Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Out of left field question about 5D2

derek.fulmer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Out of left field question about 5D2

I started a thread surrounding this question over at POTN, just looking for some feedback.

Please bear with me, I know it's entirely ridiculous to worry about or ask this kind of question but, here goes..

How much weight AND force can the strap lugs on the 5D2 hold/take? Are they rated to a certain pound of kilogram? I can't find any info on that on line anywhere.

FYI, I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

When attaching the shoulder strap to the camera, I had to use some force to slide the strap retainer over the extraneous strap that remained after threading it through the lug and the other slider on the strap itself. Is it possible that I could have loosened or damaged anything in that area on the camera. Is the strap lug on the camera body also made of magnesium alloy?

Because of the force, albeit most likely slight to moderate at best, coupled with my obsessive compulsions, I'm worried that I've screwed something up or pulled something loose in that area of my camera, thus ultimately dooming it to fail/break sometime down the road.

I ask that you be kind in your answer. Believe me, it's not easy to ask this in a forum, but this is what living with stress and anxiety coupled with everything else gives you.

Thanks guys

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:34 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Does the lug feel loose, or is it visibly bent/damaged? If you can't see anything, I wouldn't worry about it

I doubt that you'd damage it just using normal force. That said, I always treat my camera gear gently.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:41 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #3 · Out of left field question about 5D2

scottam10 wrote:
Does the lug feel loose, or is it visibly bent/damaged? If you can't see anything, I wouldn't worry about it

I doubt that you'd damage it just using normal force. That said, I always treat my camera gear gently.

I can pretty confidently answer no both questions.

I treat my gear well, but I don't handle it with white gloves on it either.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:43 AM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #4 · Out of left field question about 5D2

I believe this picture shows that the lugs are part of the metal frame. Seems like they would take alot of force to lead to a failure. Like scottam10 said, if they look ok, I'm sure you're fine.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:45 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #5 · Out of left field question about 5D2

I am 100% sure the camera is fine. If you are worried, take a big walk for 25-45 minutes and you will forget all about it

Edited on Oct 22, 2012 at 04:58 AM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:47 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #6 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Mpking wrote:

I believe this picture shows that the lugs are part of the metal frame. Seems like they would take alot of force to lead to a failure. Like scottam10 said, if they look ok, I'm sure you're fine.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Images/bodyinwhite.jpg

I was looking at that on DP Revivew and it looked like the lugs were a darker color than the mag/alloy body.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:50 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #7 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Thanks for the replies folks. Much, much appreciated.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:50 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #8 · Out of left field question about 5D2

If any one else feels like tossing their 2 cents in the mix, please feel free to!

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Do you ever feel pain when you are in close proximity to Kryptonite? If not, you have nothing to worry about. Go take some photos rather than obsessing over the camera. It's fine.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:29 AM
ytsaelee

p.1 #10 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Not a 5d2 but it's a durability test done by DigitalRev TV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k Hopefully it'll give you the confidence that your camera is very well built and should be used as its intended work equipment purpose to get the job done.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:08 AM
mak65

p.1 #11 · Out of left field question about 5D2

I don't respond on the forums as much as I like to read them. If it makes you feel any better I have read stories of straps failing. But, I have NEVER read anywhere that a strap lug came off - barring perhaps a catastrophic crash. That can be avoided by not dropping or slamming the camera into an object.

Like Ben said, go out and take some photos.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:22 AM
artsupreme
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Derek, if there is any play in your mounted lens when it's locked it means you have damaged it....does yours have any play in it?

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:38 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #13 · Out of left field question about 5D2

artsupreme wrote:
Derek, if there is any play in your mounted lens when it's locked it means you have damaged it....does yours have any play in it?

Ha! Nice try. I know that there is supposed to be a bit of play with all lenses and mounts thanks to the bayonet style mounting system(s).

Oct 23, 2012 at 03:55 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #14 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Ben Horne wrote:
Do you ever feel pain when you are in close proximity to Kryptonite? If not, you have nothing to worry about. Go take some photos rather than obsessing over the camera. It's fine.

I am a bit OCD myself (and my youngest grand daughter is too). AFAIK, there is no cure for it.

The good thing about having OCD is that we tend to check, check, check, recheck and recheck camera straps.

Oh yes, and there are some things in life that we have no control over, and we just have to accept that.

Glenn

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:34 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #15 · Out of left field question about 5D2

Glenn NK wrote:
I am a bit OCD myself (and my youngest grand daughter is too). AFAIK, there is no cure for it.

The good thing about having OCD is that we tend to check, check, check, recheck and recheck camera straps.

Oh yes, and there are some things in life that we have no control over, and we just have to accept that.

Glenn

It's always something. I mean, when you stop and think about it logically...I'm worried about a strong, durable piece of metal, most likely steel or magnesium alloy breaking from my forcefulness. Doesn't sound too likely does it?

But, when your mind works like mine does, logic doesn't always win out.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password