Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (U...

badlydrawnboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

I bought a 50/1.2 and am having focus issues that haven't resolved even after micro-adjusting with Reikan FoCal. I sent my 5DIII (which I purchased in May of this year) along with the 50/1.2 for adjustment. I just got an email invoice for $284.

I was under the impression that this would be covered under warranty. Is that not the case? I will call them tomorrow (they're closed now), but wanted to check here first.

UPDATE: apparently they misplaced my sales receipt for the 50/1.2, which is why they were charging me for the repair (they didn't have evidence it was under warranty.) As soon as I faxed them the receipt, they zeroed the invoice and performed the repairs for free. They did an excellent job and turned it around in less than 48 hours. I'm very happy with their service.

Edited on Oct 27, 2012 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

camera=free
lens=charge

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

Actually, they have it the other way around. The lens invoice is marked "$0.00" and the 5D3 invoice says $284.

The weird thing is it says "Standard out-of-warranty labor charge." Both the lens and camera are in warranty.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

Maybe you should talk to them...

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

Yes, talk to them -- should be NC for both under warranty.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

Gunzorro wrote:
Yes, talk to them -- should be NC for both under warranty.

That's what I wanted to hear!

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM
tbartick
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

just did that...NO charge...same combo...bought the lens in July.

If lens is not covered, that may be the charge

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

tbartick wrote:
just did that...NO charge...same combo...bought the lens in July.

If lens is not covered, that may be the charge

Lens should be covered. It's a week old.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

That is part of their new business model. Many people pay up after getting a bogus bill like that.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:18 AM
jaytypes
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

I had all my lenses calibrated to my two 5DIII's and there was no charge the reason I left all my lenses was because the lady told me since the body was still under warranty there would be no charge.

I would give them a call.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

My apologies, I was under the impression only your 5d3 was in.

There shouldn't be any charge.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

badlydrawnboy wrote:
Actually, they have it the other way around. The lens invoice is marked "$0.00" and the 5D3 invoice says $284.

The weird thing is it says "Standard out-of-warranty labor charge." Both the lens and camera are in warranty.

where did you purchase the body? maybe they consider it an 'Grey' import without warranty.?

otherwise its quite funny that they think a camera thats not been out for a year is out of the standard warranty .

im sure a quick chat will clear things up

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

Even if it were chargeable that is an incredibly high price, it's 70 to match a lens to a body at canon in rip off Britain...

Oct 24, 2012 at 01:59 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

Lens and body should be covered under warranty. The question now is why 5D3 re-calibratted when it is doing well with your 85L and 35L. Make sure you test them all again. This reminds us lot of folks complain about 50L while their 85L and 35L doing well. What did they do to your 5D3 ...AF sensor adjustment

Edited on Oct 24, 2012 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

I just sent in my 5D3 and my new 35L for calibration a month ago and there was no charge

I called first because it was my first time sending something in and they said to be sure to include copies of the receipts so they could verify that both were under warranty.

Oct 24, 2012 at 02:34 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

mttran wrote:
Lens and body should be covered under warranty. The question now is why 5D3 re-calibratted when it is doing well with your 85L and 35L. Make sure you test them all again. This reminds us lot of folks complain about 50L while their 85L and 35L doing well. What did they do to your 5D3 ...AF sensor adjustment

I was under the impression that Canon would micro-adjust or calibrate my 5D3 to the 50/1.2, and that wouldn't affect how my other lenses focus. Is that not the case?

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:23 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

mttran wrote:

I was under the impression that Canon would micro-adjust or calibrate my 5D3 to the 50/1.2, and that wouldn't affect how my other lenses focus. Is that not the case?

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:23 PM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

badlydrawnboy wrote:

If you calibrate a body to a lens then you cannot be sure that other lenses will not be affected.
The body should be checked as within specification and the lens checked separately - then they should work together (as should any other lenses and/or bodies you have, in any combination).

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:34 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

Just talked to Canon. They didn't see the receipt I sent for the 50/1.2, which is why they were trying to charge me.

I've heard of others who had trouble micro-adjusting the 50/1.2, and they said they sent it into Canon with their body and it came back spot on. Nobody mentioned it affecting their other lenses, so I hope it doesn't for me either.

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:39 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CPS charges $284 to calibrate a lens to a 5D III body? (UPDATED)

I had always thought that they would provide adjustment free of charge as long as EITHER the camera or the lens is still under warranty. Basically, I thought, say, if I bought a lens and it didn't work well with my camera, Canon would ask me to send the lens along with the camera(s) that I used for free adjustment.

Isn't this the case anymore?

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:59 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password