Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Canon F1n experience...

RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon F1n experience...

I cannot wait for it to get here so I can hear this shutter sound and experience the pellicle mirror... I've heard that the pellicle mirror decreases the light transmission by a 1/3 of a stop or so and someone said I would need to factor that in, but shouldn't the meter account for that?

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon F1n experience...

Hi,

Richard, the F1 series never had a pellicle mirror, with the exception of the high speed units built for the Olympics. They did up to 14 FPS, and had an optional (needed) 250 exposure back. If that's what you are getting, wow, to say the least...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/html/canonf1highspeed.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/canonf1highspeed/index.htm

I have donated my original F1 and F1n's with motors to our local C.C., but still have one of my T90's... They served me well since the very early 70's.

BTW: Has "Sandy" made the turn towards land yet?

Enjoy,

Edd

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon F1n experience...

roboticspro wrote:
Hi,

Richard, the F1 series never had a pellicle mirror, with the exception of the high speed units built for the Olympics. They did up to 14 FPS, and had an optional (needed) 250 exposure back. If that's what you are getting, wow, to say the least...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1/html/canonf1highspeed.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/canonf1highspeed/index.htm

I have donated my original F1 and F1n's with motors to our local C.C., but still have one of my T90's... They served me well since the very early 70's.

BTW: Has "Sandy" made the turn towards land yet?

Enjoy,

Edd

Hmmm... a description I'm reading says that it did have a pellicle mirror.. interesting. I'll have to check it out when it gets here.

Yes, I think Sandy has made the turn... hasn't made landfall yet, but it is awfully windy and rainy already. Everything here is closed already.

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:30 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon F1n experience...

I finally got her... wow this thing is sick, so heavy duty... and the copy I found is mint condition.

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon F1n experience...

That is a beauty!

Looking forward to some pictures.

Enjoy.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:25 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon F1n experience...

Hi,

Very nice Richard...you will have fun with it as I did with mine over the years. The T90 is another "must have", with 4.5FPS, multiple exposure, and a wide variety of metering options. And the FD "L" glass...wonderful

In any case, enjoy!

Edd

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:26 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon F1n experience...

There's some nice looking older Canon gems, all neat n clean and in need of shooting; that L glass is

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:45 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon F1n experience...

roboticspro wrote:
Hi,

Very nice Richard...you will have fun with it as I did with mine over the years. The T90 is another "must have", with 4.5FPS, multiple exposure, and a wide variety of metering options. And the FD "L" glass...wonderful

In any case, enjoy!

Edd

Sweet.... I'm not a huge fan of the "T" series cameras.... but I haven't really had a chance to touch and see one in person either.

I have the 85L and the 50L FD... I'm trying to locate a 24L or even a copy of that 20-35L zoom that you have. Great stuff.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:26 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon F1n experience...

Richard,

I have owned two copies of the 24L f1.4; very disappointed with the performance wide open. Low contrast and very poor corners. My decision; I ending up selling both 24L f1.4's, then bought the FDn 24mm f2, and later the FD 35mm f2 (concave). Both are very good wide open, and much lighter for travel. The 20-35L was available very cheap after EOS system came out, as I purchased that lens NIB for 345.00.

Just my 2 cents as an owner/operator/user... .

Edd

Nov 12, 2012 at 08:49 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon F1n experience...

roboticspro wrote:
Richard,

I have owned two copies of the 24L f1.4; very disappointed with the performance wide open. Low contrast and very poor corners. My decision; I ending up selling both 24L f1.4's, then bought the FDn 24mm f2, and later the FD 35mm f2 (concave). Both are very good wide open, and much lighter for travel. The 20-35L was available very cheap after EOS system came out, as I purchased that lens NIB for 345.00.

Just my 2 cents as an owner/operator/user... .

Edd

right.... but they seem to be very difficult to find now... and when I do find them, they've been hacked up by people wanting to convert them to EF mount.

Nov 12, 2012 at 08:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

racoll
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon F1n experience...

That's a beauty, Richard! Enjoy and share some pictures when you can. BTW, if you get a chance to use a T90, I think you'll be impressed with it but for now have fun with your F-1N.

Andy

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:15 PM
voltaire
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon F1n experience...

