Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

ryanhart72

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

What would you do with it to improve your photography? I started shooting about two and a half years ago and have read a few books, watched LR4 training videos at Kelby training, read through many threads here at FM and taken about 12,000 shots in that time. I think there has been a slight improvement in what I shoot (mostly my kids), but its typically the same result for me - I see something my kids are doing that looks cute or interesting, I shoot it and it and the result is dull and boring. I intend to replace my "night cap" during the week with an hour of something to improve my photography. Shooting is restricted to weekends - just dont have the time during the short winter days. I am curious to hear your suggestions.

Ryan

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

Get an extra hour of sleep. Seriously, that makes a big difference for me.

In the winter months you can spend more time PP and printing too.

EBH

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:15 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

Making more kids to practice on later.

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

Having had a camera in my hand for 45 plus years it can become a challenge to improve or re-energize the emotion regarding photography. Every few years I self assign myself a project that is as important as any other work I might be involved in.

The project is to create in one month 30 pictures that I would display proudly anywhere, all must be shot within the walls of my home. The first few come easy and then by day six or seven it takes more and more thought. The time of the day becomes important as the light seeps through the window. BTW, I forgot to say, I can only offer up one picture per day, only one shutter click, not many and then edit.

So you would have one hour to create one picture, while looking for tomorrows picture if you have the time. It has proven to be a very good technique for me, inexpensive as no travel involved. All of a sudden that door knob or key hole, vase, logo, or whatever becomes a picture on your wall.

Give it a try, might help you look at things in a different light.

Oct 22, 2012 at 08:52 PM
ryanhart72

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

Taoguy wrote:
Having had a camera in my hand for 45 plus years it can become a challenge to improve or re-energize the emotion regarding photography. Every few years I self assign myself a project that is as important as any other work I might be involved in.

The project is to create in one month 30 pictures that I would display proudly anywhere, all must be shot within the walls of my home. The first few come easy and then by day six or seven it takes more and more thought. The time of the day becomes important as the light
...Show more

Thank you for the creative suggestion and I can certainly see the value in the exercise. The potential benefit in composition and creativity is exciting!

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

I spend at least one hour every evening browsing FM Forums, to become inspired and to learn about new gear and techniques.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:19 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

An extra hour and not too tired I'd hop on Mrs 'monkey and awake with an extra bounce in my step.
My photography doesn't need any tweaks, but thank you.

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

TMI!

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:10 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

and you thought i was just good at photography? Silly boy!

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

That beard isn't just for show.

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:30 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

TMI x 2

Jo

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

An hour at night? That's when I go out and take photos.

Kent in SD

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If You Had One Hour A Night....

ryanhart72 wrote:
What would you do with it to improve your photography?

Exercise. When I was younger and thinner I had more strength, stamina and patience. YMMV

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:06 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.