Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · When to put camera out to pasture?

hogwallow
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When to put camera out to pasture?

I agonize as much as anyone about when to upgrade my electronics - camera, computer, phone, etc. On average, I seem to make a move after two or three generations.

I'm approaching that crossroads with my camera, a 1D Mark IIN, and I thought perhaps a little public agonizing would help.

Reasons to upgrade (to 1DX or 5DIII):

- Because I do a lot of bird and wildlife photography, I'd benefit from the additional headroom for cropping and enlargement in going from 8 to 18-22 megapixels. (Though I'd lose the crop factor advantage)
- My night and indoor sports photography would benefit from the dramatically greater low-light capability, and some of the cheaper F4 lenses come into play, whereas now my glass needs to be F2.8 or better.
- I need to do more video work and potentially could avoid buying a separate video camera.

Reasons not to upgrade:

- OMG prices are about double what I paid for my last camera
- Spend the money instead on another piece of long glass - maybe the 500L II - or upgrades to my last-generation 16-35, 24-70 or 70-200.
- My Mark IIN is in pristine shape and has less than 110,000 shutter actuations, about half its rated life.
- Buying a separate video camera would have several advantages, including better audio integration.
- And the thing that always keeps you thinking: what's the NEXT version going to have?

I've taken the Nikon switch out of the equation because I have too much invested in Canon glass.

Although I've worked as a photojournalist doing sports and general feature photography, it's now more of a serious leisure pastime, so there isn't the business imperative there once was.

Not looking for "the" answer, just talking points. What else do I need to consider? In what areas is the next-gen camera likely to advance?

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:16 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When to put camera out to pasture?

Do you want/need more MP? 1D2n was a rockin' camera. If you are doing bird and wildlife stuff, I'd tend to go for some glass first since it looks like 300mm is your longest tele.

What about a 500 I and 7D, which would give you a ton of reach and video?? Or 500 I now and wait to see if there's a great new cropper next Spring/Summer.

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When to put camera out to pasture?

Keep your 1D2n as a secondary body -- you can't get much from its sale, so better to hold on to. I've got a 1D2 and sold another recently -- in great shape for only $485. So I won't part with this other one in pristine condition -- still works for web shots and eBay postings with great photos.

Lenses are great, but I'm amazed the short shrift better bodies get from some posters (not you, OP). The better the body, the better your whole arsenal of lenses. And you are due, way overdue in fact. Either of these two new bodies will be a terrific improvement for you. Just decide if you need the FPS and durability of the 1DX, or can get by with the 5D3 (it's pretty well sealed, so I'll bet you can, with a battery grip).

Oct 26, 2012 at 06:17 PM
impreza_GC8

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When to put camera out to pasture?

I was in a similar boat as you a little while ago. I managed to make a pair of 1Dmk2's last me a LONG time and I put them through hell. I decided rather than go for the 1DX I would get the 1Dmk4 and put the remaining money into other camera-related items. I gotta tell you I cannot be happier with my decision. Of course, at the time the 5D3 wasn't out yet and I spent $4k for my 1D4 barely used, now I see them going for more like $3400 and with the 5D3 readily available for $3k on the lightly used market there are more options than ever. You will have to decide whether the 5D3 is the better camera for you. For what I do (full-time news photographer using both company and personal gear) I wanted to keep a current 1D in my arsenal. I'll be buying a 5D2 used once they drop to closer to $1100 (I see that happening soon) and FINALLY selling off my last 1Dmk2, even though it will be for mere pennies. But I certainly got my worth out of those cameras, sounds like you did too.

Cliff notes: Don't count out the 1Dmk4. Buy one lightly used from someone who does count it out in their haste to own the newest piece of gear and laugh all the way to the bank.

Oct 26, 2012 at 06:33 PM
hogwallow
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When to put camera out to pasture?

I'm liking the 1D Mark IV idea. It'll get me at least a couple years down the road and free up some cash for glass.

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When to put camera out to pasture?

It’s a known fact that after four years both a camera and lens, although a lens may get an additional year or two, will not give the same image quality as the most recent offerings.

Therefore…gears should be retired or upgraded on a regular schedule or risk inferior photography that if posted may result in public ridicule and a fall in status among your peers…

Definitive opinion…

Jefferson

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:57 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When to put camera out to pasture?

I'm a Nikonian, but if want the build quality of a 1D body, get a 1Dmk4 and enjoy your cost savings that leave more money for glass, etc, than a 1DX. I've seen plenty of great pictures the last generation of FF bodies from either company to know that none of them should disappoint you in with their performance.

