Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Why is it that. . . . . .

cooterbayne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Why is it that. . . . . .

I am not sure if this question has ever been asked here on FM; but I would like to know why is it that most of you make your preparation shots black and white?

CooterBayne

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:45 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Why is it that. . . . . .

Let me ask you, why do you make any image B&W? That should partly answer your question, at least for yourself :-)

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:51 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Why is it that. . . . . .

I have another question: Is that your real name?

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:54 PM
cooterbayne

p.1 #4 · Why is it that. . . . . .

Really, it is just a simple question. Ricardovaste, my experience with black and whites have been done because the photos were film and were done in a darkroom. Form, is that your real name?

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:59 PM
sgtbueno
• •
p.1 #5 · Why is it that. . . . . .

LMAO

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:02 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Why is it that. . . . . .

animosity on your second post here ever...well done.

I would think that because the prep time in nearly 100% pj shooting, and pj lends it self very well to B&W (because it brings more attention to the content rather than the color)

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:02 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Why is it that. . . . . .

cooterbayne wrote:
Ricardovaste, my experience with black and whites have been done because the photos were film and were done in a darkroom.

You shoot B&W because this was the only film you could get?

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:03 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #8 · Why is it that. . . . . .

I think prep shots are made into black and white to give the perception of a more documentary feel. In my opinion I feel candids in black and white for some reason really show emotion from an outsider's point of view. Maybe it's elimination of distactions, colours, other people.

Joel pretty much answered it

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:04 PM
the_rebel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Why is it that. . . . . .

Another reason for many doing this is lighting.
During the morning prep there is usually lots of mixed lighting, tungsten, daylight, fluorescent etc...
Most don't want to spend too much time trying to balance it out, black and white fixes that easily

But B&W have always been a great nature of wedding photography, even though we shoot digital and in great color nowadays, B&W gives that nostalgic feeling to a lot of viewers.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:06 PM
cooterbayne

p.1 #10 · Why is it that. . . . . .

animosity. I guess.

Joel thanks for the answer. I see most weddings done in that manner and kind of thought that was something that your clients may request or maybe even something that was thought of as mood setting.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nguyencs
• •
p.1 #11 · Why is it that. . . . . .

Because the photos look crappy/uninteresting in color.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:13 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · Why is it that. . . . . .

I don't make all my prep shots b&w, but when I do it's usually because the getting ready rooms are almost always messy and cluttered. B&W helps eliminate those distractions.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:32 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Why is it that. . . . . .

nguyencs wrote:
Because the photos look crappy/uninteresting in color.

I disagree. Done right, color adds a lot to the prep shots.

But I often give my clients both B/W and color copies of their images.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:40 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #14 · Why is it that. . . . . .

For me, it's usually for the reason that lilyphoto listed in the post above mine. Helps bring attention to the subject and emotions in the frame, and not the messy/ugly room in the background.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:40 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #15 · Why is it that. . . . . .

From a practical standpoint, it helps deal with funky ass mixed lighting that occurs in many of the getting ready situations.

And haven't you heard, everything is better with a good black and white conversion.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:43 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Why is it that. . . . . .

For me, it just depends what works better. A lot of times getting-ready is in mixed light or maybe there's just a lot of distracting colors in the room. Personally I LOVE black and white, it's not so much an excuse to not color correct as a stylistic choice for me.

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:56 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #17 · Why is it that. . . . . .

For us, it's often used due to an unintentional medley of colors frequently found when shooting above ISO 6400.

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:09 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Why is it that. . . . . .

tobicus wrote:
For us, it's often used due to an unintentional medley of colors frequently found when shooting above ISO 6400.

yeah this - it lets you arrange pictures in a theme on a page without having to worry about color clashing.

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:24 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #19 · Why is it that. . . . . .

99% of my shots are colour, and I find b&w processing not adding anything- just the opposite. But that's just me and I can easily understand that someone else sees it differently. That's what makes everyone so unique and our clients can pick whatever they like

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Why is it that. . . . . .

i shoot B&W when color distracts. During preparations i shoot lot of skin so i use color

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password