Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Geotagging Photos

orcastu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Geotagging Photos

A quick poll as I am interested in feedback on the current uptick of vendors including gps devices as accessories or within camera bodies. The inclusion of the map module in LR 4 seems to indicate a desire to geotag photos. What are your thoughts? Is the trend growing now that it is easier and do you find it useful?

Oct 24, 2012 at 01:35 AM
dimi

p.1 #2 · Geotagging Photos

I usually geotag vacation or camping trips, very rarely anything else. Seems like a hassle to do on a regular basis and really limited use IMO.

Oct 24, 2012 at 06:23 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Geotagging Photos

I use Eye-fi cards for geotagging. Very useful in cities, much less in the wild because there aren't any wifi points to establish positioning.

I tried GPS logging but I often found that Lightroom just won't get them to sync up.

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Geotagging Photos

i use it for myself and for the organizations i do work for.

i do direct to exif via either a hard wired approach on my D7000 or BT through the 10 pin port on my D4 though that gps is a little lighter on the recorded data.

all these have been direct tagged click on view map below individual images:
http://www.pbase.com/crusader/a_short_trip_to_california

you will note the tree in question is where it is by looking on the "map"

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:30 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · Geotagging Photos

Aokatec GPS module and Holux data logger does the job for me. Aokatec now have a combo unit but haven't seen reviews.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #6 · Geotagging Photos

I use the canon GP-e2. works perfectly, and seamlessly with ACR, Flickr... Only problem is if you need to use a flash! (you can still use it via the USB but not as easily)

Oct 25, 2012 at 04:50 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #7 · Geotagging Photos

I think it'd be neat since I do mostly bird/wildlife photography but I haven't really thought much about it. It'd be nice for rarities and nesting sites...

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · Geotagging Photos

I've been using Promote GPS with my 700's since 2008 and they work great, and play nice with L/R. Also they have killer customer service. One cable failed and they sent a new one out immediately, no charge (and it was out of warranty!).

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Geotagging Photos

I use a trail GPS and add tags to selected images after PP. We are often using 3-5 bodies so individual GPS would be a pain. It's also nice to have a real GPS for hiking.

EBH

Oct 26, 2012 at 01:08 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Geotagging Photos

kodakeos wrote:
I use the canon GP-e2. works perfectly, and seamlessly with ACR, Flickr... Only problem is if you need to use a flash! (you can still use it via the USB but not as easily)

Cool - I just picked up a GP-E2 for my 5D3. I am glad to hear it works so well, as I am sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:49 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Geotagging Photos

I do it for a lot of my travel photography, some of my landscape, etc. I do it in post. Don't have the funds for a GPS module yet, but I want one.

No much for my general photography.

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:14 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #12 · Geotagging Photos

How's $50 sound for a module?

I have the Aokatec AK-4NII GPS module and used it extensively throughout Kenya and Tanzania paired with my Holux M-1000C data logger without a hitch. Acquisition was fast and reliable. I paid $80 at the time since the new AK-G1 wasn't out yet. Personally I like the smaller form factor of the AK-4NII Bluetooth module over the newer AK-G1Reciever, you should lanyard both but the AK-4NII is small enough to not get in the way.

Order direct and you don't pay shipping, http://www.aokatec.com/Shop.html

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:46 PM
sparrks
• •
p.1 #13 · Geotagging Photos

I use a Blumax GPS-4044 Data logger. Had it about 18months works great, very small, light weight and inexpensive. Blumax GPS-4044

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:38 AM
tsinsf

p.1 #14 · Geotagging Photos

iPhone 4s and Geotagphotos app

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Geotagging Photos

If geotagging were built into the camera, and didn't have a significant effect on battery life, I'd be happy to use it (and I'd set up my workflow to strip it out when I export for web). I absolutely don't want geotagging to be visible to those viewing my photos on the web, but for my own archive, it'd be kind of neat, especially in areas I don't visit often, so if I want a new view, I can scout ahead of time.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:12 PM
orcastu

p.1 #16 · Geotagging Photos

Thank you all for responding. I have been geotagging my photos in post for 5 years now using a gps logger (A+ GPS). I have looked at upgrading it to the GP-2 but the price and some mixed reviews on it left me wanting. I must say I am a bit put off by Canon in that they did not include it in the 5DMkIII but have done so with the new lower priced 6D. I will be interested to see if it is accurate. I think the trend will be that all cameras will soon have this on board as the cost to include it in the board is very inexpensive.

Stripping the geotag for privacy reasons especially of personal photos of children etc in your local area remains important but I see no such need for landscape photos for example.

I have never had a problem matching up the logs with LR4 or other software. The most important point is to make sure your camera and data logger are in sync. I do that before I go out and shoot by checking the GPS logger time and syncing with the camera.

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password