Looks like a gem, Richard.

I went to the F-1 after my beginner Ftb. I echo what folks here have said, its a heavy duty camera and I love it. Unfortunately, I haven't touched it in a while including my T90 and A2. It's a testament to how I started my hobby and is prominently displayed in our home office. :-)

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:25 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon F1n experience...

racoll wrote:
That's a beauty, Richard! Enjoy and share some pictures when you can. BTW, if you get a chance to use a T90, I think you'll be impressed with it but for now have fun with your F-1N.

Andy

The T series cameras to me... seem to the models that bridge the gap between what I consider Canon's classic cameras (the A-1, AE-1, F-1) and the AF bodies. The technology is like the A-1, AE-1, F-1 etc... but the build quality and materials look like the EOS 3, the Elan etc.

I have (2) AE-1 Programs, an A-1, this F-1, an EOS 3... all of which I shoot. I also have a Canon AF35M and Canon AF35ML

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:42 PM
John Mills
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon F1n experience...

The T90 was a ground breaking camera in terms of performance, ergonomics, flash and features and without it there would be no 1 series cameras today. It is still my favourite camera all time. If someone made a digital back for film cameras I would have one on my old T90 pronto.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1943Mike

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon F1n experience...

I think you'll enjoy the F1n. I owned the EF, AE1, A1, F1n, and T90 in the FD system. Sold them all when Canon changed their mount and bought an EOS 1n and EOS 3. Sold them when I went digital with the 10D, 5D (classic), 30D, 40D, and 7D. I still have the 5Dc, 40D and 7D. Personally I believe that the T90 was the best film camera I ever owned. So advanced for its time ..... precursor to Canon digital SLR's. I also enjoyed playing around with the eye controlled focus (ecf) of the EOS 3 and I don't understand why they don't try ecf on some of their digital cameras. Certainly they should have been able to refine that system by this time.

Mike

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM
ZoneV_Nikon
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon F1n experience...

Still want one of these...15 years of wanting one...must resist...

Is it true, btw, that even with the motor drive turned off, you can use the motor drive's shutter button to fire the F1N?

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:17 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon F1n experience...

1943Mike wrote:
I think you'll enjoy the F1n. I owned the EF, AE1, A1, F1n, and T90 in the FD system. Sold them all when Canon changed their mount and bought an EOS 1n and EOS 3. Sold them when I went digital with the 10D, 5D (classic), 30D, 40D, and 7D. I still have the 5Dc, 40D and 7D. Personally I believe that the T90 was the best film camera I ever owned. So advanced for its time ..... precursor to Canon digital SLR's. I also enjoyed playing around with the eye controlled focus (ecf) of the EOS 3 and I
...Show more

man.... now you're making me want a T90. I'm gonna have to start looking and see what I can find. I play around with the ecf on my EOS 3 occasionally too and I have really mixed results. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it is way off. I'm guessing that is why we haven't seen it return.... but I do agree with all of the tech they have in cameras now, I'm sure that if they devoted some resources to it, they could improve it. Who knows, maybe they are... 5DmkIV with ecf?

ZoneV_Nikon wrote:

Is it true, btw, that even with the motor drive turned off, you can use the motor drive's shutter button to fire the F1N?

Hmmm..... I don't know. I"ll have to try.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon F1n experience...

ZoneV_Nikon wrote:

Ok... tested this just now.... with the body off, but the motor drive on, I was able to fire. With the body on, but the motor drive off, no fire.

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:46 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon F1n experience...

Richard -- I've had the A-1, AE-1 Program, AV-1, AT-1, F-1n, then finally two T90s that I used up until I had to switch (kicking and screaming) to the EOS system (which I now love). The T90s were the best of the FD bodies, IMO. The F-1n was always more rugged and modular, but the T90 more advanced technically (even if it feels plastic-y in comparison). I recommend giving one a try -- you already have the lenses!

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:47 PM
ZoneV_Nikon
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon F1n experience...

RichardLavigne wrote:
Ok... tested this just now.... with the body off, but the motor drive on, I was able to fire. With the body on, but the motor drive off, no fire.

Oh, maybe it requires that weird Frankenwire doohicky thing connecting the drive and the camera's battery compartment to work...thanks.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password