Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       9       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

I can wait another week for this, only because I've been "cheating" and focusing with an f/8 lens teleconverter combo using an aftermarket 1.4X teleconverter.

Question - does the f/8 AF work only with a single center point, or a few points clustered around the center?

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:13 PM
ruhikant
• • •
p.7 #2 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Tom_W wrote:
I can wait another week for this, only because I've been "cheating" and focusing with an f/8 lens teleconverter combo using an aftermarket 1.4X teleconverter.

Question - does the f/8 AF work only with a single center point, or a few points clustered around the center?

I just checked, the surrounding four assist points can be activated.
RM

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.7 #3 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Thanks, RM. From my experience with the third party teleconverter, the center "zone" AF points are by far the most effective anyway, and actually work pretty well.

Can't wait (well, I can wait a week) to try the new firmware with my Canon teleconverter!

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Greggbhill
• •
p.7 #4 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

There was a service advisory on the problems with Speedlite AF assist: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024807f5f70

It says they planned to fix in the April 30 firmware release... Any early adopters tested this?

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Axlbg66
• •
p.7 #5 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

The link is not working anymore ((

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:03 AM
atodzia

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #6 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

There is a link to the firmware on the following page - I haven't tested it.

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17558

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Shield
• • •
p.7 #7 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Anyone who has loaded the new 1.2.1 firmware - is it safe to assume I'll no longer be able to load the Magic Lantern 1.1.3 Alpha software anymore?

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:43 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #8 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Shield wrote:
Anyone who has loaded the new 1.2.1 firmware - is it safe to assume I'll no longer be able to load the Magic Lantern 1.1.3 Alpha software anymore?

I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine so. I will try out f/8 AF and see what 70-300L+kenko does (sometimes it would be nice to have 420mm without lugging 300 2.8+1.4x or 2x tc, obv the latter is way better when you can but at times it's a pain) in terms of both IQ and AF. If that doesn't work out so well then I wonder if there is a way to roll back firmware since I'm kinda feeling that the old firmware + ML is better for video than 1.2.1 is since I'm starting to get dubious about whether the high quality external recorder makes much difference. It seems Canon may have done a solid job with the internal recorder on the 5D3 and that all of the issues are caused in the step where they take the raw 2k sensor feed and then get it ready to feed to the compressor, something apparently quite bad seems to go on it that stage for some unknown reason, but it seems their h.264 compressor is doing a surprisingly good job for a modest bitrate and realtime encoding actually. That said I haven't really given it a tough test, maybe the external recording will show it's power then.

(Not sure how long it will take. For some odd reason they seem to have 5D3 development on the backburner and are focusing more on 5D2/7D/Rebels despite those cams all having serious issues with aliasing and so on and the 5D3 being the one that could easily put out the best video. Not that I can complain any since I have to have put any my coding time into it myself and they have done tons of fantastic stuff, they are a great team!)

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:31 PM
edelf

p.7 #9 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Is it still possible to watch the chargelevel from 3rd party batteries ?

Apr 28, 2013 at 01:11 PM
robinlee
• •
p.7 #10 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Tested the 5D3 AF at f/8 using EF500mm + 2x extender which is ok for still subject but as for BIF it hunts a bit before locking to target sometimes I had to manual focus as aid to AF to prevent hunting

Still subject.

Goldfinch by Robin SS Lee, on Flickr

BIF

Marsh Harrier by Robin SS Lee, on Flickr

Apr 28, 2013 at 02:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #11 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Argggghh! I hope the 1.2.1 leak is not the final release.

It doesn't seem to recognize using the 1.4x TC III with the 70-300L! (and it fits perfectly at the long end)

It doesn't seem to recognize the TC is on .

It doesn't report it as a lens + TC combo for micro-adjustment and it says f/5.6 instead of f/8 .

The AF is awful! It does a hyper oscillation before settling in (only 1/3 of the time is it actually in focus ) and it's so slow. It seems like they decided the 1.4x TC III is not compatible with the 70-300L so they don't let it work with the new f/8 AF mode .

It was precisely with this lens that I cared about f/8!! I have my 300 2.8 that works fine with either 1.4x or 2x III TC already but that is so heavy so it would'be been nice to get f/8 out of the 70-300L for the times I don't wanna lug the beast around which can be a real pain.

Ironically, now I guess I need to spend another $250 and get a kenko? Maybe I should dump the canon 1.4x TC to pay for it.

But people say the Kenko is not as sharp with the 70-300L (or other lenses) and that they clearly notice a bit of a quality difference with the 70-300L compared to using the 1.4x TC III. What a shame.

I hope the final release version firmware is different or they allow for a patch.

