end

Archive 2012 · Backpack for Canon to ski

lighthawk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Backpack for Canon to ski

justruss wrote:
I ski with a backpack all the time--

Bottom line: a secured pack, and stuff it with a fleece/extra t-shirt. The camera is going to be fine. Personally, I'd rather keep one or two light/short primes + camera (one mounted) if I'm skiing to ski (perhaps 35mm and 85mm) rather than a big, long mounted zoom.

Another consideration: Wear mittens as the outer, and fingerless, lightweight gloves (or just really light/tight gloves) as liners. .

Good stuff, Russ. I use the overmit/liner combo all the time, especially with Reynaud's, I throw a heat pack in there too.

I've done remarkably well skiing with a Tamrac Velocity 9 and can use the center camera slot for extra jacket, etc. I add a Tamrac bottle carrier accessory for some water without a mouth tube. The rig is super quick on the draw, including mounted 70-200/4, plus another lense and room for a flash, phone and filters.
Good for the lifts, easy to swing in front.

But hiking with too much weight on a one side sling is a bear. I balance by slinging (OpTek) the other shoulder to split the load.

My latest piece of gear is a Contre Jour ski pack I intend to take to BC this winter. I'll be skiing with beacon & shovel, climbing and descending significant vert. But I can't pass the opportunity to photo my mates, and do scenics. I'm debating my minimum lens selection, but still fear with a heavy pack, and a younger crew, that I may be lagging.

My quick review of the Contre Jour is that it is heavy, but well proportioned. It sits on my back well, and handles the weight. Bladder is an after thought, only 100 oz. Overkill straps of heavy material. Good zipper access to midsize organizer (places for batteries, cards, gloves, snacks), and room for a jacket, shovel and lunch. I like the shoulder and waist straps, very clean and ergonomic. Ski attachments look good, but I haven't tested that yet. There's crampon capability and gear straps too. I give it an A-

Anyone have any experience with http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-strapshot-p/211cps.htm
It would be a nice adjunct for ski touring.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:58 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Backpack for Canon to ski

whatever bag you choose, with a $2k lens on a set of skis make sure you have insurance!!

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:30 PM
manubo

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Backpack for Canon to ski

Dakine Sequence backpack....was perfect for me,it can pack loads of stuff ,if you decide not to take your camera with you ,you can simply remove the camera block and you are left with a regular backpack.
Another perfect thing : what happens when you ski and want to get your camera out of the bag ? You remove the bag from your shoulders ,lay it down on the snow ,straps and back laying on the snow.when done ,wou put on the wet bag on your back .
Well! Not with this bag! Instead of opening from the front,the bag opens from the back ,extra safety for your gear ,your back stays dry...
Besides that ,the bag fits snugly and does not move at all.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.