Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
8
       9       end
  

Archive 2012 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!
  
 
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


Not sure if they know what they are talking about, but someone on another forum implied that 70-300L + 1.4x TC III is recognized properly and does f/8 AF on the 1DX. They say that it was initially on the working list but then Canon removed it from the officially supported list but still left the support in there in the firmware. If that is really true (and maybe it is not), why could they not have done the same thing with the 5D3?

Anyone have a 1DX and 70-300L and 1.4x TC III? Does it report at f/8? Does it AF reasonably?



Apr 28, 2013 at 07:12 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


Although not as compact as the 70-300L, I'm impressed with the AF response of my new 140-560 f/6.3-f/8 lens.
I've been trying it with the 4 assist points in AF Expansion mode and it seems very responsive so far.
I also wonder how the 300f/4 would perform as a compact 600f/8 with the 2.0TCIII?



Apr 28, 2013 at 07:36 PM
NCAndy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #3 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


skibum5 wrote:
Not sure if they know what they are talking about, but someone on another forum implied that 70-300L + 1.4x TC III is recognized properly and does f/8 AF on the 1DX. They say that it was initially on the working list but then Canon removed it from the officially supported list but still left the support in there in the firmware. If that is really true (and maybe it is not), why could they not have done the same thing with the 5D3?

Anyone have a 1DX and 70-300L and 1.4x TC III? Does it report at f/8? Does it
...Show more

The 1Dx does focus with any of the 3 center column AF points, in spot, normal one point or one point with four surrounding points. The 70-300L however can only attach the 1.4TC III when it is at 300mm. I didn't try to see how far I could zoom out. I doubt I'd ever use this lens with the TC anyway because I'd be afraid of damaging it.



Apr 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #4 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


NCAndy wrote:
The 1Dx does focus with any of the 3 center column AF points, in spot, normal one point or one point with four surrounding points. The 70-300L however can only attach the 1.4TC III when it is at 300mm. I didn't try to see how far I could zoom out. I doubt I'd ever use this lens with the TC anyway because I'd be afraid of damaging it.


Thanks.

OK well that confirms that it does work on 1DX. Now why did they have the remove 70-300L support for the 5D3 and why couldn't they just have left it in unofficially as with the 1DX.




Apr 29, 2013 at 02:04 AM
abqnmusa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #5 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


I would wait for the official Canon firmware release before I made any assumptions about 70-300L support.




Apr 29, 2013 at 02:09 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #6 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


abqnmusa wrote:
I would wait for the official Canon firmware release before I made any assumptions about 70-300L support.



yeah, hopefully they will release 1.2.2 or something and it will work.



Apr 29, 2013 at 02:52 AM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #7 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


arbitrage wrote:
I also wonder how the 300f/4 would perform as a compact 600f/8 with the 2.0TCIII?


This firmware makes the 400 DO a more viable option as a 800 f8.



Apr 29, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #8 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


arbitrage wrote:
As far as I recall Canon has never supported teleconverters on the 70-300L. You mention it fits at the long end. Does this mean it doesn't fit on the 70mm end? Because that is probably why they don't support it if that is the case.

I know when 1.1.1 firmware for the 1DX was being released to give it f/8 that the chart on this page: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware
listed the 70-300L as being supported with the 1.4TC. However, going to that page now the chart doesn't list it anymore so I guess that was a mistake that they subsequently corrected.

I agree it would
...Show more

70-300L + 1.4x is called the 100-400L where I live - people if you want the longer FL buy the correct lens in the first place. 400 f/8! Crikey mate that's a bit naff.



Apr 29, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #9 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


arbitrage wrote:
Although not as compact as the 70-300L, I'm impressed with the AF response of my new 140-560 f/6.3-f/8 lens.
I've been trying it with the 4 assist points in AF Expansion mode and it seems very responsive so far.
I also wonder how the 300f/4 would perform as a compact 600f/8 with the 2.0TCIII?


1D X + 100-400L + 1.4x TC is pretty darn good combo and IQ is very high wide open, where I was shooting most of yesterday. Having the extra 4 assist points helps a lot. It'd be nice if it was like the Nikon and had the extra 8 surrounding points, but I'm not complaining too much given the end results.



Apr 29, 2013 at 03:20 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #10 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


Pixel Perfect wrote:
70-300L + 1.4x is called the 100-400L where I live - people if you want the longer FL buy the correct lens in the first place. 400 f/8! Crikey mate that's a bit naff.


If I wanted to lug around a big lens I could just bring my 300 2.8. And the 100-400 has worse IS, worse AF, and doesn't hit 70mm which makes it much worse for a general walk-around landscape/nature lens and worse IQ no?? So lug around a 70-200 f/4 IS plus a 100-400L?

If you don't want people to use TC then why make them?

It's ain't a damn bit naff. What the heck is wrong with 400mm f/8? Even my 300 + 1.4x I shoot at f/8 at times because I want more DOF for some things.




Apr 29, 2013 at 04:46 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #11 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


Pixel Perfect wrote:
1D X + 100-400L + 1.4x TC is pretty darn good combo and IQ is very high wide open, where I was shooting most of yesterday. Having the extra 4 assist points helps a lot. It'd be nice if it was like the Nikon and had the extra 8 surrounding points, but I'm not complaining too much given the end results.