It's quite a tremendous shame since the 70-300L actually maintains pretty solid quality with the Canon 1.4x TC III. At f/6.3 (f/9) the quality is quite solid and it is MUCH better than upscaling the bare lens, much. It would be soooo useful! COme on Canon THIS is exactly the kinda scenario we wanted f/8 AF for! But seemingly being locked out of the new f/8 mode the 70-300L + 1.4x TC III AF is such an utter colossal wreck . But the optical output is so solid. So frustrating!

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:14 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.7 #12 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

I would get more opinions on the Kenko 1.4. I have had one for some time and it is very sharp with the 70-200II and my 200L f2.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #13 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

skibum5 wrote:
Argggghh! I hope the 1.2.1 leak is not the final release.

It doesn't seem to recognize using the 1.4x TC III with the 70-300L! (and it fits perfectly at the long end)

It doesn't seem to recognize the TC is on .

It doesn't report it as a lens + TC combo for micro-adjustment and it says f/5.6 instead of f/8 .

The AF is awful! It does a hyper oscillation before settling in (only 1/3 of the time is it actually in focus ) and it's so slow. It seems like they decided the 1.4x TC III is not compatible with the
...Show more

Perhaps they excluded the 70-300L intentionally to avoid accidental lens damage.
As far as I know, the 1.4x extender only fits on the 70-300L from the 250mm to 300mm range.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:28 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.7 #14 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

As far as I recall Canon has never supported teleconverters on the 70-300L. You mention it fits at the long end. Does this mean it doesn't fit on the 70mm end? Because that is probably why they don't support it if that is the case.

I know when 1.1.1 firmware for the 1DX was being released to give it f/8 that the chart on this page: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware
listed the 70-300L as being supported with the 1.4TC. However, going to that page now the chart doesn't list it anymore so I guess that was a mistake that they subsequently corrected.

I agree it would be a nice compact 420mm combo for use in good lighting. Would the AF be any better with the Kenko? I wonder because the camera would also see it as f/5.6 wouldn't it?

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:32 PM
robinlee
• •
p.7 #15 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

I have only Kenko extender at the moment (above images were taken using Kenko 2x Pro 300 DG) although looking to purchase Canon 1.4x to add to my arsenal and prefer stacking both 1.4x than using 2x extender.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.7 #16 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

The 70-200 variants + the 100-400 are the only zooms supported by the new extenders, see e.g.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/updates_supertelephoto_article.shtml

look at the table at the end of the article.

My 1DmkIV will be sold ASAP when the new 5DmkIII FW is out and I can personally confirm it works at least as good as the 1DmkIV AF at f8.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.7 #17 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

You want to stack two 1.4x on the 70-300

EBH

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #18 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

arbitrage wrote:
As far as I recall Canon has never supported teleconverters on the 70-300L. You mention it fits at the long end. Does this mean it doesn't fit on the 70mm end? Because that is probably why they don't support it if that is the case.

I know when 1.1.1 firmware for the 1DX was being released to give it f/8 that the chart on this page: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware
listed the 70-300L as being supported with the 1.4TC. However, going to that page now the chart doesn't list it anymore so I guess that was a mistake that they subsequently corrected.

I agree it would
...Show more

Someone said that with the kenko it reports at f/8 and works in the new AF mode. But that the kenko gives worse micro-contrast.

Even if they are afraid to list the 70-300L as supported, fine, but they coulda still let it work anyway . Damn what a pain. This firmware is turning into a bust for me.

I don't know if the focus was perfect on this since it wsn't 10x liveview and the AF is very dodgy but one of the better looking frames produced this, not exactly THE sharpest thing in the world, but plenty useful and usable and with more noticeably more detail than an upscale:

so it would be nice if they at least secretly unlocked the f/8 AF and let it recognize the 70-300+TC combo for everything even if they leave it out of their officially supported list!

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 06:53 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #19 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Perhaps they excluded the 70-300L intentionally to avoid accidental lens damage.
As far as I know, the 1.4x extender only fits on the 70-300L from the 250mm to 300mm range.

Yeah I'm sure that is the reason, but it would be nice if they'd make it work anyway even if they don't put in the supported list. They could say warn to not use it (to fend of the sue happy world we are in and make the lawyers happy) and then enable it anyway, off the record. The 70-300L is awesome for general walk-around/hiking/long landscape and to be able to just pop on a 1.4x TC and use it at 300mm if wildlife pops up or when you don't want to hand hold a big super-tele would be awfully nice. Certainly one of a few main reasons people wanted f/8 to begin with.

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 06:55 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:48 PM
robinlee
• •
p.7 #20 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

No no, stack two 1.4x on my EF500mm

EB-1 wrote:
You want to stack two 1.4x on the 70-300

EBH

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:54 PM
       8       9       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password