Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Pints will be dead.

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pints will be dead.

For those of us that can't play the videos, what is this about, better monitors?

EBH

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:00 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pints will be dead.

Yes...but that big picture will be glass that can be changed with a click of a button to a different scene that matches today's party.

If you'll notice, I spoke of changes of medium--and I specifically included "digital."

I rather think there will be less "today's party" than you may think with those big digital pictures.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pints will be dead.

EB-1 wrote:
For those of us that can't play the videos, what is this about, better monitors?

EBH

Some concepts really do deserve to be video, and "Lost Memories" is one.

Briefly,

The video opens with a close up of a man in a room, holding something in his hands, tears streaming from his face.

Then it flashes back to that man with a woman, his lover, in a Paris of the future. He photographs them on his cell phone and immediately uploads it to his social media cloudspace, then becomes enthralled in playing with it, sending it to friends, checking his email, et cetera, while the woman stands beside him, ignored.

She pulls a Polaroid SX-70 from her purse, takes a picture of him, and hands it to him. He looks at her confused as the picture develops. She walks away and leaves him there alone.

Then a massive digital calamity strikes, wiping out the clouds around the world, destroying everything digital. We next see the man in a small room at a table, the same scene in which the video opened. The camera tracks back so that we can see the room is bare--nothing on the walls, nothing on the table. The man holds the Polaroid photograph taken of him by his lost lover and weeps.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Dan Berg

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pints will be dead.

►►
Have to recheck my link as it did not work.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Dan Berg

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pints will be dead.

Link did not work will try again below.

Edited on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Dan Berg

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pints will be dead.

A +1 for us printers.
Two sides to every story although the Corning ad was quite good!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfbxu1_vincent-versace-discusses-epson-cold-press-natural-paper_tech

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pints will be dead.

no way, people rarely have time nowadays to order prints let alone organize their huge digital archive.
nice wet dreaming of appliance companies though. sorry guys, but nobody will have time and moneys for your toys.

pretty bad to see that even in their vision of the future people are still stressed about meetings, looking at news directly in the morning.
not for me :-)

yea and kids awake and school ready by them self? That was last drop which gave it out as pure sci fi.

in the meantime i would wish for phone which lasts longer then a day when used and some internet which is faster then 300kbit/s

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:41 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pints will be dead.

Kittyk wrote:
in the meantime i would wish for phone which lasts longer then a day when used and some internet which is faster then 300kbit/s

Just heard the iPhone5s (yes, s for second edition) is coming in December.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pints will be dead.

mshi wrote:
Just heard the iPhone5s (yes, s for second edition) is coming in December.

no apple for me for many reasons

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:18 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pints will be dead.

Kittyk wrote:
no apple for me for many reasons

That makes two of us since I haven't owned a single Apple product so far.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pints will be dead.

It would not be easy to travel with a humongous monitor.

EBH

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:16 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pints will be dead.

EBH

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pints will be dead.

Pints will be dead, but there will still be quarts.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:01 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pints will be dead.

More like a half liter.

EBH

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:29 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pints will be dead.

I agree that its getting harder and harder to sell prints. Photos on the new google tablet with it's 2,5601,600 just look !@#$ incredible. Even blows away the ipad3 and is incredibly dynamic. High School seniors care less and less about prints. We have recently discovered that when we post the pictures on facebook the amount of prints sold is reduced DRAMATICALLY. What we've found is that the kids don't care about hardcopy. To them, their phones are their hard-copy and as long as they can download the images and share them with their friends on their phones, they are quite happy.

I agree there's nothing like a great print but we have to face reality.

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:13 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pints will be dead.

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

you don't have to. An image is stunning on the 10.6 google nexus

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:14 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pints will be dead.

jzucker wrote:
I agree that its getting harder and harder to sell prints. Photos on the new google tablet with it's 2,5601,600 just look !@#$ incredible. Even blows away the ipad3 and is incredibly dynamic. High School seniors care less and less about prints. We have recently discovered that when we post the pictures on facebook the amount of prints sold is reduced DRAMATICALLY. What we've found is that the kids don't care about hardcopy. To them, their phones are their hard-copy and as long as they can download the images and share them with their friends on their phones, they are
...Show more

Twenty years ago the kids only cared about the wallets. They've never cared about anything other than what they carried in their hands to show to friends, so essentially there isn't a difference. The kids have never been the primary market--it's always been their mothers, and it still is.

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:19 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pints will be dead.

RDKirk wrote:
Twenty years ago the kids only cared about the wallets. They've never cared about anything other than what they carried in their hands to show to friends, so essentially there isn't a difference. The kids have never been the primary market--it's always been their mothers, and it still is.

Right. And the soccer moms are not only sporting their iphones and trading pix with their friends but they are "photographers" as well. The business is changing. That's a fact. Might not be the end of "pints" but certainly it's something to be aware of.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pints will be dead.

well we fight it hard. offered some family chronicle exclusive (printed A4 book) and sold so many that it made 30% of our 2012 income. We are still selling one every day.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:46 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pints will be dead.

jzucker wrote:
Right. And the soccer moms are not only sporting their iphones and trading pix with their friends but they are "photographers" as well. The business is changing. That's a fact. Might not be the end of "pints" but certainly it's something to be aware of.

Yes, soccer moms are taking their own snapshots...and always have. My mom was almost never without her Brownie Hawkeye in the 50s, and she's got lots of snapshots of me to prove it.

However, homo sapiens has put big pictures on his living room walls for as long as homo sapiens has had walls. The medium changes--charcoal to tempera to oil to silver halide to LCDs, but the desire for big pictures on our walls is hardwired into our DNA and isn't going to disappear in our lifetimes.

So the mother who take snapshots of her children can still be enticed to purchase big pictures of those children for her walls. And that will be true in thirty years, even if those big pictures are big digital displays.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password