New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

tyasa81
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

I've always posted only what i thought is my best here... but looking at the forum always makes me feel inferior... so this time i hope to get some c&c on these pics... i think they are ok because obviously i'm attached to the subject... but i cant improve without unbiased eyes looking at them and maybe noting things i should try to improve on... so thanx all in advance for any and all help

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8122480208_b1bc1059e5_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8049/8122479226_6fa607258d_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8122463161_f06d804f6e_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8332/8122479932_24134a3d2e_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8122479688_dc67e3afe9_b.jpg

i definitely need to learn to do some advance pp... as i can't seem to pp much other than a clean edit or b&w...

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Hi,

Quick Comments:

My favorites from this set were 2, 3, 4.

My Simple Suggestion: Don't feel inferior to others on this site.

In my opinion, those three images are very similar to FPJ photos that are often highly praised by others on this forum, after some of the more "popular" (for lack of a better term) members post their family photos here.

So, you are doing just as good as some of those here who get "awesome" and other such remarks frequently.

I hope these comments encourage you to continue to post/share your photos with others (whether here or not).

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Hi steady, thank you for your nice comments.. Just felt that I'm on the plateue(sp?) In terms of photography skills for this past year with no idea which part to work on further..

Oct 25, 2012 at 08:39 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Hi Tyasa

I agree that these are excellent shots! I like the variety of angles (horizontal and top-down)

If you're looking for suggestions, try shooting
*faster action (eg running/playing outdoors rather than static portraits)
*wider angle to include full body and more environment
*with another person in the frame so you capture interactions

Oct 25, 2012 at 09:14 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

I think they're looking great. Focus and depth of field are spot on. I'd also echo steady's post.
As far as you saying you feel you need to improve on pp, I think that there is nothing wrong with the pp on these but agree that if these are the only looks you can achieve then (despite them being nice) I understand why you feel it's holding you back a little bit. I would suggest either looking for online tutorials for creating certain looks (although these are often hard to find anything other than how to do tacky over the top stuff) or start a folder on your desktop of styles you like. Every couple of days choose an image and try to mimic it. Doesn't matter if you get it wrong because each time you'll realise what each slider and adjustment does. Try EVERYTHING and you'll soon get the hang of it. Either that or ask the people who's processing you like.
The last thing I'd say is look at some presets if you're wanting a head start. People seem to like Nik presets and VSCO presets amongst others

Oct 25, 2012 at 09:28 PM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Hi scott, thank you for the suggestions.. I will be looking forward to the day she got a younger sibling so that I can get more interactions shot.. And yeah I kind of forgot the whole interaction shot after shooting just 1 subject for so long.. Thanx for the reminder

Hi langran.. The pp I find myself lacking is usually more on editing color schemes.. I will defnitely start looking at those preset you are talking abt.. I don't use lightroom, so I got to look at some photoshop plugin.. Do you have any reccomendations for that? Thank you for your help

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Really like #4! Kids are so cute at this age.

To be honest, I looked at the pictures before reading your description and they put a smile on my face. I read Steady's comment and was like, "whaaaat?" I agree, you don't need to feel inferior here. Just keep shooting and looking for light. I also agree with scott, try shooting a little wider to capture more of your subject's surroundings.

As far as PP software, what prevents you from trying/using a product such as LR? IMO, PS and LR are completely separate programs, but go very well together. Adobe offers a student discount on many of their products if that applies to you. An older version of LR might also be an option.

Kevin

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the kind words... as far as LR, i did give it a try a long time ago, i'm not sure which version, might be cs2, and it confuses the cr*p out of me... to get 100% preview is very slow, but without loading 100% of each photo, i think everything looks blurry... that's all i remember now and haven't really give it a go again since then... i know it's a great program and lots of people love it, and that i might be using it wrongly then...

right now, i'm using my own folder structure, adobe bridge to preview, adobe camera raw for 90% of all edits, the one that needs cloning of objects, panorama, hdr goes into ps... and somehow i think these are faster compared to lr?

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:08 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Lightroom is on version 4, or LR4. Adobe Photoshop is on version CS6. Both are great programs and offer different methods we can use to edit images. Seems like you may have been a bit confused between the two. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Oct 27, 2012 at 05:45 AM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

hi kevin, i guess i got confused with lightroom version... you got me thinking into getting a trial version though since i need it anyway to directly process my d600 files... my photoshop now needs a dng converter before it can see the raw files...

Oct 27, 2012 at 09:19 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

I like 5 the best. Her expression and the perspective make for a fun shot!

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

2,3,4 and 5 are awesome.

