Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station ...

Frank_Maiello
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

BenV wrote:
to say Nikon won't lose sales to Sigma or other 3rd parties is just crazy. The second people choose to buy the Sigma, Nikon just lost sales.

Not necessarily. Consumers often choose a budget brand when the premium model is priced beyond what we're willing to pay. Nikon didn't lose a sale when I bought a Sigma 300 f/2.8.

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:40 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

Frank_Maiello wrote:
Not necessarily. Consumers often choose a budget brand when the premium model is priced beyond what we're willing to pay. Nikon didn't lose a sale when I bought a Sigma 300 f/2.8.

I'd still consider that Nikon losing a sale. Nikon has a 300 2.8, and you choose not to buy that one. Now if Sigma had a lens Nikon didn't, then I'd say Nikon didn't lose a sale.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

so if you will fiddle with it for few hours it will be as good as factory calibrated, therefor bad?

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

BenV wrote:
I'd still consider that Nikon losing a sale. Nikon has a 300 2.8, and you choose not to buy that one. Now if Sigma had a lens Nikon didn't, then I'd say Nikon didn't lose a sale.

I didn't exactly "choose" not to buy the Nikon, it's simply out of my price range. If it was the only option available, I wouldn't own a 300 f/2.8 at all, so it was no loss for Nikon in my case.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:46 PM
mfletch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

All I can say is "GO Sigma!" Hopefully this will set some sort of standard among manufacturers for user-serviceablity.

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

I think it’s a cool feature, but playing devil’s advocate, this new ability also means that users will be able to make a lens perform worse. That wouldn’t be good marketing. It also has the potential to send the message that, “Our products are sloppily constructed and have been widely reported to have serious calibration issues, so we’ve decided to pass that stage of our manufacturing/QC process on to you, the consumer.”

I can see the complaints already, “I’ve tried adjusting every setting and my lens won’t focus at all. Don’t buy Sigma.” Imagine if car manufacturers gave us the ability to tweak the engine and transmission computers? That would be great for enthusiasts who know what they’re doing, but it stands to create more problems than it would solve. Add to that a tendency (that’s tendency) for Sigma buyers to be less-experienced photographers who may have greater problems with their technique than the performance of their equipment (which would be me).

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

Frank_Maiello wrote:
I think it’s a cool feature, but playing devil’s advocate, this new ability also means that users will be able to make a lens perform worse. That wouldn’t be good marketing. It also has the potential to send the message that, “Our products are sloppily constructed and have been widely reported to have serious calibration issues, so we’ve decided to pass that stage of our manufacturing/QC process on to you, the consumer.”

I can see the complaints already, “I’ve tried adjusting every setting and my lens won’t focus at all. Don’t buy Sigma.” Imagine if car manufacturers gave us the ability
...Show more

Not evey lens can be perfectly calibrated to each body, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. This software is meant to adjust for those small variations. This is no different than in camera Micro adjustment. The only difference it is the lens being adjusted. Each time a manufacture comes out with a new body there is a chance a third party lens wont work. This software can help update the lens so that it will.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

Bruce Sawle wrote:
Not evey lens can be perfectly calibrated to each body, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. This software is meant to adjust for those small variations. This is no different than in camera Micro adjustment. The only difference it is the lens being adjusted. Each time a manufacture comes out with a new body there is a chance a third party lens wont work. This software can help update the lens so that it will.

I'm assuming it will function as intended and be very useful, I'm just playing devil's advocate. Going further--what happens to a "calibrated" lens that is sold on the used market to an individual who doesn't have the tools, software, or inclination to re-calibrate it for his or her camera? It does seem like it may open the door to a couple problems.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

BenV wrote:
Well that sucks for you. Sigma makes some excellent gear for a fraction of the cost of Nikon.

so what is "some" of this excellent gear?

their speedlights kind of suck.

Nov 09, 2012 at 03:02 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

Frank_Maiello wrote:
Going further--what happens to a "calibrated" lens that is sold on the used market to an individual who doesn't have the tools, software, or inclination to re-calibrate it for his or her camera?

Bingo........

they get pissed and say "oh well sigma lenses suck, dont buy one!"

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BobSam

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

... "calibrated" lens that is sold" ...

Like cameras and most electronics ... two button reset to factory spec/settings is how I expect that bridge to be crossed. Or a variant of this technique ... not a concern for me.

Edited on Nov 09, 2012 at 04:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:43 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

Zebrabot wrote:
so what is "some" of this excellent gear?

their speedlights kind of suck.

Sigma 120-300, Sigma 50, Sigma 85, Sigma 150 to name a few.

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:48 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

BobSam wrote:

Like cameras and most electronics ... two button reset to factory spec/settings is how I expect that bridge to be crossed.

exactly

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:48 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

FWIW...he's always a negative Nancy, Ben. The "hide" button works especially well in this regard.

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:51 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

trenchmonkey wrote:
FWIW...he's always a negative Nancy, Ben. The "hide" button works especially well in this regard.

Haha, I try not to use it unless its really called for. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion just some opinions I value more than others

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:02 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

I've now got the Tokina 16-28, Tamron 24-70 VC and Sigma 120-300 OS all of which I'm extremely happy with. (especially the Tamron!)

Looking forward to trying that Samyang tilt-shift when it comes out as well. Kudos to the non Nikon lens makers for raising the bar!

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

trenchmonkey wrote:

Ouch!

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:39 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

BobSam wrote:

Like cameras and most electronics ... two button reset to factory spec/settings is how I expect that bridge to be crossed. Or a variant of this technique ... not a concern for me.

It isn't a concern for me either, but that’s not what I’m saying. I’m only pointing out that there are enough complaints about gear due to operator error that there is a potential risk for a manufacturer to give customers more variables that can significantly affect their pictures. While there doesn’t appear to be an obvious reset feature on the new lenses in the video, it would make good sense if properly implemented. That also means that it shouldn’t be possible to affect a total reset through carelessness, which would stink if you were far away from home.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:29 PM
stflbn

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

Any new news regarding when this is supposed to be released?

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:21 PM
jon.oman
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sigma Calibration Pro Software/USB lens docking station to be released in 2013

This looks interestsing!

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:23 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password