Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

mattr762
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

I did a photo shoot of a local cheer squad recently and ran into an conundrum. This young girls teeth are in pretty bad shape. I debated weather or not to fix them, but in the end I decided to keep them as is. Not because I'm lazy, but because I was thinking of how it would affect her.

What would you have done?

The rest of the shoot went great as seen below:

Kate - 5th Grade Cheer by Matt Randolph, on Flickr

5th Grade Cheer Squad by Matt Randolph, on Flickr

Oct 24, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

do more closed smiles. I would probably fix the color a little bit.

Oct 24, 2012 at 02:08 PM
GoodEgg
• •
p.1 #3 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

I wouldn't fill in the gaps unless she asked. She apparently is ok with her teeth, as she smiles!
Like Robin said, show off your magic lens and fix color.

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:22 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

Poor kid, give her a helping hand and whiten them up, she will be thrilled.

Dave

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

Ask her parents...not a public forum!

Children can have imperfect teeth for a variety of reasons, and it is usually not "their fault."

For example, I was hit by a hockey stick in the mouth (high sticking by an opponent) and it cracked and broke several front teeth.

One of my clients is a dentist. He showed me photos of smiles he has fixed with cosmetic dentistry, and several of the patients had discolored or imperfect teeth that were the result of medical conditions or medicines they had been prescribed! No fault of the child.

Then there are the childhood accidents like falls, etc.

Then there are just differences in when baby teeth are lost and "adult" teeth come in to replace them, and the sometimes "odd" looking mix of both. No fault of the child.

She appears to have a nice happy smile from what I see..and that is what I see.

Cudos for her to be on the cheer team too!

Edited on Oct 24, 2012 at 06:41 PM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:50 PM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #6 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

I had a senior several years ago who head teeth that were WORSE than that. Her parents called us after they'd seen the proofs of the photographer's shots asking if there was anything that could be done, especially in light of the student was going to have major dental work done after the school year started.

After talking with her parents she was really freaked out at the thought of being in the yearbook with teeth like that, and didn't even want to be in the yearbook unless we could do something for her. Long story short, we made her happy.

In your circumstance, I'd probably fix any problems in the group photos without being asked, if it's even noticeable at that small "mouth" size.

Time is certainly money, but if you thought you could fix them, and were up for the challenge, perhaps you could've fixed them, and offered her proofs of both to choose her selection from. Unless you're simply doing this on spec. Judging from that shot of her sitting on the hay I assume there were other poses for her to choose from.

EDIT: I just noticed she's a fifth grader. Kids that age are less concerned with their teeth than a Senior in high school, as these may likely still be her baby teeth.

Oct 24, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

Steady Hand wrote:
Ask her parents...not a public forum!

Children can have imperfect teeth for a variety of reasons, and it is usually not "their fault."

For example, I was hit by a hockey stick in the mouth (high sticking by an opponent) and it cracked and broke several front teeth.

She appears to have a nice happy smile from what I see..and that is what I see.

Cudos for her to be on the cheer team too!

+1

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:12 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

My guess is she eats crap and doesn't brush her teeth.

If her foul teeth situation is not down to these reasons then fair enough, I apologise, but lets be honest here, we all know why her teeth are nasty.

One of my absolute pet hates is horrid teeth and people who don't look after them. No excuse in my opinion.

Looks like you nailed some great shots during the session. The group photo is very well lit but I can see a few shiny patches on the girls faces, that could maybe do with softening out a bit.

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Ernest

p.1 #9 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

Did it ever cross your mind that it's a bad idea to post a picture of a minor on the internet
and ask the world what they think of her bad teeth?

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:36 PM

robertjm
• • •
p.1 #10 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

Geez!!

He didn't "ask the World." He asked fellow photographers what they would do in his circumstances. To me there's a difference.

Ernest wrote:
Did it ever cross your mind that it's a bad idea to post a picture of a minor on the internet

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:45 PM
mattr762
• • •
p.1 #11 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

Ernest wrote:

I cropped the picture so you can not identify the minor in question. The second picture is a different girl (and has good teeth). And I didn't ask your thoughts on her teeth, I ask if you would fix them in Photoshop or not. You totally misread my intentions here.

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:53 PM
Ernest

p.1 #12 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

I was mistaken for thinking it was the same girl. I just thought it was a bad thing to do but now I see I was wrong. I apologize for my comment.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:07 PM
WINN
• •
p.1 #13 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

I am a pediatric dentist who loves photography. I spend my entire work day trying my best to enable children feel good about their smile and comfortable within the dental environment. I can't tell what is exactly going on but my guess is an inherited disorder compounded by ineffective oral hygiene. Regardless, my vote (if I had one) is do the best you can to make them look good. Be careful; don't make them too white. Given her skin tone and hair color she would probably have a tooth with a slight yellow coloration to it. Good luck. Having treated children with similar conditions I know that she'll be appreciative.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

there not that bad

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:02 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

I would whiten them and do some minor fixing, but would ask b4 doing anything major. Group picture looks fun, looks like a great spot for pictures.

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Stu Scully

p.1 #16 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

JohnBrose wrote:
I would whiten them and do some minor fixing, but would ask b4 doing anything major. Group picture looks fun, looks like a great spot for pictures.

+1 on this comment. Although all I would do is whiten. The gap in her teeth is just natural (looks like she's due for more teeth to grow in later in life).

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:22 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

As an aside to the dental related question, I'm seeing a distinct yellow cast in all of the images. Check your WB.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:01 PM
WiPhotoguy
• •
p.1 #18 · Cheerleader Bad teeth - What would you do?

1st choice - ask parent casually if you can do your "normal" retouch on her to "enhance" her smile. You will know really quickly what they think without getting into the nitty gritty details of what is wrong with her teeth.

2nd choice- just do a small amount of whitening, and I would even close gaps 10-20 percent. So it still looks like her smile, but in a kind and flattering way. The "special lens" on the camera makes her look good !!!

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password