Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              8       9       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Glenn NK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

It's been my impression for quite some time that Canon is run by "bean counters".

They seem to have the technical and engineering know how, but does it get crippled by management with their MBA approach? (bracing for some flames here).

Is anybody else here a Dilbert fan?

Glenn

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

LMAO

Canon listens to customers ...
they are providing new customer desired features in firmware update !

yet Canon is trashed by forum users for their effort

I suspect Canon will also update the focus point illumination setting in firmware in the future

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

i am happy with the $3000+ cost the 1dx cost me over my 5d iii.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Todd Klassy wrote:
The reasons this is being announced now is because:

(1) Magic Lantern announced a new firmware update for the 7D that included clean HDMI output, among other detailed features that make movie making much easier.

(2) Less than a week later (emphasis on only a "week") they announced the same update to their Alpha 2 software for the 5D Mark III.

(3) Magic Lantern's firmware update is an open source product that is designed primarily for video users. However, recently there have been some who have opined on this an other bulletin boards that it may not be difficult for Magic Lantern's
...Show more

Wow. Bitter much? If you can do it some much better, why don't you go work for Canon and fix the problem.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Todd Klassy wrote:
Canon can kiss my you-know-what. "Sorry suckers, you'll have to wait six more months for an update that should have been included in its original offering. Oh, and that AF point illumination issue that we didn't warn early adopters about? Forget it about it. You don't really need it. We know cameras better than you." I swear, their executives are idiots wrapped in a moron and sprinkled with stupid.

Bye-bye. Don't let the screen door hit you on your "you-know-what" on the way out.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

NormanPCN wrote:
F8 is probably only a few lines of code

The software is more complex than you assume.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Anyone dealing with software changes for the public (not just for yourself) will know that these things take time to test everything properly...especially for the flak they will get for screwing it up. Software porting from one platform (1DX) to another (5D3) is not that simple based on my experience with avionics software changes that I deal with in my day job.

I'm not surprised about the lead time. Why announcing it so early? I guess because of the competition...Nikon, even the D600 which is much cheaper has uncompressed HDMI and f/8 focusing...I'm committed to Canon but I can understand that some people are already jumping ship.

I don't use video but I really welcome the f/8 af change. Hopefully my 400 f/5.6 + 1.4X II combo will work.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM
pompo
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

they meant April 1st! lol

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

NormanPCN wrote:
F8 is probably only a few lines of code.

I guarantee that it won't be.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

fraga wrote:
The big problem with sony is the lack of a more diverse range of lenses.
IMHO they will never be a real threat to canon and nikon until they increase their lens lineup considerably.
And that takes time.
A lot of time.

+1

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Caleb Williams wrote:
Wow. Bitter much? If you can do it some much better, why don't you go work for Canon and fix the problem.

Brilliant response, for a fifth grader. I didn't know this forum was strictly for those who wish to praise Canon.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

diverhank wrote:
I don't use video but I really welcome the f/8 af change. Hopefully my 400 f/5.6 + 1.4X II combo will work.

I may use the uncompressed video out a little, but am especially looking forward to the F8 focusing. I have the 1.4X III and both the 400 F5.6 and 100-400 lenses to try it with. On a sunny day, when out on my kayak, it will add that much more reach, with little additional weight, compared to a 500 or 600mm lens (even if I could afford one). I think Canon is to be commended for adding these features, per our requests.

It will be interesting to see how the IQ and functionality of the 5D III with 1.4 III and 400 5.6 will at F8 compare to the 7D and 400 5.6, especially for BIF (food for another topic).

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Monito wrote:

+1 - as a software engineer, I can definitely assure you that it's absolutely **NOT** "a few lines of code". Embedded software is a very complicated beast, where the slightest problems can really mess things up. It takes time for development, testing, more testing, etc.

Speaking of that quote, a few years ago, a couple of prior co-workers were guilty of saying the exact same thing about an issue we had with one instrument we worked with. Then we discovered that "a few lines of code" actually meant "several thousand lines of low level assembly code that performs floating point calculations that would take 2 years to re-validate and test because this is a safety-critical component".

That was a nice piece of humble pie.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

I think Canon is going to set a longer product cycle for it's DSLRs.

Look at 7D: they made available firmware v2, with new features. "Almost" 7D2

The new 5D3 firmware is set to ship more than 1 year after initial product release. 5D2 was 3 years after 5D, 5D3 was 3.5years after 5D2, I think we shall see 5D4 sometimes after 2016.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Todd Klassy wrote:
Brilliant response, for a fifth grader. I didn't know this forum was strictly for those who wish to praise Canon.

Huh! Caleb is right on. How long should it take and what exactly should Canon do? I'm sure all of the engineering and accounting graduates have the answers. Please share.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

good to know Canon will update for F8 focusing in April
I am liking the 5D III even more after the firmware update announcement

My non-reporting 1.4X TC is givnig very good IQ in the meantime - 400mm F5.6 / 1.4X TC

Tamron SP AF 1.4x Pro TC

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM
J_Glowacki
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

6 months so they can avoid the 7D upgrade fiasco........

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:01 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Glenn NK wrote:
It's been my impression for quite some time that Canon is run by "bean counters".

They seem to have the technical and engineering know how, but does it get crippled by management with their MBA approach? (bracing for some flames here).

Is anybody else here a Dilbert fan?

Glenn

very obvious

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:07 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

Monito wrote:

Considering they already have it coded for the 1DX, come on man. If it takes six months to copy that code over they'd still be programming the very first DSLR and have it ready for release in another decade perhaps.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:08 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

erikburd wrote:
+1 - as a software engineer, I can definitely assure you that it's absolutely **NOT** "a few lines of code". Embedded software is a very complicated beast, where the slightest problems can really mess things up. It takes time for development, testing, more testing, etc.

Speaking of that quote, a few years ago, a couple of prior co-workers were guilty of saying the exact same thing about an issue we had with one instrument we worked with. Then we discovered that "a few lines of code" actually meant "several thousand lines of low level assembly code that performs floating point calculations
...Show more

Yeah, but come on, they have it already done for the 1DX. Look at how much code there is in the 5D3 or whatnot, look at how fast they fixed the 5D2 black sensor dots, etc. If it takes six months to copy over the 1DX f/8 to the 5D3 there is no remote way they could have yet had time to have even finished the very first firmware for the D30 yet.
And look at ML, that was basically one guy without any documentation or resources.

Not that I want to look a gift horse in the mouth though, since it's a pretty good thing indeed.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.