Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Today, Nikon announced the 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless digital camera, the latest addition to Nikon 1 series with Interchangeable Lens System. It's a total overhaul of its predecessor with a bigger body, a higher-resolution sensor and the addition of a Command Mode Dial to provide easy access to features and controls.

Here are the main highlights:
  • 14.2MP 13.2 x 8.8mm CMOS CX Image Sensor
  • EXPEED 3 Image Processor
  • 3.0" LCD Display
  • 15 Frames/Second Burst Shooting
  • Electronic Viewfinder
  • Built-in flash
  • Nikon 1 Lens Mount
  • Wireless-Capable
  • 1920 x 1080/60p Movie Capture
  • Advanced Hybrid AF
  • i-TTL Hot Shoe for Optional Speedlight
The Nikon 1 V2 will be available in November for $799.95

Oct 24, 2012 at 04:04 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

If only it would do C-AF with the FT-1 it would make a really cool little 2.7x TC for my Nikon 400 and 200-400, with 15 FPS to boot.

Sadly it seems from the specs I can find it still only does AF-S when using the adapter

Bummer....

Oct 24, 2012 at 04:24 PM
pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Growing isn't a great idea. Not very pocket size, and heading towards the smaller DSLR.
I'm sure the images will be great, but I'm not convinced about the size of it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:08 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

I think the size isn't the point with the V series. More so with the V1, but I suppose the feedback was that the V1 was too close to the J1 in size, and that for more serious use, a better haptic experience was more important.

Very neat camera though, very high specs all around (except sensor size of course).

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:13 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #5 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

First impression on looks alone: looks like an ungainly cross of a Sony NEX-7 with a chunky Ricoh GXR, not that I buy cameras based on looks.

Fast frames per second burst shooting is interesting but I can't see me - speaking as a dad not a photographer of things that don't need fast frame rates - purchasing such a camera just for the odd kids sports image although I can think of some fun things to do with the ability.

For $200 more I think I'd rather buy a camera with a larger sensor such as the NEX-6 and lens or for $300 less the NEX-5N and lens. If I wanted a small sensor pocket camera, maybe a RX100 ($100 less) although a GRD IV for $200 less also tugs at me. If I specifically wanted a smaller sensor fast focus interchangeable lens camera I'm pretty sure I'd pony up a few more dollars for an Olympus OM-D instead. Looks nicer than most of them, too.

My wife needs a small camera so I've been watching the V1 price drops while looking around at other cameras.

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:15 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #6 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Here are some preview / hands on links:

Engadget, hands on with video: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/24/nikon-v2-mirrorless-compact-hands-on/

Imaging resource (article only): http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-v2/nikon-v2A.HTMhttp://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-v2/nikon-v2A.HTM

CNET (hands on): http://asia.cnet.com/product/nikon-1-v2-46728393.htm

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:19 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

There are 3 reasons to buy this camera.

Pixel density

Pixel density

Pixel density

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:28 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

What does pixel density matter, unless you are trying to use the same lens to see further?

In the end all those pixels will be distributed across the image anyway, and no one frames according to sensor size.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:50 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Pixel density is nice. You can run into diffraction so soon.

Its stupidly small sensor, period. And thanks to no manual focus help, not really useful for.. um anything.

They should have do 1.3x crop camera with small overall size and dominate mirrorless market.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #10 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Mescalamba wrote:
Its stupidly small sensor, period. And thanks to no manual focus help, not really useful for.. um anything.

Its useful for everything if all people ever do is upload their images online.

Those who make large prints, already got their large sensor cameras.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Mescalamba wrote:
Pixel density is nice. You can run into diffraction so soon.

For alt users you mean. For normal people it would be tremendously useful. I will guess that this camera has the best non-DSLR auto-focus of any camera, possibly excepting the Olympus MFT cameras, and it has very high frame rates and some great video options. Very cool.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Nikon does NEX with a tiny sensor - wrong direction guys. Better luck next time, in maybe 2015.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

philip_pj wrote:
Nikon does NEX with a tiny sensor - wrong direction guys. Better luck next time, in maybe 2015.

I don't know where they're going with this.

The bodies and lenses don't seem all that much smaller than MFT for how Slow they are. Sure they were first to market with PDAF on sensor but we all know Olympus will be adding that in soon and Sony already has on the NEX.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #14 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Unless the high frame per second rates and consumer-oriented user interface are of particular interest to a buyer, there are plenty of other cameras of the same size that offer bigger sensors for less, for the same price, or for a little more.

Probably Nikon was too late with the intro of the original 1 series, or too early - perhaps had they waited a while they'd have brought out a PDAF camera using a larger sensor which you'd think would garner more interest from a broader range of potential buyers.

Can a shape change and logical update achieve success where the original 1 series didn't?

Seems doubtful.

But it is shaped like NEX, which is popular, and has Nikon prominently displayed up front, which will help it be popular. Who knows, stranger things have happened. And if the shape alone doesn't work, expect discounts to get larger before Christmas!

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Man, the F4 is getting kind of odd-looking in its elder years. I guess old people do shrink...

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Uncle Mike
• •
p.1 #16 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

More expensive than Olympus E-PM2 + VF-3 viewfinder. Approximately same size and weight. But much smaller sensor, and the system has fewer lenses.

Besides the 15 FPS trick, I don't understand why anyone would buy it.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:48 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Because it says Nikon.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #18 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

alundeb wrote:
There are 3 reasons to buy this camera.

Pixel density

Pixel density

Pixel density

Quite the opposite: If they had given the V2 a m4/3 sized sensor with the same 10MP of the V1 (so LESS pixel density), it would have been an attractive camera.

Oct 25, 2012 at 03:54 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #19 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

Thorsten wrote:
Quite the opposite: If they had given the V2 a m4/3 sized sensor with the same 10MP of the V1 (so LESS pixel density), it would have been an attractive camera.

Well, I am speaking about this camera as it is, reasons to buy it as it is. Of course you are entiltled to have the opinion that you want another camera. And of course I agree with you that highly specced cameras with small sensors are not attractive.

This camera is unique with it's AF-S capablity combined with high pixel density. The only place this camera is more useful than other cameras, is as a teleconverter for long Nikon lenses.

Oct 25, 2012 at 06:45 AM
brunobarolo
• •
p.1 #20 · 14MP Nikon 1 V2 mirrorless camera announced!

alundeb wrote:
This camera is unique with it's AF-S capablity combined with high pixel density. The only place this camera is more useful than other cameras, is as a teleconverter for long Nikon lenses.

If only it wouldn't be seriously crippled by the missing continuous AF...

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password