So 70-300L + 1.4x TC is a horror story and daft but 100-400 + 1.4x is an awesome thing to have??



Apr 29, 2013 at 04:47 AM
stanj
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #12 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


skibum5 wrote:
So 70-300L + 1.4x TC is a horror story and daft but 100-400 + 1.4x is an awesome thing to have??


No, you'd be comparing 70-300 + 1.4x with 100-400 without a TC.



Apr 29, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #13 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


skibum5 wrote:
If I wanted to lug around a big lens I could just bring my 300 2.8. And the 100-400 has worse IS, worse AF, and doesn't hit 70mm which makes it much worse for a general walk-around landscape/nature lens and worse IQ no?? So lug around a 70-200 f/4 IS plus a 100-400L?

If you don't want people to use TC then why make them?

It's ain't a damn bit naff. What the heck is wrong with 400mm f/8? Even my 300 + 1.4x I shoot at f/8 at times because I want more DOF for some things.



Big lens, 100-400L







Apr 29, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #14 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


skibum5 wrote:
So 70-300L + 1.4x TC is a horror story and daft but 100-400 + 1.4x is an awesome thing to have??


Actually yes. 400mm is entry level FL for birding and being able to get to nearly 600mm at f/8 is not too bad at all and gives you plenty of reach for many of situations.



Apr 29, 2013 at 05:31 AM
dgdg
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #15 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


Imagemaster wrote:
This firmware makes the 400 DO a more viable option as a 800 f8.


whoohoo! I have seen that the 400DO does ok if you stop it down a bit (f10-11). With good light it is an option.



Apr 29, 2013 at 04:26 PM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #16 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


Pixel Perfect wrote:
Big lens, 100-400L
http://p11997.ipscdn.com/public/style_emot
icons/default/facepalm.gif



It is kinda of a pain size to stash away when say doing all sorts of different things on vacation. Doesn't exactly tuck away in a cargo shorts pockets like the 70-300L does it?

It doesn't hit below 100mm which makes it a lot less nice for landscape/scenics work. It is not the same quality as the 70-200 f/4 IS for landscape stuff while the 70-300L more or less is.

What the heck is so wrong about wanting to toss on a 1.4x TC III for a little more reach now and then on your compact tele/long landscape lens?

For really serious stuff something like a 300 2.8 IS + 1.4 or 2x TC is better than a 100-400L.

It's pretty ridiculous that you laugh off anyone wanting to use a TC on the 70-300L and then praise to heaven's using a TC on the 100-400L just because the 100-400L matches all of your needs better. For some the 100-400L is awesome and if you want to use a TC on it and can now that is awesome. But so would be 1.4x TC III on the 70-300L.



Apr 29, 2013 at 06:42 PM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #17 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


stanj wrote:
No, you'd be comparing 70-300 + 1.4x with 100-400 without a TC.


No I'm comparing the concept of using a TC on either. They are NOT the same lens, the 100-400L is much larger and not as crisp and doesn't go as wide they are not the same lens. One may be better overall for one person and not another. I'm saying why does he laugh off how stupid it is to want to use a 1.4x TC III on the 70-300L and get AF on the 5D3 but then praise to the heavens that he now gets f/8 AF with his 100-400 + TC on the 5D3

That's pretty ridiculous.
I'm not laughing off and saying it is worhtless that he gets f/8 AF with his 100-400L+TC now. That's awesome.

Do people laugh off using a TC with the 70-200s?? No? Then what the heck is wrong with wanting to use one at times on a 70-300L?

I see people asking about TC + 70-300L on various forums all the time, it's not some crazy freakish concept.

if they don't unlock it and make the f/8 firmware for the 5D3 work like it does on the 1DX then people will have to spend an extra $250 and toss that down the drain to get a kenko (or simply dumo their canon stuff and get kenko alone, but then not have the higher quality TC for their big primes, if they have any) AND also get worse IQ out of the combo and IQ is at a premium when putting TCs on zooms. It's not such a HORRIBLE and LAUGHABLE thing to hope the firmware will end up unlocking f/8 with that combo (as happened with the 1DX f/8 firmware).

(It is great that it is at least gonna work with the Kenko now, regardless of how foolish it is to use a 1.4x TC on the 70-300L of course.)



Apr 29, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Andrew J
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #18 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


I know a gentleman that gets insanely great stuff with a 1.4x on the 70-300L.


Apr 29, 2013 at 09:05 PM
abqnmusa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #19 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


it is April 30 in Australia - v1.2.1 firmware is on Canon Australia site

http://www.canon.com.au/Personal/Support-Help/Product-Help/Camera-Accessories/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/EOS-5D-Mark-III

http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search?model=EOS%205D%20Mark%20III&filter=0&menu=download

My 400mm F5.6 + Canon 1.4X III TC works now


Thank You Canon



Apr 30, 2013 at 02:44 AM
goosemang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #20 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!


i haven't read this thread.

is there any reason to do this upgrade if you don't care about f/8 af?



Apr 30, 2013 at 02:53 AM
1       2       3              7      
8
       9       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
8
       9       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password