Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recent B&W images

jtchuk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recent B&W images

My first post ever. Just a few recent B&W images. Critique away.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recent B&W images

Not quite sure what the last one is, but I like its tones. Not diggin' the toning on the first one. The set presents some insight into your "voice" and aesthetic.

BTW ... WELCOME TO FM !!!

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:14 AM
jtchuk

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recent B&W images

Thanks rustybug, much appreciated. The last one is actually an old uprooted log surrounded by driftwood. And yeah, I think I've been a little 'split-tone happy' these days and am taking it a little too far.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recent B&W images

RustyBug wrote:
Not quite sure what the last one is, but I like its tones. Not diggin' the toning on the first one. The set presents some insight into your "voice" and aesthetic.

BTW ... WELCOME TO FM !!!

+1... I like the growth rings and flower, but the other two need explanation, which distract from the image...

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:36 PM
jtchuk

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recent B&W images

oldrattler wrote:
+1... I like the growth rings and flower, but the other two need explanation, which distract from the image...

Yeah, the first one is the bark of a fir tree but I definitely understand what you're getting at. I had a difficult time with that one because it was about the interesting textures when I shot it but I didn't know if I should give it more context to minimize confusion.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:06 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recent B&W images

Welcome!

The first has nice shape and texture but looks a bit dull, probably because it doesn't use the full density range. Compare the levels of the first with the fourth image. Easy to correct with a levels adjustment layer and dragging the right setting a little to the left.

The composition of the second may not be the strongest. Consider some cropping variations and perhaps reduce the eye-grabbing bokeh highlight to the right of the clover flower.

The wood checking is a nice pattern and I'd specially suggest keeping it as a good texture image for future composites.

The fourth is nicely rendered, but too random to be a texture and I can't pick out a visual anchor to establish a meaning, although I'd suggest it might seem more stable and grounded if inverted.

Oct 22, 2012 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password