Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me ...
  
 
ndirienzo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


Alright, sorry for another one of these threads. A quick rundown... a close friend of mine asked me to shoot their wedding. I've never shot a wedding before, although I've been an avid photographer for a while now and feel that I'm more than capable (which is why they asked). I have a couple good friends that a pros and I've very aware of what goes into shooting a wedding. I'm admittedly much better with natural light than I am with flashes, although I'm still capable of taking decent photos with them. They're having it at a family member's lakehouse in northern Wisconsin, which are conditions that I could probably deal with quite well. The thing I haven't done is deal with the chaos of shooting a wedding, which I know if one of the hardest parts.

I told my friend my skills and potential limitations, and that although I could probably do a good job, that I could make a mistake or two from being a novice. He mentioned that the wedding planner recommended a photographer, which of course, is a family friend. He gave me the link to her website (https://www.facebook.com/pages/katie-rein-photography/135368926494228) and said she wants $2k to shoot the wedding which includes all edited and non-edited photos on a zip drive (the photographers words). Needless to say, I think she's quite terrible.

Now, I've put myself in a kinda tough situation. I told my friend that the photographer is not worth $2k, and that she would need to give a whole bunch more in terms of specifics that she's going to deliver. I also said that he should research other options before hiring her, although I'm afraid they'll be quite limited given the location. The tough situation is that I've undersold myself, but after seeing their other options, I feel like I'm a much better choice. I've turned down shooting friends weddings before only to see them get some shitty photographer instead, and I always regret it after seeing their photos. I don't want to be to blunt and tell him that he should hire me, but I don't want to see him get crappy photos either.

So, my first question is, are there any wedding photographers on the board in the northern Wisconsin area (bolded so it doesn't get lost in all the text)? The main thing I would like to give him a few better options for photographers, which is the primary reason for this thread... any FMers in this area? Next, what's a nice way of giving a bit of advice when a friend is choosing a photographer... I tend to be overly blunt, which in this situation could end up insulting him or his fiance. Finally, should I just tell him I'll shoot the damn wedding if his only option is the woman listed above?!

Oh, and here's some photos that I took over my wedding weekend: http://www.nicholasdirienzo.com/Other/Wedding/23104958_783547

And recent photos from a friends wedding. My main focus was taking more candid pictures of friends and noting being an Uncle Bob, thus it's kinda a strange set of photos: http://www.nicholasdirienzo.com/Other/Rachel/18441360_j9DKvn

Again, I'm not a pro by any means, but I'd like to think I'm a fair bit better than the one that was suggested to them. Help, suggestions, advice, and critiques are all welcome.



Oct 23, 2012 at 01:48 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


ndirienzo wrote:
I told my friend that the photographer is not worth $2k, and that she would need to give a whole bunch more in terms of specifics that she's going to deliver. I also said that he should research other options before hiring her, although I'm afraid they'll be quite limited given the location.


I think you're ALREADY over-stepping your bounds.

What do your friends think about the $2K photographer? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All that matters is THEIR esthetic preferences as to what resonates with them ... what THEY think looks good. Your esthetic sense is irrelevant.

I'm sure there are a number of pros they can look at who are available. There are for every area in the United States. I'm sure if they look around they'll find something to their liking. Best for you to stay out of it.



Oct 23, 2012 at 02:18 AM
GraemePitman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


I'm about 3.5 hours from Appleton/Green Bay. Do they have a date set?

www.pitmanphotography.com



Oct 23, 2012 at 02:20 AM
ndirienzo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


D. Diggler wrote:
I think you're ALREADY over-stepping your bounds.

What do your friends think about the $2K photographer? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All that matters is THEIR esthetic preferences as to what resonates with them ... what THEY think looks good. Your esthetic sense is irrelevant.

I'm sure there are a number of pros they can look at who are available. There are for every area in the United States. I'm sure if they look around they'll find something to their liking. Best for you to stay out of it.


Yea, you're totally right, which is why I realized I put myself in a tough spot. Then again, when I was talking to them they were asking what sorta things they should look for. They didn't hunt this photographer down themselves, either and were asking for advice, which was probably why I was a bit more blunt.