Oct 26, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When to put camera out to pasture?

Jefferson wrote:
It’s a known fact that after four years both a camera and lens, although a lens may get an additional year or two, will not give the same image quality as the most recent offerings.

Therefore…gears should be retired or upgraded on a regular schedule or risk inferior photography that if posted may result in public ridicule and a fall in status among your peers…

Definitive opinion…

Jefferson

You're far too polite. All real photographers know that 2 years after the release of a digital camera, it ceases to take professional quality photos, and it must be either retired or sold to a non-discerning dilettante.

To be serious for a moment, I have to admit that I find it difficult to use cameras that are two or more generations old. They can still do the job, but I find myself thinking that I could get just that little bit of extra quality, or fearing that the accumulated changes in user interface will cause me to make a mistake. This is of course only because I have current generation Canons at hand.

With lenses, it's mostly a case of having IS versions, or significantly improved IS in a lens that had it previously.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When to put camera out to pasture?

Mr. Wallow,
(I hesitate to refer to you as Mr. Hog as I believe he was a major character in an ancient TV show called "Dukes of Hazzard.")

Yours is a particularly difficult decision because the 1DIIn (and the 1DsII) may have been the finest DSLR Canon ever produced. I feel strongly that much of Canon's now challenged dominance came from the excellence of these cameras particularly when compared to the competition's offerings of that time.

I shot both the 1DIIn and the 1DsII for about 4 years. The IIn is capable of superb images. It's rugged, fast, and to my mind handles wonderfully. I'm still a working PJ and - particularly in sports - found the 1DIIn unable to deal with the woeful light I'm forced to shoot in. It just didn't have the ISO headroom to deal with truly dismal small town football fields.

You note that for you "it's now more of a serious leisure pastime . . ." I gather by this that you no longer "have to get the shot to keep your job." As Photon and Jefferson have sarcastically noted, just because there is a later, greater offering doesn't in anyway make older cameras obsolete.

In order to do my job I sold off both of my II series cameras and to fund a lightly used 1DIV. This is a very nice camera and offers several real improvements over the IIn.

These include:
1. Much higher useable ISO. - I regularly shoot at 25600. Yes, the files require a lot of work in post, but they are good enough for newspaper work.
2. Larger, nicer LCD. While this is good, it isn't that big of a deal for me as I don't do much "chimping' while working.
3. On the other hand it has Live View which I'm learning to use with lenses like the 24mm f/3.5L TSE in my other vocation as a landscape and "art" photographer.
4. A larger, faster buffer. Very useful in sports work.
5. Perhaps slightly better AF though I can't say this for certainty.

I have no doubt that the 1Dx is a better camera than the 1DIV. Full frame, stratospheric ISO capability, and higher thru put support that contention. It's also about 2x the price. (Nice used 1DIV ~$3500 USD, 1Dx ~$6800 USD.) Is it 2X as good as a 1DIV? Don't know as I've never touched one, though I doubt it.

I'd suggest you examine where, when, how you tend to shoot. Do you really need higher ISO? I found the 1DIIn good to about ISO 800 and 1600 in a shove. Do you need faster thru put? How valuable would full frame be to you?

Older glass (particularly L glass) never really goes bad (though it does pass beyond Canon's support window). Glass also tends to hold value far better than cameras. OTOH, Canon has dropped support for the 1DII, thus the 1DIIn can't be far behind though given how many 1DIIn's there are out in the wild, I suspect it will be quite awhile before they can't be repaired.

Frankly, you can keep shooting the 1DIIn for a long time and long glass is always seductive.

Like you I stay away from the crest of the wave - let others be Canon's beta testers! Because I'm still under deadlines, I try to stay about 1 generation back. The 1DIIn is now 3 behind. Maybe it is time to let go, but if you are like me, a perfectly functioning tool that I know intimately is VERY difficult to let go.

As I said in the beginning - you've got a real hard choice.

Good luck and no matter which way you go, it won't be a bad choice.

Robert

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · When to put camera out to pasture?

1D MK IV's can be a bargain right now, and are excellent. I had to sell mine due to hand problems, or I'd still have it. I bought a lighter weight 5D MK III when it popped up on Adorama's ebay sale for $2750. Even it is a bit heavy, but I've had surgery on both hands and should be ok to hold it and a largish lens soon.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · When to put camera out to pasture?

I have not used an X or a IV but after spending 6 months using a 5D3 i cannot imagine my photograph life without one. It is by far the best camera i have ever used and it's at a bargain price right now too.

Oct 27, 2012 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.