Anthony Lazzaro

Justin Bell

Patrick Dempsey

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:08 PM
ront
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Love this series. Great action shots!!!!

Ron

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Love the Lizard 1/30th shot. I think ESM needs to keeps those Ferrari's in chrome.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Second shot…looks like turn 7…catching air and shot #6…looks like the front straight…and of course the Vette…(F/32…but you got 1/40)…one of the better pans I’ve seen in a while, like the blurred background…

#45 Flying Lizard heading down to turn 5 from the top of the hill…I think that’s my favorite of the group…

Great shots all around…

I like the B&Ws, you must be resting the M9…only one. I think the M9 50mm rivals the 7D and 70-200 in IQ for those shots…IMO of course…

P1 seems to have disappeared, P2 and PC pretty much makes up the prototypes this season. GT seems to be the up and coming main event…

GrandAm next April 20 at Road Atlanta. Guess I'll go. What happens after next year?

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:25 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Second shot is Turn 3. Front straight is the field taking the green flag... AKA "the start shot."

Not sure I agree on the Lizard shot... I like it, but hardly a favorite.

If I'm in pit lane while cars are on track, I can't afford the time or risk of using the M9. People aren't standing still and I want to "catch" them candidly... doing what they're doing... as opposed to stopping and posing for me. I'll leave the 7D in monochrome / AV and set the 70mm-200mm at f/2.8. That lens also allows me to get a little more in their grill than a 50mm or 90mm Leica lens. I think you meant to say, the 7D IQ rivals the Leica.

There have only been two-three P1 entries all year. GT racing has dominated the Series competition for nearly three years now. I think if P2 and PC are combined (only a motor and tire difference for the most part) you'll see more interest. I'm hoping we'll see P2 and GT as Pro classes for 2014 and DP and GT (from Grand Am) as ProAm classes.

I'm glad they're running a dual ticket at Road America next year. I'd have liked to have seen two events to help with the logistical transition.

No Mid-Ohio for 2013 is a bit disappointing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:57 AM
pappawheely
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

I was wondering how the chrome cars would photograph. Are they going to keep the cars like that? I can imagine some great shots from you working with the chrome.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:42 AM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

pappawheely wrote:
I was wondering how the chrome cars would photograph. Are they going to keep the cars like that? I can imagine some great shots from you working with the chrome.

Nope... pretty sure it's a one-off livery. Ed (Brown) wanted to do something special while getting exposure for another of Patron's brands... Ultimat Vodka.

JT

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:47 AM
timeasterday

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Were you up on that wooden deck for the start shot? I like that shot. I was below shooting through the hole in the fence.

Love the portrait shots!

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:36 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Great set JT, as usual. How did you like the new catch fence outside turn 1?

Oct 23, 2012 at 09:13 AM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Great set JT, as usual. How did you like the new catch fence outside turn 1?

Thanks, Travis.

You know, I stopped worrying about things like that a long time ago. I figure they're not going to change something for me.... so I'd better figure out a workaround and get about my business. It is what it is.

That said, I shot through it on a couple of occasions. It's fine.

JT

Oct 23, 2012 at 09:39 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

I know you can't worry about it, but it sure did take away a couple of the scenes that I like to shoot when I am at RA, I think they added a couple of photo holes after June, there were only 2 then, and neither of them were very good.

Oct 23, 2012 at 09:41 AM
Chuck Fry
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Tremendous work once again, John. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

ront wrote:
Love this series. Great action shots!!!!

Ron

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Tim Adams wrote:
Love the Lizard 1/30th shot. I think ESM needs to keeps those Ferrari's in chrome.

They were cool. Although, I think some of the detail in the graphics would get lost in the ground reflection... and the nighttime made them a bit flat. Definitely cool though.

I see you're shooting with the 5D MK111... images look great. How did you find the autofocus? Fast enough? I think I'd be okay with the 6fps... but with my MK11, the autofocus would lag behind with head-ons and my 500mm.

JT

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Chuck Fry wrote:
Tremendous work once again, John. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Chuck!

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

John Thawley wrote:
They were cool. Although, I think some of the detail in the graphics would get lost in the ground reflection... and the nighttime made them a bit flat. Definitely cool though.

I see you're shooting with the 5D MK111... images look great. How did you find the autofocus? Fast enough? I think I'd be okay with the 6fps... but with my MK11, the autofocus would lag behind with head-ons and my 500mm.

JT

The AF is amazing. I kept staring at the camera in disbelief, especially with the night shots. All it needs is a little light on the car and it locks on. I used it at the Reno air races too. Very pleased with the AF performance there also, although with planes at 500mph and 100-200ft away, I had a lot less keepers.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:01 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Petit Le Mans - motorsports

Yeah... I think I made need to upgrade my MK11.

Thanks Tim.

JT

Oct 24, 2012 at 01:03 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.