Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · non-model brides?

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · non-model brides?

Hi dear photogs,

recently I was thinking about the "glamour" in the wedding photo industrie. The big numbers in the game always show weddings of slim, beautyful brides, often in absolut dream locations.

When doing this you have no real problems with background because everything looks awesome. You do not need to concentrate on how to position yourself in relation to the bride to make her look slim, you just can shoot freely and explore new and unusual angles. It will not look unpleasening, it will look artsy. Last but not least, you can keep it very natural in post, no need for skin alteration whatsoever.

Of couse you market what you wanna shoot, but is this the right way? Is the wedding photo industry only for awesome looking people?
I just discovered these very obvious facts for myself while comparing my recent Bali shots to some weddings I shot in my hometown.

I want to show it like it is in reality, "to tell the story". But the brides want to look good of course - so here start the problems when she is not size 36 and has no peach-skin.

Any thoughts?

heiko

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:44 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · non-model brides?

I can't speak for everyone, but you know what, this is what the majority of my brides look like... Soooo I'm not sure what to tell ya.

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:49 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · non-model brides?

Looking model like is more make-up and body angles than looks. Find a really top quality make-up artist and require make-up for the photo shoot. Find an assstant that understands how to pose for that model look and add that to the price. Assuming you understand great lighting and what angles to use the results will be a portfolio of images the average bride will fall in love with. Sure show a 5'11" model type but also a 5'4", 160 pound girl that looks great. Showing the average girl looking amazing will get you business.

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:57 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · non-model brides?

jefferies1 wrote:
Looking model like is more make-up and body angles than looks. Find a really top quality make-up artist and require make-up for the photo shoot. Find an assstant that understands how to pose for that model look and add that to the price. Assuming you understand great lighting and what angles to use the results will be a portfolio of images the average bride will fall in love with. Sure show a 5'11" model type but also a 5'4", 160 pound girl that looks great. Showing the average girl looking amazing will get you business.

I have to agree with this. If you can showcase images of real brides that still look stunning, you will definitely get booked. You just have to know how to do a good job no matter how she looks.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · non-model brides?

no one has ever been successful at challenging the adage "sex sells". when the location is less beautiful than i hoped, the weather sucks, or the couple is shy and not as easy to photograph (in the ways you stated), i focus more on expression and moment. one of my all time favorite weddings wasn't a slim bride at all, but she was confident and expressive.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · non-model brides?

Sergio Mottola wrote:
one of my all time favorite weddings wasn't a slim bride at all, but she was confident and expressive

Did you blog it?

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · non-model brides?

http://www.sergiomottola.com/blog/2010/09/jessica-brian-georgetown-studios/

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:02 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · non-model brides?

jefferies1 wrote:

^^This

It's all about flattering poses, shooting angles and lighting. The most successful photographers have always been good at making average girls look amazing.
- this is a timeless skill that applies to the old film divas from the fifties just as much as it applies today.

Make-up can assist with skin blemishes and save you a lot of work in post

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:25 AM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · non-model brides?

Girls do their utmost to look their best for their wedding day. Out of 120 odd weddings I've had less than a dozen brides than were overweight, or at least obviously so. Add that to professional makeup and hair, and a dress that cost a fortune that is loaded with stuff to "shape" her and it shouldn't be any surprise modern day brides look glamerous.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:50 AM
gabemc
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · non-model brides?

every wedding i shoot i blog.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · non-model brides?

I blog all my weddings, too.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · non-model brides?

Heiko,
I think you'll find that (in general) the 'big names' shoot for clients who appear more 'ideal' for two main reasons:

1. They've earned their target client base through good referrals and branding.
2. Their prices are higher and generally people who are going to pay a lot for photos of themselves are people who either just have a lot of money or who value photos of themselves, both of which often lend themselves to this type of client.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:37 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · non-model brides?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
2. Their prices are higher and generally people who are going to pay a lot for photos of themselves are people who either just have a lot of money or who value photos of themselves, both of which often lend themselves to this type of client.

I was going to say that exact same thing. We have few couples who are not more on the attractive side of average, because most of those who are not, care much less about appearance and are not willing to spend as much on photos/the way they look.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:40 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · non-model brides?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Heiko,
I think you'll find that (in general) the 'big names' shoot for clients who appear more 'ideal' for two main reasons:

I didn't know how to word it, but you did it for me with #2.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:05 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · non-model brides?

Sergio Mottola wrote:

+1 - it is not always about looks but how bride feels about her wedding day, the love and connection is more important than only looks. This set proves that.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · non-model brides?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Their prices are higher and generally people who are going to pay a lot for photos of themselves are people who either just have a lot of money or who value photos of themselves, both of which often lend themselves to this type of client.

True. It's also that because part of their being higher income earners has to do with their career success being influenced by their appearance. Since looking good plays a part in their success they tend to work out, play sports, have a personal trainer, to keep fit. It reflects their mind set about themselves. They have the money for it and they make the time for it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:47 PM
McGrattan
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · non-model brides?

Sergio Mottola wrote:

Not sure if it counts for anything towards the discussion, but I vividly remember enjoying this blogpost the first time around.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:47 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · non-model brides?

Tony Hoffer wrote:

This is a valid point.

But about good posing to make the bride look good: Not being forced to do that was exactly one of my points.
"Telling the story" in esthetically pleasing pictures is not posing, I think.

heiko

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · non-model brides?

heikoM wrote:
"Telling the story" in esthetically pleasing pictures is not posing, I think.

heiko

I guess that depends on what your priorities are. For me, they go like this:

1. Do whatever we can to make our clients happy
2. Create images that we love.

#1 will always beat #2 for us. Many may disagree with this and that's fine, but that's how I try to approach it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:43 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · non-model brides?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Heiko,

I was looking for the words yesterday... you found them.

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password