Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens Fell Off !!!

Ken_K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lens Fell Off !!!

I was out hiking yesterday with my camera slung over my shoulder. All of a sudden my 70-200 2.8 does a free fall to the ground. Luckily the lens hood took the brunt of the injury. It was mounted on a 5D2. Before setting out for the day, I purposely gave the lens a couple of twists to make sure it was securely mounted. It happened one other time on a 50 D but I dismissed it as not checking thoroughly after mounting.
I'm fairly certain that I didn't accidentally hit the release. I'm worried that another "accidental dismount" might be the demise of this lens.
Any ideas on why this occurred and/or how to avoid a repeat performance?

Oct 26, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Lens Fell Off !!!

Stuff happens, but twice makes one think that there is a way you hold it or have a strap hit the button or something similar. The EOS mount is quite secure and malfunctions of the mechanism are rare if numbers of internet postings are any guide.

Oct 26, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Lens Fell Off !!!

I agree, something must be accidentally hitting that release button as you move around. I've heard of large lenses (500L, 600L) pulling the entire mirror box out of the camera, but I can't see how the mount would simply disengage spontaneously at times, yet work correctly the rest of the time. Maybe it's possibly, but then you should be able to recreate the issue yourself.

Oct 26, 2012 at 01:42 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Lens Fell Off !!!

It also might be a weak or faulty spring in the release pin. just be aware of it and see if it happens again. i was shooting a football game a couple years ago when my 300 2.8 kept being released from the locked position. I couldn't see anything that would hit the button, but havent had any problems since then. sometimes it doesn't take much to release the lens. keep the items insured.

Oct 26, 2012 at 01:51 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #5 · Lens Fell Off !!!

What sort of strap are you using? Personally when using the 70-200 I'll use a strap fixed to the tripod collar on the lens (with an r-strap).

Oct 26, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lens Fell Off !!!

Maybe you need to install a release button cover. A friend of mine constantly has problems with his body pressing buttons and turning knobs on his camera. He even managed to release the lens a few times. His partial fix was to tape some of the buttons and knobs. I suggested he carry the camera with bottom locked down on his chest so nothing can touch but that's not his thing. Oddly, it has never happened to me, not even once. I assume carrying style, body shape and even clothing materials determine inadvertent button stroking frequency.

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #7 · Lens Fell Off !!!

JohnBrose wrote:
i was shooting a football game a couple years ago when my 300 2.8 kept being released from the locked position. I couldn't see anything that would hit the button, but havent had any problems since then. sometimes it doesn't take much to release the lens. keep the items insured.

I had the same thing happen to me. I would go to recompose and the body would slide but not the lens as it had come loose for some reason. Happened several times that day, but never again since. I figured I must have been hitting the release mechanism somehow.

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lens Fell Off !!!

Since it has happened on two different cameras, I suspect it is related to the way you carry your camera.

Oct 26, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #9 · Lens Fell Off !!!

I once had a strap hit the release button with a 200 f/2 mounted...I felt something funky happening and got a hand on the lens in time...terrified me.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lens Fell Off !!!

I always have a hand on my lens when it is over my shoulder. Kind of natural habit for me. Never had any incident knock on wood.

Oct 27, 2012 at 05:07 AM
crwoo
• •
p.1 #11 · Lens Fell Off !!!

maybe your lens is harder to snap into place and lock?

Oct 27, 2012 at 07:44 PM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #12 · Lens Fell Off !!!

Happened to my father once with a D300 and 17-55 2.8. He went to zoom and the lens popped off and hit the rocks. Minor cosmetic damage but eventually the AF went on the lens. He didn't have another lens to change out so the release must have gotten bumped or pushed at some point when we were walking.

I think it's just a freak accident thing...

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Ken_K
• •
p.1 #13 · Lens Fell Off !!!

Thanks all for the feedback. Naturally, I was looking to exonerate myself but I guess there was a fair chance that some how during my hike managed to hit the release button and the lens bolted. I've used this lens countless times in between the two incidents and never had a problem. Maybe next time I'm hiking I'll place a piece of tape over the release.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Lens Fell Off !!!

Ken_K wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback. Naturally, I was looking to exonerate myself but I guess there was a fair chance that some how during my hike managed to hit the release button and the lens bolted. I've used this lens countless times in between the two incidents and never had a problem. Maybe next time I'm hiking I'll place a piece of tape over the release.

I think that is the wrong approach. It would be like putting a drumskin over it or tensioning it so that a touch would push the button down more than usual and might release it.

I think you need to make sure that you don't have any extra straps or cords or bungees or strings or iPod wires or anything that might hit it.

If I have a camera over my shoulder, I have my hand hovering around it or on it or on the strap to protect the camera and to be aware of any funny shocks, etc.

I never strap my camera to my chest.

When walking or hiking with a tele-zoom, I carry the combo by the lens. You need to be aware of everything around the camera and be sure that nothing hits it. If anything does, stop, check it out, make sure the lens / camera is securely mounted and move on. Be especially conscious of stray fingers. Do you use the Depth of Field preview button? That can sometimes be mistaken for the mount release. Awareness is key.

Oct 28, 2012 at 01:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password