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:36 PM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

thank you benee and hawksfan... i noticed no one says anything about #1, but that's her mother's favorite... i wonder why photographers and non-photogs always have different favorites nearly all the time...

Oct 29, 2012 at 02:01 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

tyasa81 wrote:
hi kevin, i guess i got confused with lightroom version... you got me thinking into getting a trial version though since i need it anyway to directly process my d600 files... my photoshop now needs a dng converter before it can see the raw files...

Absolutely give the trial version a shot, nothing to lose. Depending on which version Photoshop you're running, you may just be able to download an update to where it will read the files from your D600. BTW-How do you like that body? A friend is interested in upgrading to the same body...

Oct 29, 2012 at 05:42 AM
GeorgeM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

The trouble with shooting our own people, kids, parents, siblings, is that we know them. We can see what they are thinking and feeling by the expression on their faces. I do the same thing. See a picture and know how it shows who they are but when I look at it with my photography eye I go 'ugh!'

When I see that someone does better at something than I do I realize I have more to learn. I don't feel inferior.

I look back on work that I was once very proud of and sometimes I just shake my head. What was I thinking? That just shows growth. You will never experience perfection, just continuing growth as you pursue your dreams.

George

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:23 AM
tyasa81
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

thank you george... i used to do that when i look at my previous years photos, but now, when i look at earlier this year's photos, i just dont see the obvious fault, making me realise i didn't grow at all this year

kevin, i like the body, the sensor, the weight (i like light weight and find d700 a brick to hold and shoot for a long time)... but this is my first experience of dropping a camera... which i did to the d600 yesterday morning, and the in body af is screwed up leaving me only afs lenses that could af... i'm not sure if it's more fragile but i thought i heard ppl dropping a d700 and upwards with no harm at all...
and btw, today is my little girl's bday... so had to shoot with it anyway... and next week is my wife's bday so ... it'll take maybe 2 more weeks before i could send it for servicing...

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:45 AM
Griffew

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

All are good shots, 2 and 5 are awesome! 2 is my favorite. Great work overall!

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:33 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

All are good, #4 is excellent. Fine looking young lady.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:07 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

First, dont ever feel inferior. We are all on different places on different paths. I found that I began to find my own vision when I stopped comparing myself to other photographers.

As for your images, I think they are fine. But I'm guessing you want more than 'fine' (I know I do). I disagree with the "excellent" and "awesome" and "great" comments. With that said, I dont think that getting praise is what this genre of photography is (or should be) about. Its a personal challenge to create a life long series of photos to tell a story of our family.

For me, its the challenge to tell an interesting story about something that really wasnt all that interesting. I try to look for 'verbs' to photograph to help tell the story. As a critique on your images, i'm not really seeing a story. There is no depth.

1: I like the above perspective, but what is the story? She seems sad...so why is she sad...try to explore that emotion. For me, depth of field is too shallow here as it obscures the one other element that might make this into a story (the bear in the shopping cart).

2: This is one of my favorites that you posted. It has a verb (playing the piano). But to be honest, its a boring image. There isnt anything interesting compositionally to pull me in and the depth of field is very very shallow. I would suggest pulling back and showing the entire scene with a wide shot. Maybe shoot it from behind? It would show scale (ie, she is small and the piano is large). Maybe there are some family photos hanging above the piano? Maybe her feet dangle from the piano stool. I see a lot of potential with this scene. Maybe she will continue to play as she grows...and she will be 16 on that same stool....wouldnt it be cool to have the same shot?

3: This is my least favorite of the ones you posted. The shallow DOF ruins it here. What is she so excited about? Why is she smiling? I'm assuming its some sort of toy? Think of it this way...will you know why she is smiling in 10 years? If you had the 'toy' in focus, you'd maybe remember when/where you purchased it and be able to tell her that story as she grows.

4: This one is nice! It has a verb. I still think the DOF is too shallow here. Again, it would be nice to pull back from the scene and shoot it wider to show her surroundings. Pulling back will give you a sense of place and scale.

5: I like the change of perspective here. This is cute. I like that I can see the crayons and other stuff on the floor.

As an overall critique, your subject is about the same size in all of your images. There is no visual variety. I also feel that you show very little context...this would help identify when/where/why the image was taken.

I can post examples if you have any questions about anything I wrote. I hope you take this all as constructive.

Good luck!

Chuck

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:20 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Own kid's photo.. looking for c&c

Great shots. Love the feeling of them.

The only real change I'd make on #1 would be to crop it square and put her at the left edge of the frame. There's a lot of dead space there.

#5 is adorable.

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.