Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

I have two clean and checks, and coincidentally need to sell two camera bodies (7D and a 5D2).

Is it worth it to send them into Canon for C&C's if they are working well? As a buyer, does a C&C really mean anything to you?

I don't foresee my 5D3 needing a C&C, so probably wouldn't use the vouchers otherwise...

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #2 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

I think it helps with buyers. just mho

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:40 AM
arnold1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

While being able to say that you had your cameras cleaned and checked is a nice thing, I am not sure if it is worth the risk of any potential damage that one takes when shipping the equipment. Additionally, you'll need to be mindful of the shipping cost and insurance to send the gear to Canon even though CPS pays for the return cost.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:48 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #4 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

Sure. Everyone loves a clean camera

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:54 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

I think as the owner you're just as likely to pick up any problems with the camera operation as a Canon tech who sees the camera for a brief period

You can also check for sensor dust yourself: just defocus the lens, set it to f/22 and take a picture of a white wall.

If you can send it to Canon for free, sure why not

If it was me I'd prefer to use one of them on your own 5D3

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:07 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

mco_970 wrote:
I have two clean and checks, and coincidentally need to sell two camera bodies (7D and a 5D2).

Is it worth it to send them into Canon for C&C's if they are working well? As a buyer, does a C&C really mean anything to you?

I don't foresee my 5D3 needing a C&C, so probably wouldn't use the vouchers otherwise...

Fell in love that quick? The 5d3 is one heck of a camera!

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:08 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

mco_970 wrote:

With the pristine condition of the lenses I bought from you recently, I'd say no
But if you don't think you'll use them why not, can't hurt to get the bodies checked out!
Good luck with the sale Michelle...

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #8 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

I like a camera that has had a C&C. But I would also just buy the cheapest body I can find, so long as it doesn't seen like it fell off a cliff, unless the price corresponds accordingly.....

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

It might make the buyer feel better about their decision, but I honestly don't think Canon does much of anything when you send it in for this.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:23 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #10 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

Ben Horne wrote:
It might make the buyer feel better about their decision, but I honestly don't think Canon does much of anything when you send it in for this.

I have had a much different experience with C&Cs - I recently sent in my new used 300mm/2.8 is and it came back a new lens. Maybe the technican thought it was my birthday because he replaced the is assembly and about 10 parts for $0. I also sent in my 5d2 for a C&C and I think it helped with the sale since there were a bunch of them for sale - of course price helps, but if everything is equal nice to give the seller assurance that someone other that you says the camera is in good condition.

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:50 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #11 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

sperraglia wrote:
I have had a much different experience with C&Cs - I recently sent in my new used 300mm/2.8 is and it came back a new lens. Maybe the technican thought it was my birthday because he replaced the is assembly and about 10 parts for $0. I also sent in my 5d2 for a C&C and I think it helped with the sale since there were a bunch of them for sale - of course price helps, but if everything is equal nice to give the seller assurance that someone other that you says the camera is in good condition.

As a buyer i would agree. All things considered, if a lens or body was near similar price and one can show it operates according to design, or that the focus and operation has been tested, it lets me be more confident that I won't have issues.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:02 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

If I would buy a used DSLR, most important thing for me would be the shutter count (I would deny buying one without getting this information) and the body condition itself (visible on item photos). A cleaned camera with many ten thousands of shutter actuations would not be helping much.....(depending on the sales price of course).

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:28 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #13 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

Ask for free shot count which you can post on
B&S to placate buyers.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

You want the shot count on the return paperwork. Makes life much easier unless your in 7 figures

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:00 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

Good luck selling the 7d.

I'm striking out.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:08 PM
Robert Way
• •
p.1 #16 · Clean and checks - worth it for selling used gear?

I too am striking out.... selling my 7D that is.

Good luck to you selling your camera bodies.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password