Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Head shots of my friend...

magnumography

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Head shots of my friend...

Good day to all...newbie in this forum...

Just want to share my first images...CC very much appreciated...

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Head shots of my friend...

The processing is strange. I see posterization in the shadows and areas of low contrast. It looks like an unsharp mask was used with two large of a radius in the second photo.

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:41 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Head shots of my friend...

I think I see some artifacts as well, but I like that these are different from your typical headshot/portrait. Keep it up.

Oct 26, 2012 at 06:46 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Head shots of my friend...

Hello,

My comments must be be very brief today.

Welcome to posting here. That "first step is a big one." And you just took it.

First...my standard intro to anyone "new to me" on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you. All smilies I post are genuine and sincere.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

I like the subjects....and I like BW too.

I prefer image 2 because of the direct look and the smoke (some small action).

I think the images appear too dark for typical viewers.

So, FIRST I suggest making sure you use a calibrated monitor when editing images.

As they may appear OK to you if your monitor is too bright (not calibrated).

As shown the images appear "artificially dark" and while I like "dark" images, "moody" images, and "low key" photos, ...it appears to be more like a processing choice that has "darkened" an image or as it appears on my calibrated monitor when viewing on the net.

If you have doubts about this, you might want to add a few lines to your introduction up top, that says something like this:

"Do these images appear too dark on your calibrated monitors?"

I hope these comments help you.

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:58 PM

jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Head shots of my friend...

Those are intense!

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:04 PM
magnumography

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Head shots of my friend...

thank you sirs for your comments and inputs...

yes these pictures are post processed using dragan effect workflow with several steps of my own recipe...

very well noted with your suggestions mostly with calibration of my monitor...

just one question sirs...what would be the best calibration technique for my monitor...i have a philips 220e hd monitor with 1gb nvidia video card set to the highest resolution...are there any preferable steps i need to consider in order to produce better images...? i see a lot of great image quality posted on forums which i'm having a hard time to duplicate...

cheers...

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM
renfield33
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Head shots of my friend...

a hardware calibration tool will provide the best results. i don't know who makes the best ones for the money currently.

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:07 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password