learned to work the Canon E-TTLII system (thanks in part to Chuck Gardner, who posts frequently on this forum). The system works fairly well, both in auto and manual modes. But there are times when it doesn't work as well as it might, especially when one or more of the slaves are not in a line of site with the master flash, or when the master flash is firing into a directional light modifier that doesn't allow the trigger signal to reach the slaves. A radio system that allows full control from the camera sounds a lot more convenient.

If budgets were of no concern, I'd simply sell my flashes on CraigsList or eBay and buy a bunch of EX600RT flashes. But my wallet's not fat, and I'm reluctant to give up flashes that work very well just to gain the convenience of radio control. A friend has been using Pocket Wizard Flex transceivers for several years with good results, but I'm put off by their price and the radio-interference problem they have had with some Canon flashes.

I've just become aware of Yongnuo YN-622C radio transceivers, and I'd like to know if anyone here has experience with them. I've seen a few preliminary reviews online, including some YouTube videos, that suggest that the Yongnuo units provide most (if not all) of the functions of the Pocket Wizard system, and the EX600RT flashes, for much less money. I'd appreciate any experiences with them that you might care to share. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2012 at 06:23 PM
SeedyBee

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yongnuo YN-622C questions

I think that you would be delighted with the YN-622C triggers. They would fit your gear very well, if you have a camera with flash control menus.

I chose them because they implement Canon protocols, almost exactly the same as I used when using Canon Wireless.

Their Guide is a step up from the usual run, but still needs some interpretation, so I created "The Other YN-622C User Guide":
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

Edited on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Jim Quinn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yongnuo YN-622C questions

The "Other" guide is an excellent resource! Thanks very much for putting it together. I like the homemade umbrella mount shown in the photo toward the end.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.