GraemePitman wrote:
I'm about 3.5 hours from Appleton/Green Bay. Do they have a date set?

www.pitmanphotography.com


PM incoming



Oct 23, 2012 at 02:26 AM
jprezant
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


D. Diggler wrote:
I think you're ALREADY over-stepping your bounds.

What do your friends think about the $2K photographer? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All that matters is THEIR esthetic preferences as to what resonates with them ... what THEY think looks good. Your esthetic sense is irrelevant.


I would strongly try to dissuade a good friend from booking a shitty photographer. The sad truth is... we just
know better. And they don't know what's out there.



Oct 23, 2012 at 03:39 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



mccallmedia
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


I don't think you're overstepping your boundaries at all by trying to sway them from the suggested photographer. I checked out their "Website" (Facebook page) and you're right, pretty awful. Bad compositions, tons of direct flash in people's faces, poor editing, lots of underexposed indoor photos, etc. Looks like an amateur shooting with a rebel, kit lens and popup flash. There should be several "craigslist photographers" for half that price with better work than that person's.

I think the big question is do you really want to shoot this? I shot a friend's wedding once and I probably won't do it again. I did it for very cheap (about 1/4 what I normally charge) as a favor and I'd honestly rather just be a guest enjoying the wedding without any cameras strapped on me.

Maybe the best move is to just help them select someone better whose in their budget (which it looks like you're trying to do by posting here). You should be able to find a pretty decent photographer for $2k.



Oct 23, 2012 at 04:16 AM
D. Diggler
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


GraemePitman wrote:
I'm about 3.5 hours from Appleton/Green Bay.


Like I said: there's more than enough photographers everywhere. Supply exceeds demand. If there aren't many photogs in the town they're from, just bring 'em in from farther away. Look at all the desperate photogs here, even, willing to travel across state lines when a gig is posted.



Oct 23, 2012 at 04:53 AM
ndirienzo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


mccallmedia wrote:
I don't think you're overstepping your boundaries at all by trying to sway them from the suggested photographer. I checked out their "Website" (Facebook page) and you're right, pretty awful. Bad compositions, tons of direct flash in people's faces, poor editing, lots of underexposed indoor photos, etc. Looks like an amateur shooting with a rebel, kit lens and popup flash. There should be several "craigslist photographers" for half that price with better work than that person's.

I think the big question is do you really want to shoot this? I shot a friend's wedding once and I probably won't do it
...Show more

Yea, I felt the suggested photographer was pretty terrible, which is why I didn't mind saying something. If she was only charging $500 it would be easy to keep my mouth shut.

I do think it would be quite fun to shoot it. They're both good friends of mine, and I love taking pictures. That, and I tend not to like weddings that much, and would rather be moving around taking pictures. Heck, I took pictures at my own wedding! So yea, I would have no problem shooting it.


D. Diggler wrote:
Like I said: there's more than enough photographers everywhere. Supply exceeds demand. If there aren't many photogs in the town they're from, just bring 'em in from farther away. Look at all the desperate photogs here, even, willing to travel across state lines when a gig is posted.


Yep, as mccallmedia suggested, this is the main route I'm taking. If they WANT me to shoot it, I'm happy to do it. In the mean time I'm forwarding on the leads I've gotten here. I've already had several PMs from FMers... their work is all 100x better and at the same or slightly above their budget. It's also better than anything I've found just by doing a quick google search in or around that area. Gotta love FM.

Oh, and I've also explained to them why a good wedding photographer charges $2k+ and what they get for that money. Actually, I explain that to all my friends that complain about the cost... All you wedding photographers should thank me




Oct 23, 2012 at 05:59 AM
GraemePitman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


D. Diggler wrote:
Like I said: there's more than enough photographers everywhere. Supply exceeds demand. If there aren't many photogs in the town they're from, just bring 'em in from farther away. Look at all the desperate photogs here, even, willing to travel across state lines when a gig is posted.


"Graeme Pitman: desperate, and willing to even cross state lines."

I think I have the new tagline for my website, thanks!



Oct 23, 2012 at 06:29 AM
That Photog
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photogs in north WI? / another "my friend asked me to shoot their wedding" thread


I'm in Stevens Point and have done a couple weddings "Up North". I'm happy to throw myself in for consideration.
www.thatphotog.com
I'd have to charge a little for travel but it wouldn't be much over my standard rates.
And I'd welcome a "second shooter for the experience of it" if you are interested.



Oct 23, 2012 at 01:28 PM





FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password