Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Canon F1n experience...

jamesf99
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon F1n experience...

The F1-n was/is a great camera. I still have one in flawless condition. It's built like a tank so don't expect a lightweight. I'd also make sure you get the AE VF option if you want to use AV priority (there are different VF options).

see http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/viewfinder/index.htm

For general 35mm film shooting, the 1V or 1VHS (my choice) is the best 35mm camera I ever used. It implemented the first exif precursors to the digital information we see today, such as recording Tv, Av, lens, FL, etc., all of which you can later dump from the camera and compare to actual shots (requires and add on though).

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:19 PM
capt don
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon F1n experience...

While I purchased my F1n about 30 years ago, it's still one of the finest and most rugged 35mm cameras ever made. I shot tens of thousands of rolls of film thru it. I still have it in my desk drawer. The meter doesn't work anymore, the battery corroded the contacts away. I think about getting it fixed sometimes because I don't like to have an old friend sitting there that can't do it's job. It still takes great shots using a hand meter. If you can find a mint one of these grab it. It gave the nikon f1 and ftn a real run for their money.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:46 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon F1n experience...

capt don wrote:
While I purchased my F1n about 30 years ago, it's still one of the finest and most rugged 35mm cameras ever made. I shot tens of thousands of rolls of film thru it. I still have it in my desk drawer. The meter doesn't work anymore, the battery corroded the contacts away. I think about getting it fixed sometimes because I don't like to have an old friend sitting there that can't do it's job. It still takes great shots using a hand meter. If you can find a mint one of these grab it. It gave the nikon
...Show more

Fix it...while you still can....

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:46 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon F1n experience...

jamesf99 wrote:
Fix it...while you still can....

^^^^ I agree...

I am thoroughly impressed with all of the film shooters coming out of the woodwork in this thread...

break out those old bodies and put them to use.. FILM IS NOT DEAD!

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon F1n experience...

capt don wrote:
While I purchased my F1n about 30 years ago, it's still one of the finest and most rugged 35mm cameras ever made. I shot tens of thousands of rolls of film thru it. I still have it in my desk drawer. The meter doesn't work anymore, the battery corroded the contacts away. I think about getting it fixed sometimes because I don't like to have an old friend sitting there that can't do it's job. It still takes great shots using a hand meter. If you can find a mint one of these grab it. It gave the nikon
...Show more

The Camera Clinic in Sparks NV can help and is recommended, Steve does great work on old and new gears, an A-1 and T-90 are very happy and I shoot Velvia and PanF with them

The Camera Clinic
http://www.cameraclinicusa.com/

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:41 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon F1n experience...

RichardLavigne wrote:
... FILM IS NOT DEAD!

No not yet but it is dying. A coworker's son works at Costco photo say once in a blue moon someone brings in a roll of film for processing.

My first camera was a Canon AE-1, by 1981 I upgraded to A-1, and by 85 I have a New F-1. In 2001 I sold all my FD system on ebay for more than I paid and switched to EF system. I sold my EOS 1V body a few years ago so no more film for me. Film was great when you don't have a choice, but now I'll go digital until something better is out.

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:00 AM
John Mills
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon F1n experience...

Gunzorro wrote:
Richard -- I've had the A-1, AE-1 Program, AV-1, AT-1, F-1n, then finally two T90s that I used up until I had to switch (kicking and screaming) to the EOS system (which I now love). The T90s were the best of the FD bodies, IMO. The F-1n was always more rugged and modular, but the T90 more advanced technically (even if it feels plastic-y in comparison). I recommend giving one a try -- you already have the lenses!

Richard, get yourself a T90, because I promise you will not touch that F1n after! The T90 feels so good in the hand (certainly better than any one of my 5D series cameras).

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:13 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon F1n experience...

carlsbadbum wrote:
No not yet but it is dying. A coworker's son works at Costco photo say once in a blue moon someone brings in a roll of film for processing.

My first camera was a Canon AE-1, by 1981 I upgraded to A-1, and by 85 I have a New F-1. In 2001 I sold all my FD system on ebay for more than I paid and switched to EF system. I sold my EOS 1V body a few years ago so no more film for me. Film was great when you don't have a choice, but now I'll go digital until
...Show more

I disagree... I don't think it will die. In fact I see a huge resurgence in film among all of my professional shooting friends. Almost all of them I know are shooting film now in some capacity, most are shooting it for personal projects and some having begun to incorporate it into their professional workflow. I'm not saying that I think it will overtake digital, don't get me wrong, but it ain't dying.

John Mills wrote:

Richard, get yourself a T90, because I promise you will not touch that F1n after! The T90 feels so good in the hand (certainly better than any one of my 5D series cameras).

