Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Ben Amato
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

First home game for the D1 National Finalist, Ferris State University. Lost a lot of talent but got an easy win on Friday against Mercyhurst. The SID had me shooting the crowd, banner unveiling, special guests, etc. most of the evening. I didn't get much time to shoot the game. You would think being in the championships last year they might be able to find the money to clean the glass this year! Thanks for looking.

Ben

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Two More.

This is the job I want for my retirement!

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Ben, #1 is great! Always nice to see some teams from Michigan on here.

Rick

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Wow...these are really great

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Rick: Thanks for looking. Enjoyed your Hope shots. Do you shoot a lot of sports in WM?

Jeff: Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy looking at your shots. Keep up the great work.

Ben

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Ben, I just shoot as a hobby and of my daughters. My actual job is as an engineer in Holland. I live about 2 miles from Hope College, so its a good place to go and practice. How about you? Do you shoot teams other than Ferris?

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:38 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Hey Ben... great job. Nice clean images, well framed, good low angle, not a lot to dislike! Thanks for sharing... post more next time!

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

steveyak

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Hi, I love the shots. Can you share what equipment and what setting you were using and if you did any editing? I can never seem to get the colors to pop like I see in your shots here. Thanks, Steve

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:20 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Steve: I was shooting with Canon eqpt., 1DX and MkIV. I utilized a few different lenses but most of these were with the 200mm f/2.0 lens. I try and vary my lens combinations during the season. I utlize 24-70 f2.8, 85 1.8, 135 2.0, 120-300 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 200 f2.0 w/1.4x. They all are good low light lenses and have a little different look. I usually shoot manual but these were AP. I shoot RAW and get a white balance shot for editing. To be honest the 1DX is almost spot on with AWB. When I'm shooting at Ferris State (like above) they have a low ceiling and fluorescent lighting which is incredible. I can shoot ISO 1600, 1/2000th, f2.8. Thanks for the comments!

Ben

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Ben Amato wrote:
I can shoot ISO 1600, 1/2000th, f2.8.

You sir, are lucky! The University of Minnesota women's rink is about 2 stops darker than that. I might be 1/640th max with no glass and the brightest rink in the area that I've shot at is 1/800th.

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:21 PM
steveyak

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Ben, Thanks so much for the information!

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:22 PM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Back in my day, I had to push TMax 3200 to 6400 to get 1/250 at 2.8 on my Nikon FM-2 at Bowling Green's ice arena

#getoffmylawn

(But these are very nice!)

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CCHA Hockey: Ferris State

Caleb: Ferris is a nice rink for light but it has its flaws. It's small and crowded. The glass is 15 feet high, no shooting over it. The height of the glass makes it difficult to shoot from the pressbox because you only can get the far side of the rink or the glass is in the shot. That's if you're shooting super tight with a 400. Of course their are no holes in the glass and they don't allow photogs in the bench areas. So I shoot thru glass every game. But I do have great light!

Ben

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password