Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

mola
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

I was looking at an lighter alternative to WH2. My tripod will be lighter than the WH2. I dont want to take a top heavy rig on the rough , uneven terrains.

Mongoose seems like the only proven, lighter option. While I like the idea I am not the freedom of movement on that.

Just wanted to know if any one out there has tried a heavy lens (eg canon 600 V1) on mongoose or the promising new Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head. The reviews look good but has anyone here tried it in real life?

Also appreciate any thoughts on -Sirui R-4203L 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/832018-REG/Sirui_BSRR4203L_R_4203L_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html )

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Product link- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=877643&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Review- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/hands-reviews/hands-review-sirui-ph-20-gimbal-head

Oct 26, 2012 at 04:17 PM
mola
• •
p.1 #2 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

No one?

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:32 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

Your tripod will be topp heavy with any of those heads when having a 5-6 kg lens on it. So that weight saving here with this Sirui head doesn't really matter. As long as you use a good and stable tripod it will be no problem.
I would not pay $ 1180 for a Sirui tripod & head.

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:04 AM
mola
• •
p.1 #4 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

OK, Point taken Lars. They are all going to be top heavy some more some less. PLus I would not pay that much for Sirui as well. My question was more for the carbon fiber Gimbal head.

But total weight also is a bigger concern for me. The Sirui Head is not cheap itself, especially when The tried and tested WH-200 is almost the same price. I am just trying to save weight where ever I can. I use my gear as long as it works or until I can afford an upgrade. In other words I am looking for something that could last me for a long time. So want to make an informed decision before I buy. (I do not like buying and returning).

Thanks For your response. Any more thoughts are appreciated.

Nov 16, 2012 at 08:50 PM
wfr2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

I am bumping hoping to hear a feedback since I am also considering this lighter weight option to my Wimberley.

Jun 09, 2013 at 01:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pmiller228

p.1 #6 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

I cant speak to the gimbal head but I just bought their k30x ballhead and it seems to be of good quality. I am a machinist in my full time job and to me it looks like it is made very well. If the same quality carries over to their gimbal heads then it should be made pretty well. That said, if its nearly the same price as the tried and true products, I would get whats proven to be quality. I took a chance on the ballhead because the price was substantially cheaper than even sunwayfoto.

I also tried a sirui tripod (n-2004) which is very different than what you are looking for but I found the weight rating to be very overrated. The legs were much less stable than the specs would suggest.

Jun 09, 2013 at 02:28 PM
wfr2
• • •
p.1 #7 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

Good to hear from a machinist. Wish RRS would make a gimball head

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:45 PM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #8 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

Another option is the Wimberley WH-200 S, a side mount version of the gimbal head. The 600 is pretty heavy to lift up to a side mount. However, there is a weight savings and I know the Wimberley can take the weight long term.

Jun 09, 2013 at 11:27 PM
gcuff
• •
p.1 #9 · Any one has experience with Sirui PH-20 Gimbal Head?

I would give a positive to the mongoose 3.6. I use it with a 500mm f/4 ii and 1dx. I do use their low profile foot
Had a wh2 but like the weight saving with the mongoose. Easier to pack as well.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password