Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

mobius2005

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

Nikon D800 with 14-24mm f/2.8

Can't decide between the two. Which one do you like? Would you change anything?

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:04 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

#1 for color, but might benefit to establish some neutral WB in a selective portion of the scene.

#2 ... tonal values might make for a good start @ B&W

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:31 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #3 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

I also like the colors in #1 although I would try a slight shift away from the magenta.

Image #2 has lots and lots of what appear to be dust bunnies. Image #1 has fewer so I would guess you did some work on it by cloning out the dust bunnies. I cannot stand to do all that work everytime I use a smaller aperture. If a rocket duster doesn't fix the issue, I would recommend a wet cleaning. I use the copperhill method with pec pads. The cost is very low but you do need to change the pad rather than just use a new disposable, $1 swab.

Oct 24, 2012 at 01:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

1 for me too and there does seem to be a color cast although I can't identify what it is.

Oct 24, 2012 at 02:35 PM
mobius2005

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

Thanks guys. I did clean up #1 and added some red, which must be be the cast Ben is talking about. This is a new D800 and I started seeing this dust after 150 shots or so. I think it's oil.

RustyBug: Can you give me a couple of pointers on converting this into B&W?

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

mobius2005 wrote:
Thanks guys. I did clean up #1 and added some red, which must be be the cast Ben is talking about. This is a new D800 and I started seeing this dust after 150 shots or so. I think it's oil.

RustyBug: Can you give me a couple of pointers on converting this into B&W?

I cleaned my 1DS-mk3 in 2010 and it cost $2300 to replace the sensor. I have Canon clean it now. I shoot most landscapes at f8 and only have 5-6 dust bunnies to fix, always in the same location and usually still there after Canon cleans it.

At f22, mine looks like yours. But I seldom do f22 unless I want to blur water.

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #7 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

If this is oil, then you have no choice but to have the sensor serviced with a wet cleaning or learn how to do it yourself. I am glad I got the appropriate supplies and learned how to do the cleaning. When in Death Valley, I averaged a wet cleaning once every week or so. Usually I can go for months or sometimes even a year or so.

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

Oil ... where from? With only 150 clicks, if this is an internal source, I'm going back to store/mfr. And if it is from glass that is still in warranty ... same thing.

Not a really good effort (i.e. quickie ... my ambient lighting is kinda bright right now), but sufficient to illustrate that there is plenty of latitude in your tonal values to push/pull things around to your liking.

Mostly just a basic combination of B&W layer adjustments with mask painting on exposure adjustment layers ... S&P to taste.

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:52 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Half Moon Bay State Beach

Beautiful scene.
Maybe a color cast in the first, but I am really enjoying!
The second also has some beautiful pastel palette especially along the water's edge, but the sky has less interest. If you go more pano, losing half the sky (and quite a few dust bunnies along the way) I think the image works better.
Interestingly, I didnt think BW at all because of the pastels, but Kent's rework illustrates the potential and brings some more drama to the sky without pushing it too far.

Scott

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password