I've already started looking.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon F1n experience...

Ok, you may be right that Pros still using film, but in the general public film is gone.

In 1987 I played with the T90 but never own one, I think I miss out, so the New F-1 is my fav. The EOS 1V was much better, but you can't use FD glass.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Masahara
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon F1n experience...

Add me to the growing list of F-1 shooters here I just found my grandfathers early model last week and it's much nicer than any other film camera I own so I'm anxious to shoot an assignment with it (if I remember how to load film after all these years, hahaha)

Question : What are all you guys using for a battery for the light meter ? I've read the original mercury battery is discontinued but that a 3.7v Zinc air (hearing aid) battery can be substituted. Anyone have any favorite battery options ?

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon F1n experience...

I'd love an F1n, but will make do with my AE-1 Program and EOS 3 in the meantime. I know more and more people taking up film as well as digital, so I'm not sure it is dying. The cheap supermarket you can get films developed near me is always busy.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:49 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon F1n experience...

I am thoroughly impressed with all of the film shooters coming out of the woodwork in this thread...

break out those old bodies and put them to use.. FILM IS NOT DEAD!

Film is far from dead........B+W film anyway, where sales have been increasing year on year for some time.

Anyone who thinks differently should have a look at eBay prices for any quality film gear......and people out there know 'quality'........run of the mill stuff is virtually valueless.

PS: There is a major Ansel Adams exhibition in London running for some months......I strongly suspect that alone will inspire vast numbers here to fire up their film cameras........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20304829

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:57 PM
sataraid1

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon F1n experience...

I hate to be a nitpicker, but I read this entire thread picturing an "F-1n", which the camera in question is not. It's a "New F-1". And it's a beauty!

With that said, I've used all three versions of the F-1 and loved them dearly. Before I made the jump to EOS, I had two cameras just like the one the OP purchased, and a T90.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:12 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon F1n experience...

sataraid1 wrote:
I hate to be a nitpicker, but I read this entire thread picturing an "F-1n", which the camera in question is not. It's a "New F-1". And it's a beauty!

With that said, I've used all three versions of the F-1 and loved them dearly. Before I made the jump to EOS, I had two cameras just like the one the OP purchased, and a T90.

you're right. The conversation "morphed" along the way from the nondescript F-1 the OP mentioned to the F-1n, which was the updated/second version. I own, and was referring to, the New F-1 which was the last model produced, but I may have been guilty of incorrectly referring to it as an "n", which it is not. Mea culpa.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Annapurna

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon F1n experience...

Would really like a F-1n digital. That would be fun. Never mind autofocus. Just splitscreen and A LOT OF dustable FD-lenses. Sorry. Just off topic.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:45 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon F1n experience...

sataraid1 wrote:

You're right.... sort of.

There are 3 versions of the F-1... the original F-1, then a revised version called the F-1n and then the New F-1. The problem is, many people refer to the new F-1 as the F-1n... which makes it confusing as hell. I was confused because I was cross-referencing the camera I was looking for/purchasing with pictures that people had incorrectly labeled.

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:16 PM
wib3

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon F1n experience...

I am a pro using Canon digital gear but still enjoy using film for personal projects. I have the Canon F1n and the NEW Canon F1. Both are great machines, built for a long life.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:00 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon F1n experience...

wib3 wrote:
I am a pro using Canon digital gear but still enjoy using film for personal projects. I have the Canon F1n and the NEW Canon F1. Both are great machines, built for a long life.

Post some pics....

For the rest of you Canon Film shooters... post some pics, both of the bodies themselves and shots taken with them. let's enjoy these old girls.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon F1n experience...

Have used the F1 since 1976. Still would use it but I closed my Darkroom 3 years ago and went all Digital. Best Camera I ever owned besides my A1.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:54 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon F1n experience...

Had a New F-1 in high school, with the motor drive. Loved it. I can still imagine the feel of the film advance lever (for those times when I didn't use the motor drive). It wasn't silky smooth, but had a certain grittiness that I enjoyed. As already stated, it was a super solid camera.

I also had a T90 and loved it for the size, looks, half-step shutter speeds, TTL flash and 1/250 sync. Pushing in the depth of field preview would 'boost' the fps rate somewhat, probably close to matching the F-1 with motor.

Those cameras are all long gone and partly funded the move to EOS. A friend still has a T90 and it's fun to play with from time to time. But, no patience any more for the film workflow, so doubt I'll revisit it.

Lastly, I also agree about the EOS-1V. I think it was the best 'all-round' film camera I ever used.

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:57 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password