Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Why is it that. . . . . .

gabemc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why is it that. . . . . .

to answer the OP question....i don't.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:48 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why is it that. . . . . .

Ugly lighting = bw

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:39 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why is it that. . . . . .

For me, ugly/mixed lighting and to add a more documentary feel to the images. I really love pushing colors so if the photo looks great in color, that's what I go for. I recently did a wedding in Hawaii, and the majority of photos were in color. But the prep ones were mostly b&w due to mixed window/tungsten lighting.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:48 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why is it that. . . . . .

ricardovaste wrote:
Let me ask you, why do you make any image B&W? That should partly answer your question, at least for yourself :-)

cooterbayne wrote:
Ricardovaste, my experience with black and whites have been done because the photos were film and were done in a darkroom.

That doesn't really make sense to me. Have you been shooting since before color film was invented?? If not then you selected b&w film just like someone selects to process a digital file in black and white.

brad

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why is it that. . . . . .

cooterbayne wrote:
why is it that most of you make your preparation shots black and white?

I don't.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why is it that. . . . . .

the_rebel wrote:
Another reason for many doing this is lighting.
During the morning prep there is usually lots of mixed lighting, tungsten, daylight, fluorescent etc...
Most don't want to spend too much time trying to balance it out, black and white fixes that easily

But B&W have always been a great nature of wedding photography, even though we shoot digital and in great color nowadays, B&W gives that nostalgic feeling to a lot of viewers.

This. ^

Mixed tungsten/natural light is pretty much the grossest thing ever. That and you can get away with pushing exposure on B&W much easier, which helps when working in less than ideal light where you can't reposition someone as with formals.

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:09 PM
cooterbayne

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why is it that. . . . . .

To those who found it so hard to answer a simple question and instead present sort of a "Smarta$$" reply-- next time please just don't answer. I only wanted to know the school of thought of why B&W was so common. I do not believe my diminutive amount of experience with B&W (film or digital) could or would really compare to the knowledge that most of you have with weddings, here on FM. However, I failed to take into account that with the experience you have gained some of you have also gained supercilious attitudes or BIG EGOS. So the next time that I post a question I will ensure that I exclude those few. BUT...To those who took the time out to answer the question, it was very much appreciated and Multumesc!

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why is it that. . . . . .

cooterbayne wrote:
To those who found it so hard to answer a simple question and instead present sort of a "Smarta$$" reply-- next time please just don't answer. I only wanted to know the school of thought of why B&W was so common. I do not believe my diminutive amount of experience with B&W (film or digital) could or would really compare to the knowledge that most of you have with weddings, here on FM. However, I failed to take into account that with the experience you have gained some of you have also gained supercilious attitudes or BIG EGOS. So the
...Show more

ease off the gas, mate...you are brand new to posting here and you came out with your own attitude in just your second post ever. Any time you ask any questions you are most likely going to get some smart ass replies along with serious one. It's just part of being on a public forum. Attitude and not being able to roll with it are not going to inspire people to take you seriously...just my $0.02

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
cooterbayne

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why is it that. . . . . .

Joel. This is not my first time posting here. I was a member on FM years ago, but because the common attitude that so many do show I literally stopped posting and reading. Since there are so many talented photographers on this forum I was drawn back, and since it was so long ago I could not for the life of me remember my password so had to create a new one. Attitude, I don't think I had an attitude.

Oct 24, 2012 at 01:21 AM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why is it that. . . . . .

this forum is getting ridiculous. there was no animosity. it was a simple question. maybe the answer isn't so simple.

for me, I convert to bw for 2 reasons

1) the light SUCKS and skin tones are horrible and really hard to fix and balance
2) it looks better in bw

Oct 24, 2012 at 01:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.